Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:59 AM

428 posts, read 970,209 times

Advertisements

Please. Born and bred New Yorkers, please help me.

I am not from NY. I grew up in South Florida, so pardon my ignorance.

We will be buying in Huntington soon. We love it. The taxes are 100% worth it, in my opinion. Huntington and say, Carle Place/Rockville Centee is the closest ;ifestyle I have found to home (Miami).

I AM SICK and tired of hearing "everyone is moving out of long island, the taxes are SO HIGH." My father in law has lived in Queens since 1980something. Where he lives off Linden blvd (bordering the ghetto if you ask anyone), the houses are $900K in his neighborhood. WTF? And then he complains that my $8000-9000 tax home is too high? It's a freaking steal, and I'll gladly pay for the neighborhood and school I want my daughter to attend.

So sick of this crap. My coworkers from Bayside and North Queens say the same crap. What is this nonsense? I searched all over Westchester and Rockland County and THOSE taxes are high. You want to talk high, go there.

When you still have to send your grandchildren and kids to private school at $6,000 per year for EACH kid, uh, you're getting hosed either way. Not to mention - be careful with the Linden blvd peers influence when they want to hang out with people in the neighborhood you live in! So why not choose the nice neighborhood? Gah, I can't. I get it that he's 75 yrs old. I don't know what reputation old school Long Island has. But what is this nonsense?

How does it make ANY sense for me to buy a "big house" on Linden freaking blvd for almost a million dollars rather than a really nice L.I. smaller home decently priced for good tax money ($8-9K).

Maybe I'm brainwashed by L.I. bc I like it and want to raise our family there. What gives w/this mentality? He isn't the only one talking like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 11:08 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post

We will be buying in Huntington soon. We love it. The taxes are 100% worth it, in my opinion. Huntington and say, Carle Place/Rockville Centee is the closest ;ifestyle I have found to home (Miami).

I AM SICK and tired of hearing "everyone is moving out of long island, the taxes are SO HIGH." My father in law has lived in Queens since 1980something. Where he lives off Linden blvd (bordering the ghetto if you ask anyone), the houses are $900K in his neighborhood. WTF? And then he complains that my $8000-9000 tax home is too high? It's a freaking steal, and I'll gladly pay for the neighborhood and school I want my daughter to attend.

So sick of this crap. My coworkers from Bayside and North Queens say the same crap. What is this nonsense? I searched all over Westchester and Rockland County and THOSE taxes are high. You want to talk high, go there.

When you still have to send your grandchildren and kids to private school at $6,000 per year for EACH kid, uh, you're getting hosed either way. Not to mention - be careful with the Linden blvd peers influence when they want to hang out with people in the neighborhood you live in! So why not choose the nice neighborhood? Gah, I can't. I get it that he's 75 yrs old. I don't know what reputation old school Long Island has. But what is this nonsense?

How does it make ANY sense for me to buy a "big house" on Linden freaking blvd for almost a million dollars rather than a really nice L.I. smaller home decently priced for good tax money ($8-9K).

Maybe I'm brainwashed by L.I. bc I like it and want to raise our family there. What gives w/this mentality? He isn't the only one talking like this.
He is probably just comparing the property taxes. But the property taxes can be acceptable if you have school age kids and your alternative is sending them to private school in the city. It would end up cheaper living in Long Island now since house prices in the city have gone way way up since the 1980s. Don't forget you wouldn't be subject to the 3.5% NYC income tax as well when you move into LI.

And if your FIL has been in that house since the 1980s, chances are he got it for really cheap as housing prices have skyrocketed since that time.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:21 AM

730 posts, read 1,658,430 times
Millena - I have to agree with you on the taxes / school issue. We moved to Nassau County in 1997 from our home in Brooklyn. Our taxes in Bklyn were approximately $2,000, the taxes in our new Nassau County home were $6,000. However, if we were still in Bklyn, we would have had to send each of our 3 sons to a private school as the local schools were not to our liking. So, the $6,000 in real estate taxes were (get ready for this...) a bargain, as our schools here in Nassau County are considerably better than our old neighborhood in Bklyn.

