Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 09:52 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times

Advertisements

Are there any South Shore towns that are affluent? Besides the Hamptons of course. Normally, communities near beaches or near water are quite expensive. If you look at SoCal, or probably Florida you will find this to be true.

But I have noticed say in NJ, not all shore towns are wealthy. Asbury Park, Seaside Heights, of course Atlantic City are not known for extreme wealth disparity. I think if you went to California and you told them you can live by the beach and not be wealthy, they will be shocked.

I am particularly curious about Long Beach. I recently visited after a stop at Jordan's Lobster Farm. It has a nice looking boardwalk, some nice looking albeit small homes. But it is close to NYC. Is there a great disparity between Real Estate Values and local peoples' incomes?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 12:15 AM

156 posts, read 219,258 times
Most South Shore towns have a few seven figure waterfront properties.

As for the entire town being affluent, the only one is Hewlett. Not top tier wealth, but affluent nonetheless.

Big difference between Florida and California. Those both have flat, unadultered strips of oceanfront property. The South Shore has a very jagged geography, limiting the amount of waterfront land. It isn't on the ocean either (until the hamptons), so it limits the affluence.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:22 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Basically if you go south of Merrick Rd.. where many homes are on the water prices do tend to go up. But that entire town (just about all of them) are not really considered "affluent" so to speak. Even In So.Florida home prices are much higher as you get closer to the water. Go further away from the water (even in same exact town/zip code) prices go down..and even some neighborhoods are pretty horrible.

As an example. South of Merrick Rd. in lets say Bellmore. The homes on the water (even post-Sandy) can go for 1 million & up & beautiful very well kept homes in area. Stay in Bellmore & travel north of Sunrise..it's like a different world now. Lots of problems in N. Bellmore nowadays..but South of Merrick Rd. it's wonderful.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:43 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
Rockville Centre, Brightwaters, Hewlett Harbor/Park/Bay/Cedarhurst/Woodsburgh are south shore towns that are mostly or entirely affluent.

Most areas south of Merrick Rd/Montauk Hwy have traditionally been more upscale than the rest of the town (Lindenhurst is the only exception that i can think of). But they seem to have lost tons of demand since the last few hurricanes and the skyrocketing flood insurance.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 10-08-2015 at 05:41 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 05:13 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I would not say there are entire towns that are considered affluent, but there are pockets. By the same token not all north shore towns are necessarily affluent (Huntington Station for example).

There aren't many towns where there is 100% affluence. Even RVC has projects. Look at the schools F&R numbers. Garden City for example is less than 1% so basically non existent. They don't even have hot lunch in the schools till you get to middle school.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:55 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Basically if you go south of Merrick Rd.. where many homes are on the water prices do tend to go up. But that entire town (just about all of them) are not really considered "affluent" so to speak. Even In So.Florida home prices are much higher as you get closer to the water. Go further away from the water (even in same exact town/zip code) prices go down..and even some neighborhoods are pretty horrible.

As an example. South of Merrick Rd. in lets say Bellmore. The homes on the water (even post-Sandy) can go for 1 million & up & beautiful very well kept homes in area. Stay in Bellmore & travel north of Sunrise..it's like a different world now. Lots of problems in N. Bellmore nowadays..but South of Merrick Rd. it's wonderful.
Lori I really wonder sometimes what happened to you in North Bellmore that you constantly complain about it. You make a decent middle class area sound like a war zone.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:05 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Lori I really wonder sometimes what happened to you in North Bellmore that you constantly complain about it. You make a decent middle class area sound like a war zone.
Perhaps a Joe's Crab shack opened in the area.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Funny you should ask this today! I know someone just yesterday that was accosted in her driveway while she was painting chairs! Guy barely spoke English. Told her he needed a place to live. Then said I picked your house..bags & all proceeded to enter her home! Happened in N. Bellmore just off Bellmore Ave on Beltagh. Scary! I don't feel I really complain about it. I do live in Bellmore but far south of Merrick Rd.& really have loved it.I just see many changes in past year or so everytime i go to the area around Newbridge & Bellmore Ave Which for me is rare as I hardly ever venture north of Sunrise unless it's just Bedford Ave. Which I do all the time. Do you spend anytime regularly in area I mentioned? There is a very noticeable difference lately in a very short period of time. This same person has told me she was also approached few times in her driveway recently (her kids too) by Hispanic guys demanding money from her. It's hard not to notice these changes recently. The only place I ever lived on LI is So. Bellmore way south of Merrick. Moved away from here several years ago but missed it so came back. So I am really kind of shocked at these incidents that just happened. This person did put in cameras after 1st incident as precaution because she is single mother with girls. Lucky she did! Because of that she was able to provide police with clear video of the criminals. Yes, one of the guys were arrested. Other still out there.

Don't feel it's a war zone at all. But because Honestly I never really even venture out of area often & do everything in Bellmore 24/7. So guess I notice these changes a lot because of that. Just that it is really very different lately when comparing N. Bellmore to Bellmore proper & So. Bellmore. I have been able to get some answers as to why though..so at least I know that much.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Perhaps a Joe's Crab shack opened in the area.
I wish! LOL. No such luck..darn! But I am occasionally able to get fresh crabs right from water on my canal

Old 10-08-2015, 06:28 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
I wish! LOL. No such luck..darn! But I am occasionally able to get fresh crabs right from water on my canal
"Fresh" ? Those blue claws live in fecal matter. I'd take it easy with the Great South Bay brown tide crabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island