Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 03:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times

Advertisements

Filled up today for $2.59 COD with automatic delivery.
$225 for annual contract & cleaning.

Some of these “Lock In” prices are ridiculous! Never locked in yet. Dollar cost average here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 05:24 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,689 times
I can still get 2.69 with slomins. Contract is like $159. Do I jump ship from Petro? I have new equipment so I doubt I’ll need many service calls. Maybe I can also get slomins to waive the service contract fee.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:50 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Filled up today for $2.59 COD with automatic delivery.
How do you get "automatic" (meaning scheduled, I assume) delivery with a C.O.D. situation? I thought the entire premise of C.O.D. is that deliveries are done purely at a homeowner's request. Even when we were using a C.O.D. company regularly (EconoFuel) it was never automatic; I had to call each time.

I'm confused. I thought it was either/or (either contract/automatic delivery, or C.O.D. on order/request only)

Old 11-19-2018, 09:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I tried calling these guys at the Riverhead office and got a voicemail 2x. It is a legit consent right?

Quote:
United Metro.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
How do you get "automatic" (meaning scheduled, I assume) delivery with a C.O.D. situation? I thought the entire premise of C.O.D. is that deliveries are done purely at a homeowner's request. Even when we were using a C.O.D. company regularly (EconoFuel) it was never automatic; I had to call each time.

I'm confused. I thought it was either/or (either contract/automatic delivery, or C.O.D. on order/request only)
They (United Metro Fuel) calls me 1-2 days before they come. “Automatic Delivery “. I NEVER called them yet.
I leave a blank check outside. NO, I never got ripped off. I can also pay by credit card for a 3% fee. EVERY delivery so for (Years) been about 150 +/- gals. I have 275 Gal tank. Maximum delivery I think I EVER received was 200 gallons.
Again, I have a service contractor for $225. In 14 years I called them twice at 2-3 AM and they showed up within an hour.
I finally had them replace my oil burner about 7 years ago.
Again I like to “Dollar Cost Average “. Some months I’ll pay 2.79, 2.49, 2.39, 2,69, ect..
Giving me an overall average of $2.59 per gallon. WITHOUT locking in for $2.79 +/- like I’ve been reading on here.

Been using this company since I moved in 14 years ago. Almost all my neighbors as well.

Last edited by Spanky25; 11-20-2018 at 06:19 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I tried calling these guys at the Riverhead office and got a voicemail 2x. It is a legit consent right?
They are located in Calverton. I believe they also have a facility in Queens.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:13 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
They (United Metro Fuel) calls me 1-2 days before they come. “Automatic Delivery “. I NEVER called them yet. I leave a blank check outside.
Ah, okay, I see. When you said COD I thought you meant utilizing CODfuel.com or simply doing it with one company (like we did with Econofuel) on a per-request basis. So you have the same setup we had with them except that they have you on a schedule whereas we had to call.

So is your current pricing based on having a service contract with them? If you didn't have the contract as well, would you be paying more per gallon?

@ave124, you are getting the same price from Slomins now ($2.699) that I got from them in mid-September as a new customer. We do not have a service contract with them because our equipment is brand new this spring and we are covered for the first couple years of service by the installing company.

I'm surprised that they have held the line in the price; I'd have expected it to go up, at least a little, as the heating season progresses.

That said, we have not needed a delivery from them yet. Our last company (Meenan) filled the tank a few days before our contract with them expired. I'm guessing maybe Slomins will show up in the next couple of weeks. I saw one of their trucks pass by the nearby corner just yesterday, in fact.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 AM

107 posts, read 234,891 times
So what Company is everyone, who's using COD, using for maintenance contract? I got some fliers in the mail for Apple Air and HomeServe. I heard HomeServe wasn't bad but Apple Air I've haven't heard the best reviews for...

Old 11-20-2018, 09:38 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
They (United Metro Fuel) calls me 1-2 days before they come. “Automatic Delivery “. I NEVER called them yet.
I leave a blank check outside. NO, I never got ripped off. I can also pay by credit card for a 3% fee. EVERY delivery so for (Years) been about 150 +/- gals. I have 275 Gal tank. Maximum delivery I think I EVER received was 200 gallons.
Again, I have a service contractor for $225. In 14 years I called them twice at 2-3 AM and they showed up within an hour.
I finally had them replace my oil burner about 7 years ago.
Again I like to “Dollar Cost Average “. Some months I’ll pay 2.79, 2.49, 2.39, 2,69, ect..
Giving me an overall average of $2.59 per gallon. WITHOUT locking in for $2.79 +/- like I’ve been reading on here.

Been using this company since I moved in 14 years ago. Almost all my neighbors as well.
I agree with your method 100% and love the due diligence, but it also shows how different situations call for different solutions. I am locked w/ Petro (after the yearly texas death match haggling session) at $2.99. The best 3rd party service contract I could get (G. Hafler, local and highly reputable) that comes close to Petro's is $375 (30+ yr old system, 3 wacky zones). I LOVE Petro's service. They show up in an hour and fix it so it stays fixed and the cleaning usually gets me through a year service-free (except for a zone valve motor or expansion tank issue here and there). If I factor the .40 gallon (your $2.59 vs my $2.99) x approx 750 gals per year, I lose $300 on oil. Petro's service agreement approx $109 ($129 less a $20 credit, part of the haggle). All in all, I'm looking at a $34 negative for the year vs COD, but I get soup to nuts service I like, auto refill w/ no monitoring on my part, and net 30 terms. Not for everyone, but just saying, everyone needs to assess their own situation like we do and fight for the best deal for them. Price per gallon is just one piece of the puzzle.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:02 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
It is my understanding that, at least in eastern Long Island, Petro is severely understaffed and had major problems last week with the brief snow and rain storm even just answering the volume of calls coming in when many people turned up their heat for the first time of the season and had breakdowns. Some were told it would take three days to have their problem checked. Petro has acquired a number of smaller companies in the area and is attempting to close offices and shrink staff to the extent that people are leaving positions they worked at for years. Those leaving include office staff, delivery drivers and service people.

Star Gas is the parent company of Petro and is behind these changes but is relying on Petro management to run the business but it appears they are not doing very well so far. We'll see what happens if we get a cold snap like we had last year and heating systems really start to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island