Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:44 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I would agree with you on some of the golf courses, esp Eisenhower. It actually is an area of ecological importance, and believe it or not there are many beautiful Pitch Pines in this section of the park, a remnant of a small Pine Barrens area that extended eastward into Nassau, where it met the Hempstead Plains.
I would have this area revert back to a mixed pine barren & grassland area, and with the golf course the grasses will love the open space. Especially in money strapped Nassau, not having to pay for maintenance of the course would save alot, and it would revert to grassland. There's plenty of other places for the yuppie sport.
I do walk over there in winter when no one is playing golf, no one has yelled at me yet.

Every time I see these nice photos and videos you take while galavanting around the Island, it reminds me of the many jobs you could be doing instead of leeching off of our tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 02:12 AM

25 posts, read 26,034 times
its not easy to make park and forest in li because if we want more park and forest we need to plan in past for better planning now no space everywhere.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:58 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
$16 to visit a park! Insane.
It's expensive for a reason.

As it gets more expensive, fewer people buy permits/parking passes/green keys. Actually, most park users don't buy these anyway.

However, they estimate park usage based on the permit numbers. The fewer permits/passes sold, the more the County/State can claim fewer people use the park.

It gets to the point where the "numbers" show park use is so low, they can justify shrinking the park, limiting the availability, cutting the services, or ultimately closing the park.

It's a game they play. Price people out of it then claim no one wants to use it.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:41 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
It's expensive for a reason.

As it gets more expensive, fewer people buy permits/parking passes/green keys. Actually, most park users don't buy these anyway.

However, they estimate park usage based on the permit numbers. The fewer permits/passes sold, the more the County/State can claim fewer people use the park.

It gets to the point where the "numbers" show park use is so low, they can justify shrinking the park, limiting the availability, cutting the services, or ultimately closing the park.

It's a game they play. Price people out of it then claim no one wants to use it.
Nonsense. The atmosphere has changed. People generally just don't give a damn about parks anymore. They want to seem like they do by posting pretty pictures on their Facebook pages with "inspirational" quotes featuring Marilyn Monroe (usually about how if we can't take her at her worst, we don't deserve her at her best...which says nothing about how she was probably at her worst 99% of the time), but people care about TV, the Kardashians, Facebook, Starbucks, video games, etc.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:07 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Nonsense. The atmosphere has changed. People generally just don't give a damn about parks anymore. They want to seem like they do by posting pretty pictures on their Facebook pages with "inspirational" quotes featuring Marilyn Monroe (usually about how if we can't take her at her worst, we don't deserve her at her best...which says nothing about how she was probably at her worst 99% of the time), but people care about TV, the Kardashians, Facebook, Starbucks, video games, etc.
Well, I can tell you not everywhere in the Country is like that. I see plenty of young folks, families, and people enjoying the parks in Ocean County in NJ. Maybe because there usually isn't a fee to use them (except beaches in summer) but generally people there are different.
Now on LI I hardly see anyone on the trails, except in places further west, like the paths in Massapequa Preserve, Belmont Lake State Park, etc.
I don't see many LI'ers using their parks out east, particularly in the Pine Barrens. There seems to be almost no appreciation for the Pine Barrens at all, perhaps thats part of the reason why our efforts to preserve them have fallen so far short compared to New Jersey.
But I think there's a marked difference. Generally Long Islanders have become more like ppl in NYC, they prefer "manicured" parks, (developed) not preserves, they like paved paths, and grass, usually not native. Places like Central Park,etc.
Now in the parts of NJ I Have been in like Ocean County, people aren't afraid to go on actual nature trails, with native plans and environment. Its totally different, really.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:01 AM

345 posts, read 338,920 times
I see plenty of people using parks in Suffolk. However, you have to actually go outside and visit them to see this. I use at least 2 different Suffolk parks a week. You guys are REALLY generalizing with your statement about people stuck on Facebook and only wanting to use paved-path type parks.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Nonsense. The atmosphere has changed. People generally just don't give a damn about parks anymore.
Debatable point. I see plenty of LI parks with packed parking lots. There are parks where it is difficult to get a reserved "picnic" spot because the reservations fill up quickly. I don't have any numbers to back up a position on either side, and wouldn't waste the time looking it up.

