Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 10:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Dead on Bee. Selfishly I just want south of Montauk to hold on for a couple years when we sell and go south full time. It's sad but in the past 2-3 years neighborhoods off Carleton Av north of Sunrise have taken a significant downturn from which there is no recovery.
Comparing the report cards between 2014 an 2015:

There was an increase from 578 (14% student body) economically disadvantaged students to 710 (18%).

Races/ethnicities didn't change much over all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 12:23 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,500 times
I have lived in the Terrace and E.I. as a renter for about 10 years. Now 23 Years as a home owner. South of Sunrise, North of Montauk [ Main street] Off Carlton. Taxes have more than doubled in the 23 years. The school system was fantastic. Maybe you would want to check the schools out . Go to the various school buildings when the children are let out. See what walks out.
I won't say beware section 8. BUTT [pun] You may want to see what "affordable" housing is being done on the street your interested in. BEWARE. One on a block near me was completely rebuilt with the best of everything. New Gas heat, water, Anderson windows, appliances [ including a dish washer] . New drive way and walk. TREX Front DECK. Land scaped, lawn, trees, bushes, 6' stockade fence . Almost a Thousand applied for it. Gee guess who moved in. Oh they could not afford to buy it, so the TOWN of Islip is renting it, if and when they get enough to buy it.
Started with MOM,DAD and 2 young kids .
Now there are 2 adult males [sometimes 3] 3 adult females and 5 young children. None of the adults speak ENGLISH to each other or any of the children. Only the Mom and DAD can speak any English. [ not sure about the kids] Not putting anyone down, but why is we had to earn and pay for the home we live in. And then pay for any or all upgrades.
For months the new house had NO real window treatments
Beware . Bet you will never see this in any area where the Town big-wigs or well to do live.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
I have lived in the Terrace and E.I. as a renter for about 10 years. Now 23 Years as a home owner. South of Sunrise, North of Montauk [ Main street] Off Carlton. Taxes have more than doubled in the 23 years. The school system was fantastic. Maybe you would want to check the schools out . Go to the various school buildings when the children are let out. See what walks out.
I won't say beware section 8. BUTT [pun] You may want to see what "affordable" housing is being done on the street your interested in. BEWARE. One on a block near me was completely rebuilt with the best of everything. New Gas heat, water, Anderson windows, appliances [ including a dish washer] . New drive way and walk. TREX Front DECK. Land scaped, lawn, trees, bushes, 6' stockade fence . Almost a Thousand applied for it. Gee guess who moved in. Oh they could not afford to buy it, so the TOWN of Islip is renting it, if and when they get enough to buy it.
Started with MOM,DAD and 2 young kids .
Now there are 2 adult males [sometimes 3] 3 adult females and 5 young children. None of the adults speak ENGLISH to each other or any of the children. Only the Mom and DAD can speak any English. [ not sure about the kids] Not putting anyone down, but why is we had to earn and pay for the home we live in. And then pay for any or all upgrades.
For months the new house had NO real window treatments
Beware . Bet you will never see this in any area where the Town big-wigs or well to do live.

The district went from 84% white and 11% Hispanic in 2012 to 80% white and 14% Hispanic in 2015.
Overall enrollment was 4,463 in 2012 which had dropped to 3,946 in 2015
2012: 3,751 white; 508 Hispanic; 67 Asian; 57 black/African American: 79 multiracial
2015: 3,174 white; 533 Hispanic; 81 Asian; 65 black/African American; 91 multiracial

I have to wonder how much of this is spillover from Central Islip. Looking at that district's demographics, white and black/African American student population decreased while the Hispanic student body grew.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:07 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Make East Islip great again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island