Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:48 PM

11 posts, read 15,600 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
first of all, thank you for read this thread and help us, we really appreciate your helps.
we recently bought a house in north syosset, we will moved into the new house within this month.yeah^-^
very nice area and we are really exciting! but meanwhile we(mostly me lol) are also nervous. this is the house we plan to live,grow our family, have our baby and get old. we are in our mid-20s so this is the house we will live for about 40 years,so we really hope to have a good relationship with people living around us. but the thing is we are young and this is our first house, and based on what we have seen, most of the families live in this neighborhood are older people or already have kids but we are just married. with so limited experence in getting along with neighbors,we really dont know what we should do and what we could do to make our new neighors like us, what's the traditions? do we need to knock on neighors door to introduce ourself lol. do we or could we invite new neighbors to our home for dinner so we could make friends(i even dont know what should we serve lol)....what is the best way to get along with neighbors?
i have so many questions.
I know my question must looks hilarious and rediculous, but I am really worry about this thing and i do hope we could have a good start in this new neighborhood. because sometimes people will judge you from their first impression. and we dont know how things work in Long Island, and both our families live far away from us .so we cant really get advice from them....

-S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 12:04 AM

5,087 posts, read 3,985,853 times
Just say hi politely to your neighbors when you see them. Maintain your property and don't create any eyesores or excessive noise. North Syosset is not big on welcomes or dinner invites to/from new neighbors. Don't be offended if your neighbors keep to themselves. (This is a generality...there may be some variety within N. Syosset ...personal experiences can and will vary).

Old 10-04-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Just say hi politely to your neighbors when you see them. Maintain your property and don't create any eyesores or excessive noise. North Syosset is not big on welcomes or dinner invites to/from new neighbors. Don't be offended if your neighbors keep to themselves. (This is a generality...there may be some variety within N. Syosset ...personal experiences can and will vary).
thank you for your advice, yeah we just want to blend in, don't want to be a outsider,lol,is people in syosset more want to keep into their house and dont want to be disturbed?

Old 10-04-2015, 04:20 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,416,589 times
What rub neighbors the wrong way are barking dogs, feral cats, blaring music, loud motorcycles, garbage cans left in street or amassed in front of garage door, uncut/unraked lawns, dandelions, diesel trucks, screaming mothers, basketball hoops in street, excessive Christmas decorations, boats stored on driveway, acrid smoke from woodburning stoves, snowblowing snow into street and new neighbors who knock on doors just to introduce themselves.
So relax and remember....worry is a useless emotion.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:05 AM

22,719 posts, read 36,923,474 times
AS others have mentioned, just maintain your property to the standards you see around you and you will be fine. You're not going to invite your new neighbors to your house for dinner - that would be a bit awkward. If they are older they will have established their friendships, etc. If you just bought a house in Syosset you're both probably working - once you have kids you'll find your place with people who are going through the same life experiences as you.

Your neighbors are just people who live near you. They don't have to be your friends, you don't even have to like them but just hope everyone maintains the peace.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:10 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,319,488 times
If you see your neighbor outside go up and introduce yourselves. Always a nice touch, especially for ones on either side of you and across the street. If you have a neighbor behind your home (and if their property is visible) you can wait until you see them outside.

I've never had dinner with any of my neighbors - but always had cordial relationships with them. All the other tips about keeping up your property in the same standard as theirs are good ideas.

Halloween is coming up so you will probably meet some of the families with kids soon anyway!

Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
What rub neighbors the wrong way are barking dogs, feral cats, blaring music, loud motorcycles, garbage cans left in street or amassed in front of garage door, uncut/unraked lawns, dandelions, diesel trucks, screaming mothers, basketball hoops in street, excessive Christmas decorations, boats stored on driveway, acrid smoke from woodburning stoves, snowblowing snow into street and new neighbors who knock on doors just to introduce themselves.
So relax and remember....worry is a useless emotion.
thank you, glad i asked this question, otherwise I may plan to knock on their door to introduce myself,lol

Old 10-04-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
AS others have mentioned, just maintain your property to the standards you see around you and you will be fine. You're not going to invite your new neighbors to your house for dinner - that would be a bit awkward. If they are older they will have established their friendships, etc. If you just bought a house in Syosset you're both probably working - once you have kids you'll find your place with people who are going through the same life experiences as you.

Your neighbors are just people who live near you. They don't have to be your friends, you don't even have to like them but just hope everyone maintains the peace.
well it is really different from where i come from, my parents neighbors always nice to each other and we went to each neighbors BBQ and took care each other's dog and kids. guess we cant get same thing from here...

Old 10-04-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you see your neighbor outside go up and introduce yourselves. Always a nice touch, especially for ones on either side of you and across the street. If you have a neighbor behind your home (and if their property is visible) you can wait until you see them outside.

I've never had dinner with any of my neighbors - but always had cordial relationships with them. All the other tips about keeping up your property in the same standard as theirs are good ideas.

Halloween is coming up so you will probably meet some of the families with kids soon anyway!
thank you for your advice

Old 10-04-2015, 10:24 AM

397 posts, read 518,995 times
What a bunch of curmudgeons...

I get along with all my neighbors... When the couple moved in next door, we invited their kids over to play with mine almost right away... I've had dinner with just about all of them at one point or another... Im often invited to their parties, they're often invited to mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: