Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 02:28 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Ok now that I got your attention. If you lived in a predominately white neighborhood and black couple moved next to you or on your block would you have a problem? And I'm referring to a hard working couple that took care of their home etc. etc.......

I'll let you know that I would not have a problem with it at all. I guess I understand that people wan to live around their own ethnicity as in the city their are Korean, Russia, Italian, Irish dominant neighborhoods.

I ask this because I'm curious about how people TRULY feel and I was running from Deer Park to my boat in Lindenhurst and while I was running in Lindenhurst I remembered a story several month, maybe a year where a black couple moved in the neighborhood and people sprayed painted negative remarks on their home.

I believe I have the story correct.
I live in Garden City, and the answer is no: I wouldn't have a problem with a black couple moving in next door, as long as they act like any other middle class family living in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 02:56 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Except I live in 60x100 plot streets, with traffic right near parks. It is a huge annoyance.

I have a neighbor down the block who drove everyone crazy. He was a lazy house husband with two sons always coaching stuff while wife worked and he had the soccer ball and basketball hoop on his corner lot, balls flying out into traffic into other folks yard and get this he lived exactly 7 houses from the park. But when his kids were young they could not go by themselves and he was too lazy to walk down block.

It is a quality of life thing. Then he forces neighbors to be the bad guy when you complain or then stay indoors with AC on as you cant enjoy yard. Heck once a parent was just walking by house with a stroller and infant and a hard ball missed the baby by inches.

The guy next to him moved and listed house for sale, after few weeks turned it into a rental. Who wants a house with a 24/7 stay at home Dad and boys with bats and balls almost 24/7 except for school house. Cant have a nice car, cant sit in yard. And folks like him ruin the value as who wants to put a ton of money into house while he is there.

The Indian family, and it is not cause they are Indian I don't know their names. But they add in the headache like my first generation out of Queens neighbor next door gave me. Only one with a house every July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day on and on. Tons of folks from Queens yacking at top of voice in and out of Italian, smoking, drinking. Funny I have a pool and I just decided to go to Beach. My backyard is worthless. After one of their parties my kids were in the pool with all their friends early in the morning and I was like make as much noise as you want. I knew they had hangovers, funny next party they shut up and I told my kids to be quiet and don't go in pool to early.

They replaced a nice young couple, one kid in day care and both worked. Excellent couple. Trouble with starter home neighborhoods you get a lot of folks who think they are in the Bronx and a stained tank top and a beer belly is a good look.

Hard to commit to doing a 200K renovation in a town like that. Or a neighbor like that.

Move me to a nice block in Plandome or Garden City and I drop 200K into a house as you get it back and a profit. Drop 200K in a house and Vinnie on one side and Juan on other side move in and are out there in there wife beater shirts with tats showing and you just lost 200K.

Neighbors do effect value.
If you can't enjoy your yard because a neighbor plays ball with his kids next door you need to either get a better/more realistic perspective or move to a place where you can afford something other than a 60x100 plot, but the irony of installing a pool when your neighbors live right on top of you while simultaneously complaining about neighbors "ruining" your yard by having a BBQ is not lost on me.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:14 PM

1,273 posts, read 990,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
What benefits does "diversity" confer on your children (besides food and music, which doesn't really require "diversity", just a diverse menu)?
It forces them to look outside of their own cultural biases, hang out with children of different cultural and ethnic origins, and teaches them people are all human despite skin color. Memphis is a largely self segregated city split down black and white lines. I grew up an Army brat with friends from all over the world. I'm not going to let my children think segregation and racism is acceptable, and part of that is exposing them to all kinds of people by making a concerted effort to chose where we live, go to school, etc.

Funny enough, I just chewed out a neighbor kid for using the n word while playing with my kids. I don't tolerate that language at my house.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:17 PM

1,273 posts, read 990,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah.
All the doped up, cracked up, methed up people we see in our ERs are 'higher-income.' Not.
Super not.
That's because the rich ones have private physicians and rehab.

Tell me socioeconomic disparities in health care aren't news to you?

