Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 05:32 PM

29 posts, read 25,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
People fly the confederate flag because they are racists or because they want to **** other people off. There are many things you can do which aren't illegal, but that make people know that you are a moron because you do them..flying the confederate flag is one of them.
Have your opinion regardless of how uneducated it may be. Don't get your information from the media, read a little and try to learn. The flag is an object and not racist at all. The gay flag is a lot more offensive than this. Political correctness always means we have to re write history to you guys. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 06:39 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Random.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:08 PM
gqa

175 posts, read 153,000 times
It almost amazes me how white people here will fight for the rights of other people to fly a flag that was hijacked by racist white supremacists who lynched, burned, murdered, beat, and terrorized a group of innocent Americans who just wanted to be free to pursue their American life!! All because their skin was black.

When racists and white supremacists hijacked this flag for pure hate and terror why didn't you and forefathers speak up against them using it for a hate symbol then? Where was the outrage when they were murdering blacks while wearing and flying this flag? Why were you silent then but are very vocal about it now when blacks Americans who have been terrorized by this very same flag tell you it insights fear and hatred? Its because you maybe bias or are racist yourself? Why would you defend something used by terrorist in this country?? Unless of course you don't really care about or have negative feelings about the victims. EVEN IF YOU DON'T THINK THE FLAG IS SUCH A BIG DEAL WHY WOULD YOU TAKE THE TIME TO DEFEND IT?? And please don't give me that crap about freedom and liberties unless you speak out and fight for everyone's freedoms, including the right of innocent black men to walk down the street and not be harassed by police!

I'm not Jewish but I would never fly a swastika on anything like that because I would not want to offend and bring up a terrible past for many Jewish people. I don't know any Holocaust survivors but I do know their children and the stories they have told me are heart breaking and I would never dismiss their feelings about the swastika. The only way I could defend anyone flying the swastika is if I hated Jews!!

So go ahead and make excuses for your hatred and bring up your technical excuses. Racists used the same type of defensive responses while killing innocents. Soon positions will switch and everyone will remember your defense of hatred and you will be dealt with accordingly!

Old 10-22-2015, 12:19 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqa View Post
When racists and white supremacists hijacked this flag for pure hate and terror why didn't you and forefathers speak up against them using it for a hate symbol then? Where was the outrage when they were murdering blacks while wearing and flying this flag? Why were you silent then but are very vocal about it now when blacks Americans who have been terrorized by this very same flag tell you it insights fear and hatred?

1. How do you know they didn't speak up/were outraged/silent? It is quite a bit to assume my ancestors condoned, supported or participated in such atrocities. (Especially since they did NOT.)

2. There was no internet back then. (which is why you wouldn't know for #1). If they had internet forums, there probably would have been quite a bit of outrage for posterity to review.

(They should have let this thread remain dormant).

Old 10-22-2015, 04:17 AM

I'm sick of everybody being such a puss and finding everything offensive.
Grow back your spine America.
Thin skinned sissies.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:10 AM

987 posts, read 823,816 times
Ok did not read every post but here's my take based on what I've read on articles. The flag was originally used by the confederate side in the war and had no racist symbolism at that point. Later in life it was adopted by some idiots to symbolize white power/racism. Does that sum it up? Ok if so heres the crappy part to a degree.

What if some folks truly have some sort of family ties to this war or for whatever GOOD/non racist reason want to fly or display the flag? They can't due to all the negative things the flag came to represent???

Old 10-27-2015, 07:47 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,225 times
This whole Confederate flag BS makes me laugh. Nothing else more important then to try and hide a proud, brave and important time in American History. I remember years ago giving my boss who was black a Bonnie Blue flag as a joke because he was a big Dallas Cowboys fan. He had no idea and had flag hanging in his office for years.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:06 PM

I find anyone flying a flag other than that of the U.S. to be unpatriotic and offensive.
Any flags other than U.S. Flag should be banned.
When I see people proudly displaying an Irish or African or Puerto Rican or whatever flag it makes my blood boil. So unpatriotic and anti-American.
Being a Yankee fan, when I see Mets flags flying I am extremely offended, it's not fair for them to be waving around that flag because they made the series and the Yankees didn't. It paints a picture that they are better than the Yankees and all other teams that aren't in the series when all the teams are talented and special in their own way. Flags are just wrong and symbols of discrimination.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,225 times
Do I have to take down and fold my MIA/POW flag too?

Old 10-27-2015, 04:56 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
A better comparison would be a Swastika. There is nothing to prevent someone flying a Swastika outside of their front door to celebrate their Hindu/Buddhist heritage, but that doesn't make it a good idea to do so. Put differently, once the Confederate Flag became associated with racism and bigotry, one should need a compelling reason to fly one if for no other reason than to avoid antagonizing large swathes of the American population. I would never suggest that the government outlaw it on private property, but if you fly such a flag you are likely doing it either because you are a racist or simply to offend others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island