Ignoring that, for those who WOULD still use the parks, the higher cost is a factor and makes it easier for them to choose other activities or free parks. There are plenty of people who pay a premium to live on/near a park (Connetquot, West Hills to name two I am very familiar with) and use the park. I know for a fact (based on total permits sold vs number of homeowners who actually use that park) that a majority of these people do not pay for the required permits.

I have been directly involved in situations for some parks. The government does use permit sales as a metric to claim park use. A few years ago they raised the equine permit fee for Connetquot by a substantial amount. Prior to that, they sold a relatively constant number of permits each year. After the increase, permit sales tanked. The State ignored the price increase as a factor, and put forth the claim that the park was being used less.

It seems you are stating that park use is down from some particular pointing the past because times have changed. Are you stating this arguable point to support of position for the reduction of park space?

Old 01-14-2016, 08:40 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
I see plenty of people using parks in Suffolk. However, you have to actually go outside and visit them to see this. I use at least 2 different Suffolk parks a week. You guys are REALLY generalizing with your statement about people stuck on Facebook and only wanting to use paved-path type parks.
Yea. seriously.

Also, the more rugged terrain in NJ and upstate NY is more attractive to hikers (at least it is to me). I do occasionally hike on Long Island and I'm never alone in the park.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well, I can tell you not everywhere in the Country is like that. I see plenty of young folks, families, and people enjoying the parks in Ocean County in NJ. Maybe because there usually isn't a fee to use them (except beaches in summer) but generally people there are different.
Now on LI I hardly see anyone on the trails, except in places further west, like the paths in Massapequa Preserve, Belmont Lake State Park, etc.
I don't see many LI'ers using their parks out east, particularly in the Pine Barrens. There seems to be almost no appreciation for the Pine Barrens at all, perhaps thats part of the reason why our efforts to preserve them have fallen so far short compared to New Jersey.
But I think there's a marked difference. Generally Long Islanders have become more like ppl in NYC, they prefer "manicured" parks, (developed) not preserves, they like paved paths, and grass, usually not native. Places like Central Park,etc.
Now in the parts of NJ I Have been in like Ocean County, people aren't afraid to go on actual nature trails, with native plans and environment. Its totally different, really.
You are right - I think the comment implying a significant decrease in park use is unfounded.

What you see has more to do with population density. As you get further west, the parks are mostly of the "manicured" type. Population density is higher, so you will see more people in the parks. (That said, places like Muttontown Preserve and even Sands Point get a lot of use on the trails.)

Further east, there are more large and un-manicured type parks. With a lower population density, there are fewer people to use the parks and those few are spread out over a larger area.

Either way, you are always going to see more people in a large open picnic area than you will on a wilderness trail.

As to the Pine Barrens... I have ridden them in both NJ and LI. I appreciate the point of saving them from an ecological standpoint. They, however, are the most boring places I have ever been to. You can walk for hours and feel like you have gone in a 20 ft circle. Go ahead and save the trees... but please don't force me to go back there.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:13 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post

As to the Pine Barrens... I have ridden them in both NJ and LI. I appreciate the point of saving them from an ecological standpoint. They, however, are the most boring places I have ever been to. You can walk for hours and feel like you have gone in a 20 ft circle. Go ahead and save the trees... but please don't force me to go back there.
there is a short walk through dwarf pine barrens on east side of Old Riverhead Road just south of Sunrise that is not too boring. It's fun in the winter. It was pretty well marked last time I was there (last winter).
Quogue Wildlife Refuge has a pretty cool dwarf pine forest too. Good thing about that is you have to walk in a few miles to find it.
I've been in Sarnoff and agree with you , it's the most boring place on LI. But it's quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island