Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:29 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Funny you should ask this today! I know someone just yesterday that was accosted in her driveway while she was painting chairs! Guy barely spoke English. Told her he needed a place to live. Then said I picked your house..bags & all proceeded to enter her home! Happened in N. Bellmore just off Bellmore Ave on Beltagh. Scary! I don't feel I really complain about it. I do live in Bellmore but far south of Merrick Rd.& really have loved it.I just see many changes in past year or so everytime i go to the area around Newbridge & Bellmore Ave Which for me is rare as I hardly ever venture north of Sunrise unless it's just Bedford Ave. Which I do all the time. Do you spend anytime regularly in area I mentioned? There is a very noticeable difference lately in a very short period of time. This same person has told me she was also approached few times in her driveway recently (her kids too) by Hispanic guys demanding money from her. It's hard not to notice these changes recently. The only place I ever lived on LI is So. Bellmore way south of Merrick. Moved away from here several years ago but missed it so came back. So I am really kind of shocked at these incidents that just happened. This person did put in cameras after 1st incident as precaution because she is single mother with girls. Lucky she did! Because of that she was able to provide police with clear video of the criminals. Yes, one of the guys were arrested. Other still out there.

Don't feel it's a war zone at all. But because Honestly I never really even venture out of area often & do everything in Bellmore 24/7. So guess I notice these changes a lot because of that. Just that it is really very different lately when comparing N. Bellmore to Bellmore proper & So. Bellmore. I have been able to get some answers as to why though..so at least I know that much.
Last time I was in that area was a year ago to check out those pricey houses they were putting up on the old army base. Didn't notice what you're talking about but I wasn't there for long. Still, a few dodgy encounters isn't the same as having a crime problem. What were the people arrested for? Even people in Garden City get burglarized (and a house had a corpse dumped on its lawn a few years ago), doesn't make the area bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 06:52 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
there are plenty of not-so-nice areas in California and Florida that are on or nearby the water.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:55 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
Quote:
Funny you should ask this today! I know someone just yesterday that was accosted in her driveway while she was painting chairs! Guy barely spoke English. Told her he needed a place to live. Then said I picked your house..bags & all proceeded to enter her home! Happened in N. Bellmore just off Bellmore Ave on Beltagh. Scary! I don't feel I really complain about it. I do live in Bellmore but far south of Merrick Rd.& really have loved it.I just see many changes in past year or so everytime i go to the area around Newbridge & Bellmore Ave Which for me is rare as I hardly ever venture north of Sunrise unless it's just Bedford Ave. Which I do all the time. Do you spend anytime regularly in area I mentioned? There is a very noticeable difference lately in a very short period of time. This same person has told me she was also approached few times in her driveway recently (her kids too) by Hispanic guys demanding money from her. It's hard not to notice these changes recently. The only place I ever lived on LI is So. Bellmore way south of Merrick. Moved away from here several years ago but missed it so came back. So I am really kind of shocked at these incidents that just happened. This person did put in cameras after 1st incident as precaution because she is single mother with girls. Lucky she did! Because of that she was able to provide police with clear video of the criminals. Yes, one of the guys were arrested. Other still out there.

Don't feel it's a war zone at all. But because Honestly I never really even venture out of area often & do everything in Bellmore 24/7. So guess I notice these changes a lot because of that. Just that it is really very different lately when comparing N. Bellmore to Bellmore proper & So. Bellmore. I have been able to get some answers as to why though..so at least I know that much.
I have a hard time believing that. I lived in some very hood parts of LI and never heard of that happening even there

Old 10-08-2015, 07:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
East Atlantic Beach and most of Atlantic Beach are very wealthy. Tons of homes sell between one million and five million.

Houses on the water command a huge mark up and 100% of the homes are walking distance to Beach.

Lido Beach also has some big homes on the water mixed in at high prices.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:16 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Last time I was in that area was a year ago to check out those pricey houses they were putting up on the old army base. Didn't notice what you're talking about but I wasn't there for long. Still, a few dodgy encounters isn't the same as having a crime problem. What were the people arrested for? Even people in Garden City get burglarized (and a house had a corpse dumped on its lawn a few years ago), doesn't make the area bad.
I find it hard to believe myself believe me! The guy was arrested because the cameras she had were able to prove he was trespassing onto her property for a while. Stalking her & her kids basically. They caught the guy red handed yesterday. Like I said he just came up to her in her driveway (with bags of stuff)& really just said I need a place to live & picked your house & tried forcing his way into her home. He must have thought she was alone. But her daughter was in the basement & saw what was happening & called 911 fast with her cell so guy did not know cops were called as he was forcing his way into her home. So the cops arrived fast & took him into custody. I live here so I see some odd things regularly lately. Spend some time in areas mentioned..especially at night. Then you will see what I mean. It's still a pretty good area...but things are going on that many do not see. There seems to be a lot of hatred over the mosque that opened there quite while back. There has been speculation & rumors that a closed Citibank on Bedford Ave is being earmarked for yet another mosque. I have not been able to confirm it..but have inquired with someone that might be able to shed light on this. Also I do think it is possible as we did see some people looking at that Citibank location just yesterday when I was in town on Bedford. What I saw did not ease my mind one bit! The incident that happened yesterday just might be on the news today as there is clear video of a second guy that got away before police arrived.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I have a hard time believing that. I lived in some very hood parts of LI and never heard of that happening even there
Please don't bring the word "hood" into this I never said it was that bad at all. Yet. Just my recent observations & what I already mentioned are easy to see.

This woman was also approached by this same guy a while back a few times. He just walked up to her & asked her for money! Out of nowhere just walking on Beltagh Ave..just off Bellmore Ave. She was putting out her garbage early one morning & he came up to her & just asked her for money. Then he did it again! Then this incident yesterday. For him to come back the way he did was enough to make her ger cameras! She is luck she did. Now they have proof..can't deny that.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
"Fresh" ? Those blue claws live in fecal matter. I'd take it easy with the Great South Bay brown tide crabs.
Well I am still alive & I have been eating these crabs since 1989

Old 10-08-2015, 09:30 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Please don't bring the word "hood" into this I never said it was that bad at all. Yet. Just my recent observations & what I already mentioned are easy to see.

This woman was also approached by this same guy a while back a few times. He just walked up to her & asked her for money! Out of nowhere just walking on Beltagh Ave..just off Bellmore Ave. She was putting out her garbage early one morning & he came up to her & just asked her for money. Then he did it again! Then this incident yesterday. For him to come back the way he did was enough to make her ger cameras! She is luck she did. Now they have proof..can't deny that.
That guy sounds like he's mentally ill

Old 10-08-2015, 10:32 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Hewlett would be an example, other than that perhaps Rockvlle Centre, (though that is probably more along the lines of upper middle class)

For the most part I would say that most of the south shore is primarily middle class, with many of the areas (though not all) south of Merrick Road primarily upper middle class with some upper class pockets right along the water (though generally not the extreme wealth you see in pockets of the north shore)

Old 10-08-2015, 11:18 AM

156 posts, read 219,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Rockville Centre, Brightwaters, Hewlett Harbor/Park/Bay/Cedarhurst/Woodsburgh are south shore towns that are mostly or entirely affluent.

Most areas south of Merrick Rd/Montauk Hwy have traditionally been more upscale than the rest of the town (Lindenhurst is the only exception that i can think of). But they seem to have lost tons of demand since the last few hurricanes and the skyrocketing flood insurance.
RVC is straight middle class.

Brightwaters is average too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island