Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 22,016 times

Advertisements

Hi all: my husband has received a job offer in Stony Brook and we are considering moving there from NC. We currently live very comfortably in a new construction, 4200 sq ft house in a beautiful neighborhood. I stay home with our 2 young children (2 and 4) and we have a third on the way. I am aware that a house like ours would be more than double what we paid here, so I'm concerned about our quality of life with this move. This is a personal question and will vary by opinion, but what is your idea of a good salary to live on LI in the stony brook area? I saw some homes online 2800-3200 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, updated, for around $800,000. Is this reasonable to expect? What kind of salary would you want to make to live in a home like this, and still have money to go on trips, go out, and in general live well and comfortably? We are waiting to hear specific numbers, but it sounds like they will be paying more than he is currently paid. However, due to the difference in cost of living, it will essentially be like he's making less. While everything isn't about money, it is still a concern for us. Additionally, where would you recommend a family like ours to look for a home? My husband would be working at the hospital, so something with a 30 min maximum commute. Which school district should we stick with? Since homes and property taxes are so high, I'd like to take advantage of the best public school possible. Where we currently live, public schools are terrible and we planned on private school. My children currently attend a Montessori Pre school so any information on montessori schools in the area would be great too. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:39 PM

291 posts, read 336,203 times
You can find a really good homes in stony brook/nesconset area for 600-650k that are really good. I would expect a salary of $250k to live a very comfortable lifestyle as you've described.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:46 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
The cost of the house isn't the only thing....

Do you have any idea what property taxes on LI would be for a $600K-$800K house?
And EVERYTHING on LI is more expensive. Highest energy costs in the country.
Taxes and fees for EWVERYTHING- even goiing to the beach.
You need a permit to park at many recreational facilities, like parks and beaches (Which can be very expensive if the facility is not in the town in which you live)

And the thing is, in many respects, you can not have the quality of life on LI that you can have in many other places, for ANY price. LI is over-developed. You get stuck in traffic pretty much anywhere you go. People in general on LI are nasty and unfriendly. The infrastructure is old falling apart, due to lack of maintenance and being used at a capacity it was never designed to accommodate. There's a lot of litter, dirt and ugliness, because the over-paid town and county union-monkeys are inept and unconscientious......

It's a different world, and one in which you pay a LOT more money for a low quality of life. I spent the first 39 years of my life there, and then finally escaped to south of the Mason-Dixon line 15 years ago, and never looked back.

Oh, yeah, and the weather on LI sucks! Long crappy winters, and humid mosquito-filled summers!

Old 04-28-2016, 05:32 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post

Do you have any idea what property taxes on LI would be for a $600K-$800K house?
You need a permit to park at many recreational facilities, like parks and beaches (Which can be very expensive if the facility is not in the town in which you live)

And the thing is, in many respects, you can not have the quality of life on LI that you can have in many other places, for ANY price. LI is over-developed. You get stuck in traffic pretty much anywhere you go. People in general on LI are nasty and unfriendly. The infrastructure is old falling apart, due to lack of maintenance and being used at a capacity it was never designed to accommodate. There's a lot of litter, dirt and ugliness, because the over-paid town and county union-monkeys are inept and unconscientious......

It's a different world, and one in which you pay a LOT more money for a low quality of life. I spent the first 39 years of my life there, and then finally escaped to south of the Mason-Dixon line 15 years ago, and never looked back.

Oh, yeah, and the weather on LI sucks! Long crappy winters, and humid mosquito-filled summers!
That's all a matter of perspective. For someone who was born and raised in NYC, I look forward to moving into LI. I'm tired of the hustling for parking and lack of space and green. In addition, LI schools are above and beyond the NYC school system. Plus, I'm a civil servant so I'm married to the area for another 27+ years. There are cheap alternatives if one wants to own a house around here.

Last edited by nyccs; 04-28-2016 at 06:36 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 06:21 AM

92 posts, read 127,899 times
I think you need to honestly consider how much the size and age of your house will affect your happiness. Everyone has an opinion on this. This thread could fill up with them. Realistically, the only right answer is your feelings. Your family won't benefit if you move and you're miserable.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Original poster...lets start with the salary. Then we can tell you yes or no. Very simple...all comes down to the mighty dollar.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:06 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Original poster...lets start with the salary. Then we can tell you yes or no. Very simple...all comes down to the mighty dollar.

Or not so mighty....

Old 04-28-2016, 07:07 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pss96 View Post
Hi all: my husband has received a job offer in Stony Brook and we are considering moving there from NC. We currently live very comfortably in a new construction, 4200 sq ft house in a beautiful neighborhood. I stay home with our 2 young children (2 and 4) and we have a third on the way. I am aware that a house like ours would be more than double what we paid here, so I'm concerned about our quality of life with this move. This is a personal question and will vary by opinion, but what is your idea of a good salary to live on LI in the stony brook area? I saw some homes online 2800-3200 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, updated, for around $800,000. Is this reasonable to expect? What kind of salary would you want to make to live in a home like this, and still have money to go on trips, go out, and in general live well and comfortably? We are waiting to hear specific numbers, but it sounds like they will be paying more than he is currently paid. However, due to the difference in cost of living, it will essentially be like he's making less. While everything isn't about money, it is still a concern for us. Additionally, where would you recommend a family like ours to look for a home? My husband would be working at the hospital, so something with a 30 min maximum commute. Which school district should we stick with? Since homes and property taxes are so high, I'd like to take advantage of the best public school possible. Where we currently live, public schools are terrible and we planned on private school. My children currently attend a Montessori Pre school so any information on montessori schools in the area would be great too. Thank you!

There are pleanty of non-montesouri pre schools on LI.... and most of them are good.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:37 AM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
That's all a matter of perspective. For someone who was born and raised in NYC, I look forward to moving into LI. I'm tired of the hustling for parking and lack of space and green. In addition, LI schools are above and beyond the NYC school system. Plus, I'm a civil servant so I'm married to the area for another 27+ years. There are cheap alternatives if one wants to own a house around here.
I have to agree with you there- LI is definitely a breath of fresh air (literally) compared to NYC. If all you've ever known is NYC, yes, LI will seem like a paradise by comparison- but that's like saying that swimming in a swamp is so much better than swimming in a cesspool.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:09 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post

How fired up do you get when you write stuff like this? I picture a vein popped in the forehead, maybe some sweat on the upper lip. Definitely a raised heart rate and shaking hands as evident by the spelling errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island