Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:18 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times

Advertisements

Those apartments have been there for 40+ years....always used as apartments.

Mosque was originally a Friendly's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 09:08 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
There have been some problems in recent years at the intersection you are talking about. Right next to the mosque there are apts that have been there for years. They are not very well kept up. A while back I tried to find out what those apts were used for & was met with resistance. I see there is another realtor posting in this thread so that person probably might know what those rentals are being used for. Byr I tried a while back to ask them as they are always seen coming out of the apts and walking away. No cars are really parked there. So the I am guessing none of the people that live there drive. I was nice & said hello to a few people in a nice way. They just freaked out & ran away from me. Creepy! Years ago in the mid 90's I noticed the people living in those apt buildings were all families as we always saw kids playing & bikes all the time. And the people living there were very nice & friendly. Not so much anymore. It must be some sort of housing program that houses people there now.
I will check w/ my husband who is much more familiar w/ all things Merrick & Bellmore, but I believe those apartments are senior housing. Our future house is nowhere near the Mosque or any of those businesses. The house is north of the Southern State, and in the section between Oakfield Ave, south of N. Jerusalem Rd, a few blocks from Newbridge Road. We would have to walk a mile or 2 to access any supermarkets/delis or commercial places.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:13 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I will check w/ my husband who is much more familiar w/ all things Merrick & Bellmore, but I believe those apartments are senior housing. Our future house is nowhere near the Mosque or any of those businesses. The house is north of the Southern State, and in the section between Oakfield Ave, south of N. Jerusalem Rd, a few blocks from Newbridge Road. We would have to walk a mile or 2 to access any supermarkets/delis or commercial places.
They are NOT senior housing. Trust me. The people there are young & act very strangely. Must be housing for the mentally ill that are not in-patient. The use of those apt s have changed ove rhte years as we used to see ALL families living there back in the 80's & 90's. There are lots of apts there. Each small building has several apts. As a matter of fact just today I saw two guys in front of the place as I was headed to the Philly Pretzel place on Jerusalem FIGHTING & yelling at each other right there in the street. Yes I just drove past & ignored it but did call 911 since they were at each others throats.

I worked in EM for a while on N. Jerusalem & EM Ave years ago so I know the area you are talking about quite well. Your home is further east but you will be very happy at that location. It is perfect & hope this is your forever home.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Those apartments have been there for 40+ years....always used as apartments.

Mosque was originally a Friendly's!
Yes! When we moved back here from Florida in 2006 we drove there to go to Friendlys!! No one we knew told us it became a mosque while we were gone. We were quite sad. Now that other Friendly's on Merrick Rd here never recovered after Sandy & they closed. Remained empty for a long time. But just recently re-opened as an Urgent Care center. Very nice too. Part of North Shore system. I know there are so many of those places & we don't need more. But I guess this is better than what the alternative might have been if that property was left vacant any longer.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Was your husband able to find out? No one is answering that burning question. No matter who is contacted. Guess they want to keep it secret.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Was your husband able to find out? No one is answering that burning question. No matter who is contacted. Guess they want to keep it secret.
Yep, I actually asked him about it and he said that its not actually senior housing (I was confusing it with the other apt complex further south in Bellmore), and its actually rentals and low-income housing.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 03-03-2016 at 07:54 AM..

Old 03-03-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Yep, I actually asked him about it and he said that its not actually senior housing (I was confusing it with the other apt complex further south in Bellmore), and its actually rentals and low-income housing.
The senior housing more south on Bellmore Ave is great. Have a relative that has lived there for a long time. The apts I am talking about are on Newbridge. Just off Bellmore Ave. It is not just simple low-income housing like it used to be years ago. Not from what we have seen since 2006. All the people we see there do not have cars & all act very peculiar. They do not seem to want to tell anyone what type of housing it is whenever asked. So it must be special housing. Someone has to know though as I know the surrounding community has a right to know who is housed there for the safety of the children around. Since there is a big school there & other activities. Like the rink & library right around the block. I am going to ask a few people that might know or can find out. It never bothered us before as we just about never venture to that area. But we have been often lately as I started going to the new Salpino's that opened on that corner. So we started seeing the people that live there more now. Very shady odd acting people that act like they are afraid of people when we are anywhere near them. We think it must be housing for the mentally ill. Due to the way they appear & act. Even in the store when we were on line. The guy in front of us that paid before us the other day. He looked at us in a very creepy way!! He even said to another customer that was just before him..."What are you looking at". Meanwhile we were all minding our own business. The cashier just said this guy is always like that & we have many people that live up the block that behave the same way! I should have thought to ask if she knew but did not feel it was the right place or time as many people were around. Store is always packed!