BTW, each of sons have graduated from the local high school, went to NYS colleges and have all graduated. Now, we are faced with paying the taxes that were once a bargain, but now not so much....

Old 10-11-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Millena - I have to agree with you on the taxes / school issue. We moved to Nassau County in 1997 from our home in Brooklyn. Our taxes in Bklyn were approximately $2,000, the taxes in our new Nassau County home were $6,000. However, if we were still in Bklyn, we would have had to send each of our 3 sons to a private school as the local schools were not to our liking. So, the $6,000 in real estate taxes were (get ready for this...) a bargain, as our schools here in Nassau County are considerably better than our old neighborhood in Bklyn.

BTW, each of sons have graduated from the local high school, went to NYS colleges and have all graduated. Now, we are faced with paying the taxes that were once a bargain, but now not so much....
I would really consider to move back to the city in a condo apt. Or small house when my kids are off to college.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:55 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
I'll stay out in the sticks.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:12 PM

170 posts, read 193,263 times
If you have more than 1 school age child then you can justify the high taxes in most LI and Westchester neighborhoods because you are basically paying for good schools. But if you only have 1 kid or no kids, then you are throwing money in the trash by paying such high (school) taxes.
We recently moved to Long Island because of the schools and are paying over $10k in property taxes. Once the kids are done with school however, I don't see myself sticking around.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:23 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post

People sometimes don't appreciate how much Queens RE taxes have gone up in the past couple of decades. Many people also fail to appreciate that Long Island residents do not pay NYC income taxes (with a few exceptions) and if you make a good salary, that's a huge benefit. I maybe would have purchased a home in Astoria or in NE Queens but factoring in prices, taxes and schools, Long Island was a complete no-brainer for me. On top of that my commute is comparable to, or faster than, much of "suburban" Queens.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:25 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker1979 View Post
If you have more than 1 school age child then you can justify the high taxes in most LI and Westchester neighborhoods because you are basically paying for good schools. But if you only have 1 kid or no kids, then you are throwing money in the trash by paying such high (school) taxes.
We recently moved to Long Island because of the schools and are paying over $10k in property taxes. Once the kids are done with school however, I don't see myself sticking around.
$10k isn't bad. I understand if you want to leave the area entirely, but you won't save money in the boroughs on a comparable home, once (assuming you are making a relatively good income) you factor in NYC income taxes (let alone the house price itself).

Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Your $8k to $9k tax home sounds low. One way or another your taxes are going up.

You may think the taxes are "100% worth it" but you'd be wrong! It drives up costs across the board. Taxes on my grandfathers lovely $1.2m house in Brooklyn are under $6k. My crap Levitt taxes are $11.5k. You can call it worth it. I call it extortion.

That Linden Blvd house will appreciate at 35% or maybe much more over the next 10 years as NYC continues to gentrify. Your dad is sitting on a pot of gold. Your Huntington home will maybe appreciate 2-8% and your taxes will go up endlessly. I hope you enjoy it enough to still be worth it.

Many of us here pretend it's worth it because we like it here, know the potential and for whatever reason we call it home, but few will tell you their taxes are 'worth it." Basically it's just an uneven comparison. There are many lifestyle and financial differences between the city and the suburbs.

Stick around a while and enjoy the corruption, malfeasance and dysfunctional govt! See where your taxes actually go and what you get back. Give us your updated review in a year or two.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
$10k isn't bad. I understand if you want to leave the area entirely, but you won't save money in the boroughs on a comparable home, once (assuming you are making a relatively good income) you factor in NYC income taxes (let alone the house price itself).
Doubt it will be $10k in property taxes 20 years from now when my kids are off to college. Can easily see it being double that at the current rate of increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island