Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
OP: I have two main thoughts pertaining to this discussion...

You'll find that there are people who define any commute over nine minutes as torture - many of them have never done it. You'll also find that most don't choose to acknowledge the difference between commuting by car or by train - there's a huge difference. Commuting by car is non-productive; commuting by train can be quite productive even if it only produces some additional sleep time.

Babylon has "stuff;" Dix Hills has no "there" there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
That is true. Many posters here get all bent out of shape talking about long commutes while they drive 10 minutes to their job in Melville.

That said, I have personally commuted for many years out of multiple stations in both nassau and suffolk.

You get more for your money in Suffolk - let's be honest. But I found my happiness levels were most impacted by a short commute. More time at home with family vs a slightly larger property.
Everybody is going to have a different definition of "quality of life". Those of us who value leisure time and/or time with family are going to want the shortest commute possible, and we aren't really going to care whether it's by car or train.

Hopefully the OP is making the right decision for himself and his partner. What I worry about is the OP and his partner might be willing to accept the commute when they are excited about their new job and their new house, and everything is good. But what about when there is a blizzard, you have the flu, the LIRR is on strike or is having switching problems, the twins are sick and home from school, and your boss is still demanding that you be on time to work and that you aren't working enough overtime? Maybe an extreme example, but things often all go wrong at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 02:27 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Everybody is going to have a different definition of "quality of life". Those of us who value leisure time and/or time with family are going to want the shortest commute possible, and we aren't really going to care whether it's by car or train.

Hopefully the OP is making the right decision for himself and his partner. What I worry about is the OP and his partner might be willing to accept the commute when they are excited about their new job and their new house, and everything is good. But what about when there is a blizzard, you have the flu, the LIRR is on strike or is having switching problems, the twins are sick and home from school, and your boss is still demanding that you be on time to work and that you aren't working enough overtime? Maybe an extreme example, but things often all go wrong at the same time.
Nothing is perfect. Adults deal with change and adapt. Life goes on.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Nothing is perfect. Adults deal with change and adapt. Life goes on.
Yes, but the OP seems to have other options besides survival mode. But if the OP has very particular requirements about the type of area and the type of area, and isn't as interested in the amount of time he gets to spend there, then it makes sense, since, as I said, everybody defines quality of life differently. I just wanted the OP to be aware of the reality of the situation.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the OP seems to have other options besides survival mode. But if the OP has very particular requirements about the type of area and the type of area, and isn't as interested in the amount of time he gets to spend there, then it makes sense, since, as I said, everybody defines quality of life differently. I just wanted the OP to be aware of the reality of the situation.
That's not the reality of the situation, that's your reality. The OP is aware of commuting times.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
That's not the reality of the situation, that's your reality. The OP is aware of commuting times.
The OP was thinking that the commute time would be comparable to his current 45 minute commute. Other posters pointed out that the commute would be more than double. I then pointed out the reality that things can and will go wrong, often at the same time, although I did give a rather extreme (but not unrealistic) example.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The OP was thinking that the commute time would be comparable to his current 45 minute commute. Other posters pointed out that the commute would be more than double. I then pointed out the reality that things can and will go wrong, often at the same time, although I did give a rather extreme (but not unrealistic) example.
What you did is what you always do - exaggerate occasional commuting problems. We get it, you never want to commute more than ten or fifteen minutes but that's no reason to constantly throw up worst case scenarios as if they occur daily.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:04 PM

731 posts, read 725,281 times
Quote:
What you did is what you always do - exaggerate occasional commuting problems. We get it, you never want to commute more than ten or fifteen minutes but that's no reason to constantly throw up worst case scenarios as if they occur daily.
Occasional is becoming the norm lately with the LIRR.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:17 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,691 times
OP seems very set on his wants and is obviously wealthy with a budget of 1M. At this point he has the information 10 times over.

Babylon = actual village with walkable downtown and plenty to do
Dix Hills = mcmansions with large lots, but absolutely nothing to do

I've never seen the draw to Dix Hills either, nor do I understand why he's so hell bent on those 2 towns with a 1 million dollar budget.

I vote Northport.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:34 PM

21 posts, read 23,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
OP seems very set on his wants and is obviously wealthy with a budget of 1M. At this point he has the information 10 times over.

Babylon = actual village with walkable downtown and plenty to do
Dix Hills = mcmansions with large lots, but absolutely nothing to do

I've never seen the draw to Dix Hills either, nor do I understand why he's so hell bent on those 2 towns with a 1 million dollar budget.

I vote Northport.
For our 1M+ budget, its looking like we will get the most house in these two areas closest to the city. My partner liked the northern central area of Long Island, however areas closer to the city vs Dix Hills, were a lot more expensive. (i.e. Woodbury or an area we saw called East Hills?). I like living in a village and near water. We both need walkability and a downtown area. SW Nassau neither SE nassau have that? Except some areas apparently in the 5 towns, and the taxes there look very high. (ALOT MORE!) for the same sized house in Babylon Village. I RESPECT the North Shore a lot! But I grew up in an area like the North Shore in NJ. Very Hilly/Wooded, and at times having to drive many places. I want something new for my children. I think Babylon Village might be it, We plan to do some hanging out there next month!

Last edited by BWilli1892; 05-18-2017 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 05-18-2017, 04:01 PM

245 posts, read 319,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilli1892 View Post
For our 1M+ budget, its looking like we will get the most house in these two areas closest to the city. My partner liked the northern central area of Long Island, however areas closer to the city vs Dix Hills, were a lot more expensive. (i.e. Woodbury or an area we saw called East Hills?). I like living in a village and near water. We both need walkability and a downtown area. SW Nassau neither SE nassau have that? Except some areas apparently in the 5 towns, and the taxes there look very high. (ALOT MORE!) for the same sized house in Babylon Village. I RESPECT the North Shore a lot! But I grew up in an area like the North Shore in NJ. Very Hilly/Wooded, and at times having to drive many places. I want something new for my children. I think Babylon Village might be it, We plan to do some hanging out there next month!
Woodbury is very expensive. I'm going to say it again as others have - you owe it to yourself to talk a walk through northport village. It sounds exactly what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island