Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 29,443 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone knows what the law is on parking a commercial vehicle in a residential driveway. It is summer once again and the summer camp buses are popping up in several driveways in my neighborhood. I'm guessing the property owners are working for these summer camps, picking up, and returning children at the end of the day. When their day is finished, they park the buses in their driveways. The buses are there all weekend, without moving. I live in a very pretty neighborhood, especially in the summer, with everything in bloom and a tree lined streets. So you can imagine what an eyesore these shiny yellow buses are. I sit on my porch and these buses look so darn ugly. I am paying almost $15,000 in taxes, and I can't imagine that these buses are legally allowed to be parked in a residential area-- but, I could be wrong. Does anyone know what the law is on this matter? I live in Nasau County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:16 PM

487 posts, read 544,944 times
You need to check with your town or incorporated village. Regulations vary throughout the county.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:20 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
My sister used to drive a pres-school bus and park it her driveway until the neighbors signed a petition and she had to stop. I agree that it's an eyesore.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyheart View Post
Wondering if anyone knows what the law is on parking a commercial vehicle in a residential driveway. It is summer once again and the summer camp buses are popping up in several driveways in my neighborhood. I'm guessing the property owners are working for these summer camps, picking up, and returning children at the end of the day. When their day is finished, they park the buses in their driveways. The buses are there all weekend, without moving. I live in a very pretty neighborhood, especially in the summer, with everything in bloom and a tree lined streets. So you can imagine what an eyesore these shiny yellow buses are. I sit on my porch and these buses look so darn ugly. I am paying almost $15,000 in taxes, and I can't imagine that these buses are legally allowed to be parked in a residential area-- but, I could be wrong. Does anyone know what the law is on this matter? I live in Nasau County.
Most likely depends on where in the county you live. In TOH, it is illegal to park them on the street overnight.

I drive a commercial vehicle (work van), and park in my driveway beside my house.
I've looked at town and village ordinances, and never found anything saying it was a violation.

Last edited by JB from NC; 06-30-2017 at 03:30 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 04:42 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
mind your own business.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:44 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
mind your own business.
In Nassau County?

It'll never happen.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:27 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Most likely depends on where in the county you live. In TOH, it is illegal to park them on the street overnight.

I drive a commercial vehicle (work van), and park in my driveway beside my house.
I've looked at town and village ordinances, and never found anything saying it was a violation.
I have a recollection that last year right here on CD, there was a thread about a plane parked on a driveway someplace on the south shore. I have to assume that there is little that can be done about a commercial vehicle if a plane can pass.

Anyone else remember that thread?

Old 06-30-2017, 06:17 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
I think it has to be off the road overnight but can be on private property.

towns and villages may be more restrictive.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:18 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times
Wah

Old 06-30-2017, 08:28 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Depends on the jurisdiction. If you're in a village I guarantee there's a restriction on it. If not, they probably can park it anywhere off the road. An HOA will also have similar restrictions.

My friend lives in a really nice neighborhood too (on LI) and her neighbor does the same thing. It does look crappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island