Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 08:04 AM

21 posts, read 23,812 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone, recently my partner has landed a job in NYC and it looks like we are relocating back to NY. It is now time for us to look for a house as we have outgrown our Miami Beach apartment as it is. It looks like we can get the most bang for our buck in either Dix Hills or Babylon Village. Currently we have no set budget (1Mil+) and my partner will be working in the city and I will be working remotely from home until our twins are school age. We are an interracial same sex couple looking for a nice place to raise our interracial children. We both like the set up of Dix Hills and Babylon Village. He prefers the north shore feel of Dix Hills and I love being near the water, but we are flexible with both towns. How are these two communities? Will we be around other white collar professionals? Which School's perform better? Where will our children be accepted better? We understand same-sex couples aren't the most popular on LI but we feel these two communities would be "tolerant" of us. Could someone please give us some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 08:09 AM

731 posts, read 725,077 times
For the most part Long Islanders don't care who live next to them as long as they're quiet, don't have yapping mutts and keep the yard nice. My personal choice would be Village of Babylon area because there are some beautiful old homes. Dix Hills is nice but there's much more traffic and train station is not exactly that close. Both HHH and Babylon are decent to very good school districts.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:22 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Both very nice areas, I would pick Babylon Village.....can't really give a reason other than we almost bought there 20 years ago.

I don't think they are that similar.

Beware of Superstorm Sandy damaged homes in Babylon and high water table/clay soil areas of Dix Hills.

I think most areas of LI are tolerant of almost everything except inconsiderate neighbors.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:29 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
There's a nice neighborhood near Babylon called Brightwaters that might interest you.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:14 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilli1892 View Post
Hello Everyone, recently my partner has landed a job in NYC and it looks like we are relocating back to NY. It is now time for us to look for a house as we have outgrown our Miami Beach apartment as it is. It looks like we can get the most bang for our buck in either Dix Hills or Babylon Village. Currently we have no set budget (1Mil+) and my partner will be working in the city and I will be working remotely from home until our twins are school age. We are an interracial same sex couple looking for a nice place to raise our interracial children. We both like the set up of Dix Hills and Babylon Village. He prefers the north shore feel of Dix Hills and I love being near the water, but we are flexible with both towns. How are these two communities? Will we be around other white collar professionals? Which School's perform better? Where will our children be accepted better? We understand same-sex couples aren't the most popular on LI but we feel these two communities would be "tolerant" of us. Could someone please give us some insight.
Dix Hills and Babylon Village are both great places but they are completely different areas that offer different things.

Most of Dix Hills is a wealthy area with large homes on huge plots. It's served by the Half Hollow Hills school district, which is one of Long Island's TOP school systems. HHH performs better than Babylon and is much more racially diverse than Babylon. There is no LIRR stop, you would have to drive to either the Wyandanch, Huntington Station or Farmingdale train stop and pay to park. There is also not much shopping, restaurants or local conveniences in Dix Hills (unless your close to Commack Rd).

Babylon Village offers walkability, an LIRR stop, parks and lots of restaurants. Babylon Schools are great but not comparable to HHH. Babylon is also a much smaller school system than HHH; which gives it a more close kit and small town feel. Babylon near the water has homes in your price range but you will need flood insurance but this may not matter much to you since you're at a higher price point. Babylon is definitely much better for commuters since the Babylon LIRR branch is considered more reliable than the branches that serve the Dix Hills area.

From both stops, it takes a little over an hour to get to the city.

I don't think anybody would bother you in either area. I think you would feel a bit more at home in Dix Hills since it is more diverse than Babylon and your kids would be around kids of many different backgrounds. You guys seem pretty wealthy and Dix Hills is mostly made up of affluent people. Babylon has a lot of affluent people too but most people there are your average middle class.

If your heart is truly set on Western Suffolk then I would highly recommend Huntington Village. I feel like it combines the best elements of Dix Hills and Babylon Village. However, the schools are not quite considered as good as HHH or Babylon SD (unless you're in the Cold Spring Harbor school system).

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 05-12-2017 at 11:08 AM..

Old 05-12-2017, 12:12 PM

21 posts, read 23,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Dix Hills and Babylon Village are both great places but they are completely different areas that offer different things.

Most of Dix Hills is a wealthy area with large homes on huge plots. It's served by the Half Hollow Hills school district, which is one of Long Island's TOP school systems. HHH performs better than Babylon and is much more racially diverse than Babylon. There is no LIRR stop, you would have to drive to either the Wyandanch, Huntington Station or Farmingdale train stop and pay to park. There is also not much shopping, restaurants or local conveniences in Dix Hills (unless your close to Commack Rd).

Babylon Village offers walkability, an LIRR stop, parks and lots of restaurants. Babylon Schools are great but not comparable to HHH. Babylon is also a much smaller school system than HHH; which gives it a more close kit and small town feel. Babylon near the water has homes in your price range but you will need flood insurance but this may not matter much to you since you're at a higher price point. Babylon is definitely much better for commuters since the Babylon LIRR branch is considered more reliable than the branches that serve the Dix Hills area.

From both stops, it takes a little over an hour to get to the city.

I don't think anybody would bother you in either area. I think you would feel a bit more at home in Dix Hills since it is more diverse than Babylon and your kids would be around kids of many different backgrounds. You guys seem pretty wealthy and Dix Hills is mostly made up of affluent people. Babylon has a lot of affluent people too but most people there are your average middle class.

If your heart is truly set on Western Suffolk then I would highly recommend Huntington Village. I feel like it combines the best elements of Dix Hills and Babylon Village. However, the schools are not quite considered as good as HHH or Babylon SD (unless you're in the Cold Spring Harbor school system).
Pertaining to the comment " Babylon has a lot of affluent people too but most people there are your average middle class". Is this middle class in Babylon more of the "Educated" type or more of the "working class"?

Old 05-12-2017, 12:25 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
Quote:
Pertaining to the comment " Babylon has a lot of affluent people too but most people there are your average middle class". Is this middle class in Babylon more of the "Educated" type or more of the "working class"?
Probably an even combination of white-collar middle class (aka 'educated types') and blue-collar middle class (sometimes called "working class")... as a rough guestimate.

When I think of "working class", I think of people who fall between middle class and poor (regardless of if they're white or blue collar). Are you using the same definition? If so then both types can be found in Babylon. And some blue collar workers make great money that could place them comfortably into the middle class; especially Union jobs.

(I grew up in Babylon.)

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 05-12-2017 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 12:26 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
it's a mix. Lots of folks who commute via LIRR to Manhattan every day and a decent amount of professionals (attorneys, doctors), teachers, tradesmen, FDNY, NYPD, etc.

As for the particulars relating to your family, by and large you will find most areas to be inclusive of all family types. However, it's not impossible that your next door neighbor might be a bigot. But that would be the case anywhere. Its' really luck of the draw.

Given the realities of commuting to NYC via LIRR from Suffolk County (it's no picnic), is there a reason you're not looking in Nassau County?

Old 05-12-2017, 12:29 PM

245 posts, read 319,892 times
Babylon has a better commute, but Dix Hills is IMO superior.

All that said, with your budget and commute to NYC, why either of those areas? I'd look a little closer to NYC. You'll get less bang for your buck, but you'll still get plenty.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:43 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
I think they are both fine. It's a pretty long commute from there though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island