Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times

Advertisements

Just so you know Harborfields has 1/2 day K for 2015-2016 school year. Cutoff is Dec 1. All the other districts you have mentioned have full day. I live in Greenlawn and love it. I definitely think we will go full day for 2016-2017 as there seems to be the momentum to do so now. Parts of Huntington are HF, including the Salem Ridge area. I also like the area near the middle school. I also like the area northeast of the library by Maple, etc. We live in the college section and are very happy here.

A friend was just looking in Greenlawn about your budget and it was slim pickings. Not much on the market right now... Not sure why. Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 03:27 PM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Try Northport north of 25A. Very good district and a variety of charming and well kept homes plus the prettiest downtown waterfront village in the area. Just a warning though, if you walk around this village area first (grab a snack at the Copenhagen Bakery to fuel you) you might find the other areas (Greenlawn, for example) you are scouting out lacking.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linoob View Post
max $800k and under $15k in RE taxes
That's combination may limit you somewhat. Many properties around $800,000 have higher taxes

And it's true that there is often limited good inventory in the Harborfields SD. The SD covers Centerport, part of Greenlawn and a small portion of Huntington.
Most properties in Greenlawn are in the Harborfields SD, some in the Elwood SD, and a very small area in Northport/E.Northport schools.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 PM

14 posts, read 14,834 times
and I thought $15k was steep, I guess I have to temper my expectations :-)

to: Quick Commenter, I'll try to check out Northport but do you think the traffic will be a little much in the morning going to Huntington?

Old 05-22-2015, 05:57 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Quote:
and I thought $15k was steep, I guess I have to temper my expectations :-)

to: Quick Commenter, I'll try to check out Northport but do you think the traffic will be a little much in the morning going to Huntington?
From Northport to Huntington try and use 25A and then head south to the RR station. You'll have less traffic on that route.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:59 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Quote:
ah..my bad and Salem Ridge area is that around Salem Ridge Dr? that looks to be in Huntington
That neighborhood is classifed as Huntington, but the neighborhood (or at least most of it) is in the Harborfields SD. I have a cousin who lives there and has been happy there for 25+ years.

Check the real estate tax bill, and it will list the school district for the exact house address.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 PM

thank you AndreaII

Old 05-22-2015, 07:07 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post

That's combination may limit you somewhat. Many properties around $800,000 have higher taxes

And it's true that there is often limited good inventory in the Harborfields SD. The SD covers Centerport, part of Greenlawn and a small portion of Huntington.
Most properties in Greenlawn are in the Harborfields SD, some in the Elwood SD, and a very small area in Northport/E.Northport schools.
As an aside, Elke, do you have a link to a chart or something that makes it easy to see what taxes *should* be on a house valued at X amount? Like taxes based on real value not the confusing assessed value where you have to do all sorts of math to figure it out lol?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
As an aside, Elke, do you have a link to a chart or something that makes it easy to see what taxes *should* be on a house valued at X amount? Like taxes based on real value not the confusing assessed value where you have to do all sorts of math to figure it out lol?
LOL no such luck.

However, here's a fairly easy way to figure it out:

Take the assessed value and divide it by the current RAR value. In the Town of Huntington, the current RAR value is .73
Example:
2890 assessed value ./. 0.73 = Market Value of $395,890.41

By the same token, if you have a price, you can multiply it by the RAR value and voila - you have the supposed assessed value and can also determine if there's a good case for a grievance

$395,890 x 0.73 = 2890 assessed value

Each Town has its own RAR value - just call up the Assessor's office.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:50 AM

just curious on how you guys manage with half day k, do you send them to private k after that. the reason I'm asking that is if my wife starts a job too it is going to be tough with half day k
also does anybody know if hhh is also half day k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island