Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 01:02 PM

137 posts, read 194,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Is it ironic that the pied piper was paid to drive the rats away, unlike our rats who stay and are paid?

sheep electing (and re-electing, and re-electing, and re-electing) rats. aye yi yi, it's all so confusing...quick, someone get me a bagel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:13 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,069 times
Why is it that people who have moved away from Long Island years ago are such active participants here?

Old 09-04-2015, 01:52 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
Why is it that people who have moved away from Long Island years ago are such active participants here?
I would wager, as someone who has lived quite a couple of places in my lifetime, that it's a bit of fascination with dysfunctional government.

Some genuinely know some right from wrong- and will comment until the cows come home; with no avail.
Long Island is home to many, and I genuinely believe people stay involved in the conversation because they believe there is a way to help.

From what I have seen in the last 10 years in the country, I cannot fathom a long lifespan for the 'middle class' LI that I had witnessed when I was younger. I think the damage has been done.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:40 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Because the topics are broad, the conversation engaging and the climate warm and inviting....

Old 09-04-2015, 08:10 PM

874 posts, read 728,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
3 Reasons Long Island Is Dying - CityLab

Seems very sad but very true. I grew up on Long Island and now live in NYC. Every other weekend when going back to visit family I see how happy I am now that I am no longer living on LI. I genuinely wish that LI can resolve these problems as I may want to move back someday but the way it is going is downhill unfortunately.
the younger north shore and south shore generation is all doing herion. so the bars are dead and dying. people on heroin nod out.... Apparently now the cops are arresting bartenders on long island for selling alcohol to under age kids. there was a big bust recently something like 16 bartenders got arrested. So now, most millennials moved out of long island and stated lives in warm places. So whats left on long island? people who are stuck here and cant leave

Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 PM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I would wager, as someone who has lived quite a couple of places in my lifetime, that it's a bit of fascination with dysfunctional government.

Some genuinely know some right from wrong- and will comment until the cows come home; with no avail.
Long Island is home to many, and I genuinely believe people stay involved in the conversation because they believe there is a way to help.

From what I have seen in the last 10 years in the country, I cannot fathom a long lifespan for the 'middle class' LI that I had witnessed when I was younger. I think the damage has been done.
I'll second that!

It's like a bad accident- you just have to look.

It's also a fascinating study of humaqn behavior: To see how much people will take; how high of a property tax they are willing to tolerate; how low a quality of life for all they spend; etc.

I also find a little comfort, over the years, in seeing how more and more people seem to be "waking up", and becoming unwilling to tolerate all of the BS; and are also moving away.

Although, on the other hand, I kind of hate to be reminded of what LI has become, and how so many are still willing to enable the crooks and traitors who have made it that way. I hate to be reminded of how many years I wasted there before moving. More and more, I just find the whole thing utterly disinteresting. -Rerally, one sees the same crap year after year- "How high should I jump when the local town Nazis say 'jump' ?" "Where can I live with property taxes under $20K a year and less than a 4 hour commute?".

For the first 6 months after moving, I was a LIer living in America". But, except for great memories of a different LI when I was a kid, my connection to LI and that whole part of the country has just faded away- good riddance. I long ago accepted the fact that LI will never return to being a decent, sane place.

It's interesting watching it's slide into the sewer, on it's way to being the next detroit.....but really, why be dragged down by something that I was lucky enough to escape from?

But i still just have to look every once in a while!- Just like I'll occasionally watch a video showing the devastation of Detroit; or explore Chester PA. or Gary IN on Google Street View- it's just fascinating how such wealth could come to garbage, right under the noses of tyhose who built that wealth; and yet neither they nor those who rule them will relent- even after their locale is in ashes, like Detroit. Truly, an oddity of modern history.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
the younger north shore and south shore generation is all doing herion. so the bars are dead and dying. people on heroin nod out.... Apparently now the cops are arresting bartenders on long island for selling alcohol to under age kids. there was a big bust recently something like 16 bartenders got arrested. So now, most millennials moved out of long island and stated lives in warm places. So whats left on long island? people who are stuck here and cant leave
LOL yup, they are ALL doing heroin. The bars are "dead and dying", sounds like your teeth

Old 09-04-2015, 10:07 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
There's nothing to do where they moved so they have plenty of time to keep telling us how much better it is where they've gone.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:09 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There's nothing to do where they moved so they have plenty of time to keep telling us how much better it is where they've gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
It's like a bad accident- you just have to look.

But i still just have to look every once in a while!-
Joe didn't you move to rural America? See kokonutty's response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
Yup, we just become conditioned to paying the piper...like rats!
Rats would do it just to follow other rats. If you're opening your wallet for $15k/year in taxes, you better have a reason.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:16 AM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

Or maybe it's a perverse fascination with the theater of the absurd. You know, like watching a movie that you know is so bad, yet you can't look away. Case in point: I get some charge out of each and every report of new IDA investments. Businesses of every stripe, who usually don't need this type of funding, are reaping huge tax abatements, sales tax discounts and utility credits that we as taxpayers can only dream of. In fact, we're the ones who pay for this not-too-subtle corruption.

When I move away and it will happen in the near future, I'm still going to get a charge reading about such LI-specific cluster rip-offs like the IDA give-aways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island