Old 03-05-2016, 07:13 PM

300 posts, read 553,565 times
Quote:
The senior housing more south on Bellmore Ave is great. Have a relative that has lived there for a long time. The apts I am talking about are on Newbridge. Just off Bellmore Ave. It is not just simple low-income housing like it used to be years ago. Not from what we have seen since 2006. All the people we see there do not have cars & all act very peculiar. They do not seem to want to tell anyone what type of housing it is whenever asked. So it must be special housing. Someone has to know though as I know the surrounding community has a right to know who is housed there for the safety of the children around. Since there is a big school there & other activities. Like the rink & library right around the block. I am going to ask a few people that might know or can find out. It never bothered us before as we just about never venture to that area. But we have been often lately as I started going to the new Salpino's that opened on that corner. So we started seeing the people that live there more now. Very shady odd acting people that act like they are afraid of people when we are anywhere near them. We think it must be housing for the mentally ill. Due to the way they appear & act. Even in the store when we were on line. The guy in front of us that paid before us the other day. He looked at us in a very creepy way!! He even said to another customer that was just before him..."What are you looking at". Meanwhile we were all minding our own business. The cashier just said this guy is always like that & we have many people that live up the block that behave the same way! I should have thought to ask if she knew but did not feel it was the right place or time as many people were around. Store is always packed!
How do you or cashier know that the guy in front of you in Salpinos lived in that apartment complex??

The housing apartments next to the Mosque in bellmore is low income housing, I believe it may actually be section-8..

First let me start off with the positives. Bellmore is a good town. I really like Bellmore - Merrick area a lot. There a so many great things about the towns.

Unfortunately, this specific corner on newbridge rd is one of the worst parts of Bellmore.

Word on the street is a several drugies live in those low income housing units. They sell pills and heroin.. Then you have the mosque which is an eye sore. Nothing wrong with having a mosque in a town, but the upkeep and street appeal of this specific mosque is terrible. Then on the otherside you have a closed down convenience store. Not to mention next to salpino's is Billy's Dean's which is harmless but really in an awkward location in the center of a middle class suburban town...Billy Dean's draws some weird crowds in the parking lot at night...

Old 03-06-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
How do you or cashier know that the guy in front of you in Salpinos lived in that apartment complex??

The housing apartments next to the Mosque in bellmore is low income housing, I believe it may actually be section-8..

First let me start off with the positives. Bellmore is a good town. I really like Bellmore - Merrick area a lot. There a so many great things about the towns.

Unfortunately, this specific corner on newbridge rd is one of the worst parts of Bellmore.

Word on the street is a several drugies live in those low income housing units. They sell pills and heroin.. Then you have the mosque which is an eye sore. Nothing wrong with having a mosque in a town, but the upkeep and street appeal of this specific mosque is terrible. Then on the otherside you have a closed down convenience store. Not to mention next to salpino's is Billy's Dean's which is harmless but really in an awkward location in the center of a middle class suburban town...Billy Dean's draws some weird crowds in the parking lot at night...
The closed down convenience store next to the mosque was purchased by the mosque. They claim it will ONLY be used for parking. Will have to wait & see about that. As for the certain customers ALL the people that buy at Salpino's that do not have cars pretty much all walk back to those apts. So you are partly correct. Someone that was able to ask a guy that works with people that live there all said that it is supervised housing. Mixed use. For recovering drug & alcohol. Some are with mental problems & just released. Asked about sex offenders but were told that would not be possible being the vicinity to the school. That no one even slightly considered to be one would be allowed to live there. They are leaning towards only using it for drug re-hab being that LI has a big problem these days. Friend was told there will be people living on-site monitoring everyone living there. And that they will only be allowed out for certain things. Like Work,appts. They said they will not be allowed out just "for fun".

Old 03-08-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post

Well. Realtor told a friend that was interested in a foreclosure (has been for while) those apts are the reason for most buyers walking away. This realtor already knew they were walking away for the same reason. That says enough for me. Most buyers are always going to want to know who/what is living in the surrounding area when looking to buy. Might also be the reason behind why there are many foreclosures in that small section. Was there earlier & noticed the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island