Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 11:52 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am not pretending that and you know it. I am just asking if there's cheap living available on LI as you say, please tell us which areas have taxes as cheap as the ex-pat paradises.

We live in the suburbs instead of NYC because my husband wanted a large yard to practice for the sport he is involved in and you won't get that in NYC. I wouldn't mind living in NYC, but there is an income tax issue that at this point makes LI property taxes a better value than NYC income tax plus NYC property taxes for us. Anyway, I like it here. He did not grow up here and he likes it here too. Amazing, isn't it?
Quote:
Very funny from the man who used to live in Farmingville.

It was my starter home and I still love it. We don't need to "upgrade" to Port Washington or the rest of the North Shore, although many people do for the prestige factor and to get ahead of the Joneses. I don't drive an uber expensive car either and I prefer to keep my cars longer than the show off types who lease a new one every 2 years. I don't need to "show off" in front of others. I lived in that environment when I was growing up and I found it phony and annoying.
My taxes here are already creeping up and the only saving grace will be no unions to really destroy it and send it into the LI stratosphere. Taxes are a part of life if you want to own in a good school district... I won't hide my head in the sand about that. There's plenty of places you could live on LI "cheaply" (again subjective) - you could rent for one or you could buy a small ranch on a small piece of property in a number of towns and pay under 10k in property taxes. Many of those towns are commonly listed here and recommended. It is totally doable. I respect why you chose the suburbs, I just would do it differently if it were me and I think more people choose the suburbs to raise a family than not... that's all. You're paying all that money to support schools (the vast bulk of your home expense) that you'll never use. From a purely financial perspective that has to factor in.

Sachem where I lived is a perfect example of the QoL choice... I could easily be doing Sachem right now. Heck, many people like Sachem and it's a good district by a great many opinions. I drive an old mini van for cripes sake and my house isn't some 6k sqft behemoth on a giant piece of property. I'm not in this to show off any more than you are... I just find that where I am is leaps and bounds better value for what we get with everything. Nobody is stupid for a preference - I just won't sit by with people telling others they couldn't "hack it" on LI or try to pretend "all of LI is the same". I'm not OK with living and raising my family in any LI town... I tried that and when the opportunity presented itself we jumped at it. Come for a visit! Offer still stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 01:24 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
I_Love_LI_but:
Quote:
And you made a bundle on your home after 30 years to be able to move wherever you want too.
Oh really, well who the hell do you think paid for it for 30 years? Paid all the taxes over that period of time? Paid for the up keep? Do you think the house was given to me for nothing? Add that all up and I didn't make a damn thing. My God, can you really be that ignorant! But keep on posting, I love it when people such as you make fools out of themselves.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-21-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 02:03 PM

355 posts, read 390,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
jetties:

Oh really? 1,840 divided by 5=368. 537 divided by 2=268.5. Maybe you'd better check your math skills or use a calculator. You do know how to use one?
Lmao!!!! sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. Can't be serious

Old 01-21-2015, 02:07 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Quote:
I_Love_LI_but:

Oh really, well who the hell do you think paid for it for 30 years? Paid the taxes over that period of time? Paid for the up keep? Do you think the house was given to me for nothing? Add that all up and I didn't make a damn thing. My God you really are ignorant!
I agree. So ignorant. It's like Long Island did the guy a favor by giving him a nice retirement as a parting gift. No. Long Island gave him nothing. He had to work three times as hard during his prime working years just to keep up with the insane, ever escalating cost of living and property taxes. He got to retire, DESPITE Long Island doing everything it could to bankrupt him and knock him down. Long Island is a mafia state where you have to fight to the bone just to survive and prevent from having your retirement or savings stolen by the Unions/corrupt pol thugs. Just wait, as gas prices come down, some corrupt hand will come out just to rob the people, whether it be in the form of higher LIRR fares, health insurance premiums, or property taxes. The goal on LI is to keep the sheep treading water and if they start to get ahead find a way to take it from them.

Last edited by ny789987; 01-21-2015 at 02:16 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 02:32 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Then please stop egging on the ones who left and are bitter if that's the way you really feel.
You know, most of the ex-pats, such as myself, really don't drag Long Island on this forum that much. There's only a couple of posters that do, but the ones that egg them on are typically the ones who over-correct and swing the pendulum the other way. This thread would've never went so long if certain posters hadn't gone postal and just reported it for the troll thread it is.

