Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 AM

8 posts, read 13,276 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family (husband and 2 young children) are looking to move out of Forest Hills, Queens to either Rockville Centre or Garden City. We have looked in both towns and are happy with schools, the towns are obviously different but both are pretty and safe. I guess I feel like we'd be happy in either one, so at this point I'm curious which one is probably the better investment for buying a home?

I know we'll get more house for the $$$ in Rockville Centre but if we sell it in 5 years will we make any money on it? i.e. I've been told Garden City is a great place to buy a house right now because it's growing more and more popular, but I have not heard the same regarding RVC. I'm not sure if that means anything.

Oh, and I'm also interested in where people are nicer. This may sound dumb, but I'm looking for more relaxed, less HONKING, less yelling and less altercations - which is a major reason I'm leaving the city.

Any insight into these two towns would be helpful.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 10:21 AM

218 posts, read 267,990 times
Why are you buying a house if you are talking about selling it in 5 years? You are better off renting.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:52 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
you're over thinking it. Assuming you have no strong preference or any ties to GC or RVC one way or the other, just get the best possible house for you or your family in either community. Anyone who tells you they know which specific areas are going to potentially rise in value 5 years from now is full of it. The market could completely crash again between now and then for all we know.

As for which area is nicer, I find people's perception on this issue typically has more to do with their own ability to get along with others and has little to do with the neighborhood itself.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:11 AM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
you're over thinking it. Assuming you have no strong preference or any ties to GC or RVC one way or the other, just get the best possible house for you or your family in either community. Anyone who tells you they know which specific areas are going to potentially rise in value 5 years from now is full of it. The market could completely crash again between now and then for all we know.

As for which area is nicer, I find people's perception on this issue typically has more to do with their own ability to get along with others and has little to do with the neighborhood itself.
Agree 100%. You're not going to lose money in either town. Well maybe if you buy a house backing up to the Mainline RR tracks in Garden City. And if any town has become more popular it is probably RVC. I don't see any real change with GC from 20-25 years ago. Always been sought after by people who work in the city as it's an easier commute.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:55 PM

20,028 posts, read 20,835,571 times
RVC.
Garden City is not worth the extra expense.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:03 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,073,293 times
neither for 5 years. Invest in FH

Old 08-08-2016, 01:15 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
RVC.
Garden City is not worth the extra expense.
Depends on what demographics you want. If you want white and Christian, GC may be worth the higher price... there aren't many town on LI that fit that bill. Offhand I can only think of GC and Manhassett, which is even more expensive. Maybe Franklin Square. RVC also has mediocre highway access (but good LIRR).

Old 08-08-2016, 07:07 PM

20,028 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Depends on what demographics you want. If you want white and Christian, GC may be worth the higher price... there aren't many town on LI that fit that bill. Offhand I can only think of GC and Manhassett, which is even more expensive. Maybe Franklin Square. RVC also has mediocre highway access (but good LIRR).
Era era, Sunrise Highway runs right through RVC.
Also easy jump to the Southern State Parking Lot, I mean parkway.
And, Merrick Road. Garden City is a pain in the nuts to get anywhere. Very congested area, not that RVC isn't but GC more so.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:20 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
you can't get much more white or catholic than RVC. And the majority of RVC is within 5 mins of the SSP.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:05 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
you can't get much more white or catholic than RVC. And the majority of RVC is within 5 mins of the SSP.
You can get more white and Catholic - Garden CitY. 88% vs.78% per the 2010 census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island