Old 09-22-2015, 03:35 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
It forces them to look outside of their own cultural biases, hang out with children of different cultural and ethnic origins, and teaches them people are all human despite skin color. Memphis is a largely self segregated city split down black and white lines. I grew up an Army brat with friends from all over the world. I'm not going to let my children think segregation and racism is acceptable, and part of that is exposing them to all kinds of people by making a concerted effort to chose where we live, go to school, etc.

Funny enough, I just chewed out a neighbor kid for using the n word while playing with my kids. I don't tolerate that language at my house.
Exactly. As I said before, raising your children to understand and respect the different cultures is essential in our increasingly global economy and multicultural democracy. It is also beneficial for their social and emotional development.

For all of the complaining done on these boards that good jobs are hard to come by in our current market, I'm surprised people would purposefully put their kids at a disadvantage by refusing to expose them to a diverse range of cultures simply because of their own unfounded racial stereotypes.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:55 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
I think whites in the average middle class/income white town (say South Shore Nassau) would be much more alarmed at the prospect of a black couple moving in. They don't have the means in today's Long Island to leave, say Wantagh for greener (whiter) pastures because they can't afford a home in Manhasset or Jericho. White flight as it existed 50yrs ago can't happen for these folks because of money so they would be much more protective of keeping such areas white because they have no other comparable alternative on the Island. This is why areas like Elmont & Baldwin, etc. are not considered good areas by most people here on this forum (despite statistics that are comparable to avg white areas)....one black couple turned into 2, turned into 5 and bam..white flight...

Where is a white family in Wantagh going to go when their home sells for 500k and they have a combined HHI of 150-200K going to move to..hence the concern (in addition to a valid concern that property values go down as a neighborhood gets browner).

It's not to say Manhasset would welcome a black couple with open arms but the barriers of entry are much greater there so its not as worrisome that the one black couple may become a trend...oh honey but he's a lawyer!

Old 09-22-2015, 03:58 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post

I ask this because I'm curious about how people TRULY feel and I was running from Deer Park to my boat in Lindenhurst and while I was running in Lindenhurst I remembered a story several month, maybe a year where a black couple moved in the neighborhood and people sprayed painted negative remarks on their home.

I believe I have the story correct.
Yes..Lindenhurst would be a good example of what my previous post was saying (so folks don't feel like I have an axe to grind against only South Shore Nassau). Where are the white folks in Lindy going to run to?..so you get folks who are going to be very protective of their town.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:12 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I think whites in the average middle class/income white town (say South Shore Nassau) would be much more alarmed at the prospect of a black couple moving in. They don't have the means in today's Long Island to leave, say Wantagh for greener (whiter) pastures because they can't afford a home in Manhasset or Jericho. White flight as it existed 50yrs ago can't happen for these folks because of money so they would be much more protective of keeping such areas white because they have no other comparable alternative on the Island. This is why areas like Elmont & Baldwin, etc. are not considered good areas by most people here on this forum (despite statistics that are comparable to avg white areas)....one black couple turned into 2, turned into 5 and bam..white flight...

Where is a white family in Wantagh going to go when their home sells for 500k and they have a combined HHI of 150-200K going to move to..hence the concern (in addition to a valid concern that property values go down as a neighborhood gets browner).

It's not to say Manhasset would welcome a black couple with open arms but the barriers of entry are much greater there so its not as worrisome that the one black couple may become a trend...oh honey but he's a lawyer!
Both manhassett and Jericho are both less white than Wantagh. Why would your hypothetical 'racist' white flighter want to move to either of those places?

Old 09-22-2015, 04:14 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Yes..Lindenhurst would be a good example of what my previous post was saying (so folks don't feel like I have an axe to grind against only South Shore Nassau). Where are the white folks in Lindy going to run to?..so you get folks who are going to be very protective of their town.
Your point makes no sense, you act like there are only 1 or 2 majority white affordable middle class neighborhoods left on LI. Now maybe someday we will be at that point be we certainly aren't there now.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
That's because the rich ones have private physicians and rehab.

Tell me socioeconomic disparities in health care aren't news to you?
Private physicians don't have emergency rooms to deal with overdoses/other acute drug-related problems, sweetheart.

And what I have forgotten about health care is more than you'll likely ever know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island