Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:16 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,544,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah7727 View Post
The problem is with the zoning of the town. How do you expect someone to park 20 minutes away rather than in a station just 3-4 mins. Town clerk should use common sense and put this small area of Bethpage into Town of Oyester Bay, where it belongs.
The "common sense" you propose would involve changing tax maps to move entires sections of homes from one municipality to another. It couYour home would no longer be in TOH - it would be in TOB, which may or may not change things.

I see what you mean, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. If they move the line over a few streets, then the people on the "new" border may have an issue with being "that close." Conversely, others may have an issue with being "too far" from town services. No matter where you draw a line, someone on the edge will have a reason why they should be on the other side.

The simpler solution would be to simply call your area "Levittown" (or whichever TOH area you are adjacent to). That way, nothing would change except one word in your return address.

Odds are, the area really isn't "Bethpage" - it is likely one of those places that is really part of Levittown, but didn't want to be associated with that name and thus adopted the "Bethpage" moniker long ago. There are many areas on Long Island that do this. I know people in the Suffolk area of Farmingdale (HHH schools. That situation is even more strange than the Bethpage one being discussed). They had some strange aversion to the town name, so they write "South Melville" as their return address. I never understood people who judged others (and themselves) by their address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,144 times
I understand the issue and can commiserate as I have the same issue which means I will have to drive an extra 8 miles each way every day to park at Wantagh. It's a great way to waste natural resources. In Northern California where I used to live, commuting was a much easier/orderly experience. Instead of commuters from different areas having a tax map to contend with, the BART system simply purchased the property surrounding the train stations and anyone could park for free, which is how it should be everywhere. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,717,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therick View Post
For five years I have lived in that little sliver of Bethpage that is actually considered Hempstead. Despite this, I have been issued a Town of Oyster Bay parking permit several times without issue. I went in person to renew this week and now they said I can no longer get a permit... that I was getting them in error. I find this odd because I always go in person to get my sticker and they have issued it several times like I said. They even mailed me the renewal form a couple weeks ago.

This means that even though I live in Bethpage, I cannot park at the Bethpage train station. Or Hicksville for that matter. Plus, the N80 bus line has been discontinued so I can no longer even take the bus to Hicksville station. I went to both Town hall's and they said I can't have the permit. My question is: is the Town Clerk a reasonable man where if I wrote him or visited him personally he may make an exception? Like I said, I'm in Bethpage, where a lot of it is Oyster Bay anyway, and have gotten a permit for years. It's not like I'm coming from a totally different town and looking for a permit for the first time...thanks for the advice..

You should be able to get a TOH permit...... Bring your tax bill with you. You will just have to change train lines.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 AM

20,102 posts, read 20,910,392 times
Not to hijack or derail, but isn't there some kind of exemption in TOH where if you have "no parking" sign in front of your home you can get a sticker or permit that allows you and only you to park there in front of your own house? Or is this an urban myth...

Old 04-22-2016, 06:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,144 times
agw123 - You obviously didn't read my message. Separately, too bad TOB couldn't charge a stipend for those TOH very near Bethpage, to use that station and not contribute to carbon emissions for needless additional driving. You know they whole climate change argument.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:23 AM

8,700 posts, read 11,098,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Not to hijack or derail, but isn't there some kind of exemption in TOH where if you have "no parking" sign in front of your home you can get a sticker or permit that allows you and only you to park there in front of your own house? Or is this an urban myth...

my neighbor a few blocks down in a way did this......they changed the street signs in front of his house to handicap only....and its permissible to park all day

Old 04-25-2016, 09:46 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,717,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwahhaha View Post
agw123 - You obviously didn't read my message. Separately, too bad TOB couldn't charge a stipend for those TOH very near Bethpage, to use that station and not contribute to carbon emissions for needless additional driving. You know they whole climate change argument.
Why would they want to benefit a non-taxpayer of their district? Parking is at a premium in TOB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island