Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:43 AM

156 posts, read 219,126 times

Advertisements

My advice for Long Island: buy a modest house in the best district. You have a pretty healthy budget, why not shoot higher? For $375k you can get into Port Jefferson, Miller Place, West Islip, even Setauket in 3V. None of the towns you mentioned are good location or district wise, but luckily your budget is in the mid-high 300's instead of under $250k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 05:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
There's a house for sale in Setauket right now $380K. 4 br 2 ba, 3/4 acre, Minnesauke elementary, Gelinas JHS. It is on Old Post Rd (hence the reduced price) Just went on the market and is expected to sell quickly. I'd take that over any of the locations in the OP any day.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:18 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,203 times
You may want to look into the Kings Park school district - the schools are good and there are plenty of decent housing options in your price range, plus the taxes aren't completely terrible. Also, if you stick to the western end of Kings Park, you can end up being pretty close to the Sunken Meadow Parkway, which is convenient for highway access.

(I'd say check out Commack and Smithtown as well, but I don't think there will be much inventory in your price range in those school districts.)

Old 10-08-2015, 05:19 AM

8 posts, read 17,351 times
You are right about Kings Park, don't know how it escaped my attention, but definitely seems to have
some affordable houses/taxes. Thanks

Old 10-09-2015, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 17,351 times
Some updates to report...did some more scouting today...decided I had to see Shirley
for myself...it has some positives...proximity to shopping, highways, and an LIRR stop...some
nice homes...but all in all, just not the nicest area. Didn't seem unsafe, but too many boarded up/
vacant/poorly maintained appearing properties. The area north of Sunrise did seem better, but
still wasn't impressed enough to want to look any further.Also drove around Bohemia a bit...plenty
of nice, well maintained homes, but not the prettiest town...very industrial and didn't seem to have
much in the way of shopping. Plan to visit Kings Park and Setauket next.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:00 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljg55 View Post
Some updates to report...did some more scouting today...decided I had to see Shirley
for myself...it has some positives...proximity to shopping, highways, and an LIRR stop...some
nice homes...but all in all, just not the nicest area. Didn't seem unsafe, but too many boarded up/
vacant/poorly maintained appearing properties. The area north of Sunrise did seem better, but
still wasn't impressed enough to want to look any further.Also drove around Bohemia a bit...plenty
of nice, well maintained homes, but not the prettiest town...very industrial and didn't seem to have
Setauket, East Setauket, and South Setauket are 3V schools, which IMO are great. Happy hunting!

Old 10-09-2015, 01:10 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljg55 View Post

Parts of Kings Park and most of Setauket are going to be much more appealing to the eye than Bohemia even though Bohemia is a good area. North Shore, Hilly, and residential vs flat and surrounded by industry.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Setauket, East Setauket, and South Setauket are 3V schools, which IMO are great. Happy hunting!
Not all of South Setauket is in the 3V school district.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:42 PM

156 posts, read 219,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Not all of South Setauket is in the 3V school district.
Is South Setauket even a real town?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
Is South Setauket even a real town?
It's Centereach zip code. The name was a clever marketing move by the developer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island