Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:32 PM

12 posts, read 75,071 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Georgia. My husband will be working in Manhattan (midtown east). We have three children - 8,4, and 1. We are looking for good public schools, an area that offers a quaint and fun atmosphere for families, and an acceptable commute into the city for work. Living in the suburbs of Atlanta, my husband has dealt with considerable traffic and unpredictable commute times (driving). Can anyone offer thoughts on the Northport area? We are looking to rent for about 2 years and then buy if we find that we like the area. What are the schools, town, beaches like? Thanks!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:17 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Northport

For those who may not be familiar with Northport:

Northport is a village (incorporated in 1894) in the northeast part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Northport in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by Northport Bay, the Village of Asharoken and the Hamlet of Fort Salonga; on the east by the Hamlet of Fort Salonga; on the south by the Hamlet of East Northport; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Centerport and Northport Harbor.

The Village of Northport has a different border than does the "Northport, NY 11768" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address and not be in the Village of Northport): places that have a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address that are not in the Village of Northport are in the Hamlet of Eatons Neck, the Village of Asharoken, the Hamlet of Fort Salonga, the Hamlet of East Northport and the Hamlet of Centerport.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 02-23-2008, 10:34 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default Very nice harbor town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
I am relocating from Georgia. My husband will be working in Manhattan (midtown east). We have three children - 8,4, and 1. We are looking for good public schools, an area that offers a quaint and fun atmosphere for families, and an acceptable commute into the city for work. Living in the suburbs of Atlanta, my husband has dealt with considerable traffic and unpredictable commute times (driving). Can anyone offer thoughts on the Northport area? We are looking to rent for about 2 years and then buy if we find that we like the area. What are the schools, town, beaches like? Thanks!
You picked an awfully nice area to start...as far as rentals...East Northport will probably have more available in that category (same school district in most parts though). Strong schools, parks, beaches, etc.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Northport is a great family area, good schools, gorgeous homes and a nice beach, you can't go wrong. I agree, you would not find too many rentals there but eventually you would find a rental within that school district somewhere. Commute to Manhattan could be rough though...could take 2 hours each way door to door (factoring in driving to train, parking, being on train, etc).

Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with East Northport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
(A)s far as rentals...East Northport will probably have more available in that category (same school district in most parts though). Strong schools, parks, beaches, etc.

For those who may not be familiar with East Northport:

East Northport is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County, along the Huntington/Smithtown town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Northport in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Village of Northport and the Hamlet of Fort Salonga; on the east by the Hamlet of Fort Salonga and the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Smithtown (the Huntington/Smithtown town line); on the south by the Hamlet of Commack, the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Greenlawn; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of Centerport.

The Hamlet of East Northport has a different border than does the "East Northport, NY 11731" Zip Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of East Northport and a place can have other than an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of East Northport): places that have an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of East Northport are in the Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Commack; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of East Northport with a "Northport, NY 11768" and "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM

245 posts, read 298,661 times
Default East Northport

I think Northport is a fantastic idea, and East Northport just about as good. There is a train in town, just near the border between N & E.N. With one transfer, you arrive in NYC.

The schools are ranked very highly, just check the GreatSchools.net website.

Taxes are pretty high on property, so keep that in mind.

The beach won't be like most beaches. It is on the Sound side, so it is rockier and doesn't seem to role as much as the beaches I was used to near New Smyrna in Florida. I'm told that the southern beaches seem more like Atlantic beaches. It is also a small beach, but it never seemed so small that it seemed crowded by any measure (I'm writing about CrabMeadow beach).

Lots of things for kids to do who want to be smart.

Moderator cut: insensitive remark

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-27-2008 at 06:00 PM..

Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 PM

85 posts, read 415,551 times
Northport is a beautiful area. I could not think of a better area to raise a family.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:09 PM

12 posts, read 75,071 times
Default Thanks!

You guys are great!! Thank you so much for all of the input!!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:07 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,232 times
I'd look in Northport,great town... but while I was looking there I'd also look in the next town West of there which is Huntington. Its a bigger town with a lot of real nice shops, museums, parks etc. They're about ten minutes apart from one another.
From Huntington to NYC on the RR it's one hour.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Huntington

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
... I'd also look in the next town West of there which is Huntington.

Actually, Huntington is the second community to the west of Northport and East Northport, with Centerport on the north and and Greenlawn on the south between Northport and East Northport on the east and and Huntington on the west.

For those who may not be familiar with Huntington:

Huntington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by Huntington Harbor, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, Huntington Bay and the Hamlet of Centerport; on the east by the Hamlet of Centerport and the Hamlet of Greenlawn; on the south by the Hamlet of Huntington Station; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Village of Lloyd Harbor.

The Hamlet of Huntington has a different border than does the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington and a place can have other than a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington). Those places that have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington are in the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, the Village of Lloyd Harbor, the Hamlet of Centerport, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of Elwood; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" and a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 02-24-2008 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island