Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:24 AM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Funny you should ask this today! I know someone just yesterday that was accosted in her driveway while she was painting chairs! Guy barely spoke English. Told her he needed a place to live. Then said I picked your house..bags & all proceeded to enter her home! Happened in N. Bellmore just off Bellmore Ave on Beltagh. Scary! I don't feel I really complain about it. I do live in Bellmore but far south of Merrick Rd.& really have loved it.I just see many changes in past year or so everytime i go to the area around Newbridge & Bellmore Ave Which for me is rare as I hardly ever venture north of Sunrise unless it's just Bedford Ave. Which I do all the time. Do you spend anytime regularly in area I mentioned? There is a very noticeable difference lately in a very short period of time. This same person has told me she was also approached few times in her driveway recently (her kids too) by Hispanic guys demanding money from her. It's hard not to notice these changes recently. The only place I ever lived on LI is So. Bellmore way south of Merrick. Moved away from here several years ago but missed it so came back. So I am really kind of shocked at these incidents that just happened. This person did put in cameras after 1st incident as precaution because she is single mother with girls. Lucky she did! Because of that she was able to provide police with clear video of the criminals. Yes, one of the guys were arrested. Other still out there.

Don't feel it's a war zone at all. But because Honestly I never really even venture out of area often & do everything in Bellmore 24/7. So guess I notice these changes a lot because of that. Just that it is really very different lately when comparing N. Bellmore to Bellmore proper & So. Bellmore. I have been able to get some answers as to why though..so at least I know that much.

Beltagh Ave is the dividing line betwen Bellmore (Proper) and North Bellmore. So, if this incident happened on the South side of the street, it would be in Bellmore (Proper) not North Bellmore.

Can you elaborate on the very many noticeable differences in North Bellmore in a very short period of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 01:20 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
RVC is straight middle class.
are you drunk?
Quote:
Brightwaters is average too.
not all of it.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:48 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
what does the cost of the home have to do with if town is affluent? I have a few neighbors in my blue collar town who make around 500K a year. Wife likes it, some never traded up homes as they only have one or two kids. Some have summer homes, nice cars, travel. Housing is not that important.

Lets say they move to a rich town are they more affluent?

Old 10-08-2015, 01:53 PM

156 posts, read 219,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
are you drunk?

not all of it.
Are YOU drunk? You think RVC is rich? Median home price is $585k, avg income is $104k...even upper-middle class is a stretch. Just because the kids wear polo brand and the girls have sweet 16s doesn't make it affluent.

RVC is a hyped up middle-class south shore town.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:37 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Are YOU drunk? You think RVC is rich? Median home price is $585k, avg income is $104k...even upper-middle class is a stretch. Just because the kids wear polo brand and the girls have sweet 16s doesn't make it affluent.

RVC is a nice town with good schools and there are parts of it that are affluent but I would hardly call RVC a "rich town", far from it.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:01 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Net worth (combined value of net assets from investments, real estate, etc. minus liabilities) is a better indicator than home values.....I now live in CA where there are a lot of house poor people--the majority of their assets is in their home and they have little else...what happens if they are forced to sell during a down market?....likewise, net income is not a good indicator--a town can have wealthy retirees who do not need to work and, therefore, do not show up in income statistics.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Are YOU drunk? You think RVC is rich?
I didn't say that. I simply disagreed with your ludicrous assertion that RVC is "straight middle class".
Quote:
Median home price is $585k, avg income is $104k...even upper-middle class is a stretch.
check out MLS and get back to us with how many SINGLE FAMILY HOMES sell in that range. You don't know what you're talking about.
Quote:
Just because the kids wear polo brand and the girls have sweet 16s doesn't make it affluent.
wow, great point! I never though to include preferred clothing brands when evaluating different areas.
Quote:
"hyped up"? Are you 12?

Old 10-08-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
what does the cost of the home have to do with if town is affluent? I have a few neighbors in my blue collar town who make around 500K a year. Wife likes it, some never traded up homes as they only have one or two kids. Some have summer homes, nice cars, travel. Housing is not that important.

Lets say they move to a rich town are they more affluent?
I eagerly await your 500 word account of their respective backgrounds and how these extremely isolated examples are in any way relevant!

Old 10-08-2015, 03:23 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Beltagh Ave is the dividing line betwen Bellmore (Proper) and North Bellmore. So, if this incident happened on the South side of the street, it would be in Bellmore (Proper) not North Bellmore.

Can you elaborate on the very many noticeable differences in North Bellmore in a very short period of time?
If you know there area at all & are not far do a drive by in the area around Newbridge & Bellmore Ave. Do it at different times of day. If you knew the area like I do you will see the noticeable differences. It's not that bad right now..but it is clear it is headed that way. On Bedford that Citibank building is still sitting empty..hope someone takes it soon before another mosque opens there. At night I find I see guys just hanging out..not kids either. You can clearly see they are the "undesirable" types that you would not want just hanging out on your block or sitting on your car! Drugs are a problem all over LI..and the country for that matter. But when you are seeing these people like i have been recently in certain areas just north of Sunrise you start to wonder what's next. It can't be that the incident I mentioned is isolated to just the one house that was targeted. I am sure it is happening to others in area as well. The people that live in the apt. buildings next to the mosque on Newbridge just off Bellmore Ave are very strange. I tried approaching a person there once (innocently) & they just ignore me. No english. There are lots of people living there..yet the large parking lots behind the building is always empty..so those people do not drive or have cars. That has alway been some sort of assistive housing for many years. But it just seems very different lately.

Sometimes you really need to see things for yourself firsthand to really understand what is going on. Nothing like seeing it with your own eyes.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:41 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I eagerly await your 500 word account of their respective backgrounds and how these extremely isolated examples are in any way relevant!

No need for that. I live next to a high price snooty town and I have a lot of lower priced condos in my town in the 300K to 400K range. With taxes of 8k and maint of 550 a month.

Tons of homes for sale at the million dollar range with 20K taxes that need work and couple kids are all gone. They often jump to my town, for the summer place for November through March and often buy a snowbird place.

No different years ago I lived in a coop in Douglaston near train. I had a lot of wealthy Great Neck, Manhasset, Douglas Manor folks pay cash. Even buy a one bed. A lot had big homes in florida, but this was their NY crash pad near kids and family in Summer and holidays.

Does it make them poor. No more so than the huge old cant houses cant pull up average RVC income due to projects and millions of little apts, coops and two family houses where income is much less.
Only towns with no poor sections have high average income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island