Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 03:47 PM

13,069 posts, read 18,269,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Off tangent question. I live in East Hills but work on LI so I don't take the LIRR .
But I'm curious, if I want to go to the city from Roslyn station, the switch to Penn station occurs at Mineola?
I always assumed the switch was at Atlantic terminal.
No there are three options, direct through to Penn, a switch at Mineola or a switch at Jamaica. It depends upon which train where you will have to switch if at all. Atlantic terminal is Brooklyn, not Penn Station.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 05:04 PM

8,738 posts, read 11,155,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Off tangent question. I live in East Hills but work on LI so I don't take the LIRR .
But I'm curious, if I want to go to the city from Roslyn station, the switch to Penn station occurs at Mineola?
I always assumed the switch was at Atlantic terminal.
Switch is usually at Jamaica. Many of the OB trains go to Hunter's point. Some commuters hop off at Hunterpoint and hop on the 7 train to East Side of Manhattan. East bound, there is only one train that goes directly from Penn to OB I think.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:58 AM

131 posts, read 334,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislanddude View Post
Hello!

My wife and I are looking to move to long island as we start planning on growing our family. I work in Midtown Manhattan and will have to commute to the city on a daily basis. I get into work fairly early (~7:30), but this could change at some point in my career (either earlier or later).

I want to get a sense of what the commute is like for those of you who are in a similar situation from the following areas: Roslyn Heights, East Hills, Manhasset, Port Washington, Great Neck and nearby areas.

I feel like the big concern with the LIRR for many commuters is the parking situation (lack of) at the LIRR stations.

Here is my understanding of the different LIRR stations. I would appreciate if you could add your 2 cents to any one you have experience with:

Port Washington / Manhasset / Great neck: trains are frequent and the commute is short, but parking is a problem in both stations. Some brokers have said that if I get to the station at 630, then i shouldn't have any problems. Is this true? Can anyone park here (e.g. if I live in another town, can I drive to PW or Manhasset and park/take the train from there or can only residents park here with a permit?).

Roslyn Heights/East hills : There is a line that takes you to Mineola after which a transfer is required to go into the city. I have seen some houses in the area which are about a 5-7 minute drive from the Mineola station. The good thing about this station is they have a big parking lot. From what I've been told, the lot gets full around 8 so I should be fine at the time that I go in. Trains are also frequent and from google maps it tells me that it will take about 55 minutes from the time i get my train to the time i am at my desk, so I figure about 1:10 total commute each way. Does anyone have any comments on this commute? I heard the trains can be delayed, but since there are several lines that meet up here I can hop on any one to go to the city.

Thanks for your input!

Garden City might be a good fit for you. You can buy a home in the Western or Estates section and walk to the Main Line which is only 5 mins longer of a commute than the Port Washington line. You won't have to worry about parking. You also have the option of walking to the Hempstead line which is a longer commute but much less crowded. You also can take trains directly into Brooklyn instead of Penn which might be faster for you if you work downtown. A garden city LIRR parking sticker also give you access to park in all 4-5 Garden City LIRR station lots.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:44 PM

487 posts, read 547,893 times
I am not familiar with the parking situation at the train station in Port Washington, however, the community has a large influx of young couples relocating their young families or thinking of starting a family. The commute is very convenient into Manhattan, certainly to
Bayside where your wife works. There are a lot of different areas within Port Washington, some nicer than others and a very desirable/high achieving school district. It is a more down to earth community. Good luck in finding the community that best suits your family.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:02 AM

113 posts, read 246,911 times
I live in Great Neck and have been commuting on the PW line for 7 years. It's the fastest most direct way into the city. And minutes to Bayside. That being said Great Neck is changing and we are looking to get out. Maybe to roslyn maybe out east (not sure). As for parking you get a sticker from the town you are in. In roslyn you can get a PW train sticker if you live in the flower hill section. However there are always taxis at the station-many people just do that instead of dealing with parking. You can call a taxi or an Uber in the morning and hop in a cab at the station at night. All that being said if you get to the station at 6:30 am you will find a spot.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,911,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLawyerMama View Post
That being said Great Neck is changing and we are looking to get out.
In what (negative?) way has Great Neck been changing?

Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 AM

113 posts, read 246,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
In what (negative?) way has Great Neck been changing?
Private message me and I will tell you. It's not necessarily negative, just not the place for us anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island