Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 10:08 PM

852 posts, read 969,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
I grew up in Oceanside from 1949 - 1969. Things were decent then but LI did have more industries such as Republic and Grumman to share the burden.

It's a shame, LI residents cannot elect a government that will force fiscal responsibility.

Now live in NC and see the problem beginning here when folks ask for more services without understanding how they will be funded.

Good luck.
Hehe, that's exactly why when I moved off the Island, I was adamant about avoiding any place which is popular with other expats- Stupid NYers just keep doing the same things over and over- thus recreating a replica of the Hell that they moved to get away from. (And they wonder why the locals hate them!).

In most cases, you can take the NYer out of NY, but you can't take the NY out of the NYer. Isn't that a definition of insanity? To keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results?

I've seen the same thing here, only with expat Californians and Chicagoans- but luckily, there are only a handful of 'em- Not enough to actually do anything. (I'm actually friends with an ex-Chicagoan here, but he's as glad to be away from the nonsense of Chicago, as I am to be away from the crapola of NY!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 12:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
My fiancé and I have a condo in Patchogue Village we were paying almost $9000 a year on, $5500 village and $3500 town (which nobody told us when we first moved out to Long Island, we were quoted $5000 and not told about being taxed by the town, that's our fault for not researching more). The condo looks nice, but there are so many problems. The front doorknob keeps coming loose, as does the kitchen faucet. The AC and heat are poorly distributed - the bedrooms and bathrooms get plenty of it, and in case of the heat downright uncomfortable because it blasts in those rooms. The living room and kitchen however get none of it, so you have to crank up the heat even more to burn up your bedroom and jack up your already high utility bills. The shower curtain they installed in one of the bathrooms came down, as did the two subsequent ones they replaced it with.

Now we'll do the repairs ourselves, rent it out, and let them pay for its extravagant taxes!
$5,500 in Village taxes for Patchogue? That's beyond insane!

Old 02-08-2016, 12:04 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That is insane! Do they have their own police department? Even if they do, that's a lot based on the value of the property.

I've seen $5,500 in Lynbrook (which as their own PD) on a house in the $500s.

My Valley Stream village taxes are about $2,200, which I consider fair, since it seems to balance out what I would have pay to TOH for the services my village provides.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:23 PM

258 posts, read 456,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
That is insane! Do they have their own police department? Even if they do, that's a lot based on the value of the property.

I've seen $5,500 in Lynbrook (which as their own PD) on a house in the $500s.

My Valley Stream village taxes are about $2,200, which I consider fair, since it seems to balance out what I would have pay to TOH for the services my village provides.
They have a Public Safety department, and all I've ever seen them do is hand out parking tickets on Main Street and go to Dunkin' Donuts on Waverly Avenue. Police presence is always SCPD. We're also paying for that stellar Pat-Med school district!

Old 02-08-2016, 02:24 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
They have a Public Safety department, and all I've ever seen them do is hand out parking tickets on Main Street and go to Dunkin' Donuts on Waverly Avenue. Police presence is always SCPD. We're also paying for that stellar Pat-Med school district!
Wow. That's unbelievable. We have public safety, too, and a village pool, and a park system!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:42 PM

622 posts, read 853,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Well they did 'renovate' the village. Now it's filled with all sorts of yuppie (do we still use this word?) eateries and $6.00 ice cream cone joints.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Well they did 'renovate' the village. Now it's filled with all sorts of yuppie (do we still use this word?) eateries and $6.00 ice cream cone joints.
Renovated on the backs of those paying $5500 to live in (what sounded like) a poorly constructed condo.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 PM

852 posts, read 969,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Yeah, they seem to do that every 20 years or so. It lasts a few years, and then the place reverts back to the one-step-above-a-slum dump which it has been for the last 50 years, with half the store fronts empty again, and garbage on the fancy sidewalks.

As a poster on another forum always says: "Patchogue: The only place where property values DECREASE the closer you get to the water"!

Old 02-09-2016, 05:12 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Taxes are not high in a vacuum. They are high because real estate values are high. Real estate values are high because the area is desireable and that is where you have access to the higher paying jobs.

Don't forget leverage is your friend . A 600k home going up 5% is way more than a 150k home in cheapsville going up 5%.

After decades on long island many long islanders sell their expensive small homes , relocate to cheapville and live very well. On the other hand most locals have far less in net worth then those long island transplants that sell and move there.
Just something to consider when folks living in cheapsville all their lives mention how they would never live in such high cost areas.

High cost of living areas are high cost because they are desireble and many
times it is worth it .

We had a 2nd home in the pocono's. Yeah it was cheaper there but those locals accumulated little wealth. Most of the transplants from the tristate area were far better off at the end of the day.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-09-2016 at 05:22 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 AM

258 posts, read 456,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Yeah, they seem to do that every 20 years or so. It lasts a few years, and then the place reverts back to the one-step-above-a-slum dump which it has been for the last 50 years, with half the store fronts empty again, and garbage on the fancy sidewalks.

As a poster on another forum always says: "Patchogue: The only place where property values DECREASE the closer you get to the water"!
Don't forget Mastic Beach, that has some pretty 'unique' waterfront properties too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island