Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:37 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,330,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
there is a short walk through dwarf pine barrens on east side of Old Riverhead Road just south of Sunrise that is not too boring. It's fun in the winter. It was pretty well marked last time I was there (last winter).
Quogue Wildlife Refuge has a pretty cool dwarf pine forest too. Good thing about that is you have to walk in a few miles to find it.
I've been in Sarnoff and agree with you , it's the most boring place on LI. But it's quiet.
Well to me the Pine Barrens are far from boring, but to each his own. The shapes of all the different Pitch Pines are quite interesting, plus there are alot of unique small plants like Lichens (and some like British Solider Lichen) can be pretty colorful.
Plus in the warmer weather there are all kinds of wildflowers. Many birds can be found in the tree tops such Red-Tailed Hawks. By little ponds there are often Fowler's Toads.
To me it is deciduous woods that are boring, especially in winter, where there is no green at all. Pines are green all year round.
You're basically talking to someone who thinks the Pine Barrens are the best place on Earth and I know I'm not the only one. It is a unique environment, and I guess it takes unique people to appreciate the beauty of the Pines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island