Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 PM

17 posts, read 120,391 times

Advertisements

I didnt see it on the Town of Hempstead's website so we'd love it if someone could tell us what's the deal with parking at the various south shore beaches that are considered Town beaches/parks? We're moving into the area (to a village within the vast Town of Hempstead) and would like to know how we can use beaches closer to our house than jones beach. How do we park at all those beaches from point look out to lido to long beach to atlantic beach, etc? And which ones aren't the most crowded?

and just b/c I can't wait any more for summer... YAY! THE BEACH!!!!!!!

oh yeah - and what's the deal with the cabanas I saw today out at, hmmmm, was it Lido? how can I get me one of those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 11:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
I personally like the Lido Beach Town Park. They have pools, both kiddie & full size, baseball fields, volley ball courts etc. If I remember correctly you just have to show your license for proof of residence at the booth when you pay to enter. I would imagine the same at the Atlantic Beach booths, too.

Long Beach allows anyone to use the beach but you have to pay... and it has gotten expensive. I believe it was $10 for age 13 or above to get on. You can buy a non-resident pass cheaper. Here is the info:
The City of Long Beach, New York -- 2007 Beach Park Information

Old 03-02-2008, 05:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Wow. When I grew up in Oceanside in the 60's, we jumped off the boardwalk to save the 25 cent fee.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:38 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livitup View Post
I didnt see it on the Town of Hempstead's website so we'd love it if someone could tell us what's the deal with parking at the various south shore beaches that are considered Town beaches/parks? We're moving into the area (to a village within the vast Town of Hempstead) and would like to know how we can use beaches closer to our house than jones beach. How do we park at all those beaches from point look out to lido to long beach to atlantic beach, etc? And which ones aren't the most crowded?

and just b/c I can't wait any more for summer... YAY! THE BEACH!!!!!!!

oh yeah - and what's the deal with the cabanas I saw today out at, hmmmm, was it Lido? how can I get me one of those?
Town beaches are open to town residents. Usually you buy a season pass/sticker for your car. (Even if you live within an incorporated village in the town, you're still a town resident.) The largest town beach is in Point Lookout. Some of the beaches in and around Atlantic Beach are either private or run by the village. I'm not sure if there's a town beach there or not.

The cabanas at Lido are run by the county. There's a waiting list as long as your arm for them.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:42 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Town beaches are open to town residents. Usually you buy a season pass/sticker for your car. (Even if you live within an incorporated village in the town, you're still a town resident.) The largest town beach is in Point Lookout. Some of the beaches in and around Atlantic Beach are either private or run by the village. I'm not sure if there's a town beach there or not.

The cabanas at Lido are run by the county. There's a waiting list as long as your arm for them.
Point Lookout is a GREAT beach....where are these cabanas you guys are talking about? I've never seen or heard of any...

Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
I think they are referring to the ones near Malibu? Nicholson Beach?

Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 22,089 times
I live in Levittown and closest train station is hicksville, but town of oyster bay parking permit is needed for parking at train station. how can i get a permit to park there?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I personally like the Lido Beach Town Park. They have pools, both kiddie & full size, baseball fields, volley ball courts etc. If I remember correctly you just have to show your license for proof of residence at the booth when you pay to enter. I would imagine the same at the Atlantic Beach booths, too.

Long Beach allows anyone to use the beach but you have to pay... and it has gotten expensive. I believe it was $10 for age 13 or above to get on. You can buy a non-resident pass cheaper. Here is the info:
The City of Long Beach, New York -- 2007 Beach Park Information
Long beach isn't worth it. It went up, it's $12 now I believe and the parking is a nightmare. It gets really crowded too b/c Long Beach is where most of the city people come from as it is really the only beach with train access within walking distance.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:28 AM

180 posts, read 312,142 times
For Point Lookout Town Park and Lido Beach, living elsewhere in Nassau isn't good enough for free entry, right? I read elsewhere that it can be expensive for visitors? Thanks to any help :-)
Edit: never mind, found this comprehensive source on Long Island beaches: http://www.nymetroparents.com/articl...d-for-Families

Last edited by poochcol; 07-19-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 03:05 PM

703 posts, read 1,173,425 times
There are cabanas at Nickerson beach. There's a lottery in February. With a Nassau Couty Leisure Pass it's $10 to park. There's a skate park, a dog park, etc. there are also several private beach clubs in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island