Couple that with the fact that there's many resident forum complainers who still live on Long Island, so there's that too.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 PM

ny789987:
Quote:
I agree. So ignorant. It's like Long Island did the guy a favor by giving him a nice retirement as a parting gift. No. Long Island gave him nothing. He had to work three times as hard during his prime working years just to keep up with the insane, ever escalating cost of living and property taxes. He got to retire, DESPITE Long Island doing everything it could to bankrupt him and knock him down. Long Island is a mafia state where you have to fight to the bone just to survive and prevent having your retirement or savings stole by the Unions/corrupt pol thugs.
If that ain't the truth! Insatiable demands of more money to consistently feed the cesspool of corruption which are the state and local governments of New York. These ignorant people just can't stand it that many of us have been able to leave while they're stuck there wallowing in their own excrement. They're bitter and angry when these facts are pointed out. Yet they know it's the God's honest truth. That's the frustrating part. It's these types of people I'm glad I got away from. There's so much pent up anger and jealousy amongst them. It's no wonder New York has a reputation for rude arrogant people throughout the country. I'll just sit back and wait for all the curses to come my way. This will only serve to prove my point even more.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-21-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 02:46 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
So everyone making decent money in NY has had to sweat blood and tears for it? Come on now... even if you're a mediocre IT guy you can make close to 6 figures around here. Just 1 example. Unlike many other areas of the country, it's just what the market will bear.

As for rude and arrogant - I just had a discussion about this with friends. When all the foreigners come to our great country, where do they go? Through our gates. These are the same people who push and shove and the concept of lines are foreign to them. You find many in NYC. Some of the nicest people I meet are from suburbia - you know the place where we're all supposedly so stressed and get angry at every little thing. Hah yeah right. We're the ones who complain about rude people, just like you. But the cause of it all is not because of long hours and the concentration is certainly not on LI.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-21-2015 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 04:47 PM

I feel for you. You sound just as I did before I got out. I was somewhat of a political activist only on the Conservative side. I was constantly writing letters to the papers and to my state and local reprehensatives, note that I did not say representatives. They only represent the public employee's unions who could care less about those who foot the bill. Because of my persistence, I was able to speak personally with many of them including "King George" Pataki when he was Mayor of Peekskill. What a disappointment he turned out to be. However anything was better than Cuomo, now New York is stuck with his son. The one who stated "that people who do not think like him are not welcome in New York." What a fine way to represent your state as governor. But, the people elected him. Twice. I guess those same people "think like him". Yet wonder why some people such as myself have such hostility towards New York? However the letters, phone calls, personal contact was all an exercise in futility. New York is hopelessly broken that is except for two classes of people the rich who can easily afford to live there and those who live off of everyone else to some degree or the other. The rest for the most part have to struggle, and struggle dearly for the privilege of living there.

Yes, you can do something about it. Start making plans to get out. It may not be in the near future but start planning anyway. There are many places you can live in this great big wonderful country besides New York where you can have a better quality of life. A wonderful quality of life I might add. I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-21-2015 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 05:55 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
ny789987:

If that ain't the truth! Insatiable demands of more money to consistently feed the cesspool of corruption which are the state and local governments of New York. These ignorant people just can't stand it that many of us have been able to leave while they're stuck there wallowing in their own excrement. They're bitter and angry when these facts are pointed out. Yet they know it's the God's honest truth. That's the frustrating part. It's these types of people I'm glad I got away from. There's so much pent up anger and jealousy amongst them. It's no wonder New York has a reputation for rude arrogant people throughout the country. I'll just sit back and wait for all the curses to come my way. This will only serve to prove my point even more.
Lol your off the wall posts are getting more and more entertaining the crazier they get. Please continue!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:19 PM

peconic117:
Quote:
Lol your off the wall posts are getting more and more entertaining the crazier they get. Please continue!
That's what all the Liberals say! When they hear the truth and have no argument to dispute it. I'm glad I've captured your undivided attention. Want a few real laughs read my post above especially about your beloved Governor Cuomo. Or the one about people having to struggle just to live in your beloved state. Now that's a real knee slapper! Why you'll be rolling on the floor! I guess that's kind of "off the wall" too. Oh that's right, Cuomo, he never really said that. Or, that's really not what he meant. It's just a figment of my imagination. The usual answer when embarrassing comments come from one of their kind. Pretty crazy, huh? Sorry to let you down, I've run out of material for this weeks show. But stay tuned for next weeks "Ex New Yorker Comedy Hour". I'm sure your sides will ache. You know, I think I'm having more fun than you are.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-21-2015 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island