Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 11:16 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

After the threat of hurricane Gloria in the 80's Virginia got smart and altered I64 the one interstate in/out for the entire Hampton Roads region to allow all the lanes to become west bound only to the beltway around Richmond. They did it by installing automatic gates on the on ramps and creating some cross over locations to disperse the volume of traffic over all the interstate lanes. That type of traffic management can do far more than another crossing over open water, I was amazed that Florida didn't do something similar to expedite their residents getting away from the coast.
Florida is full of NYers

There's never been a plan to evacuate the Island in its entirety and that would never be needed. Most hurricanes impact one part of the Island, which is one reason people wait till it's too late to evacuate "it's going to make landfall over Long Beach....no, wait...Massapequa, oops, West Islip, not it's going out to sea, no whoops! It's heading straight for Lindenhurst"

No one who lives in Plainview, Bethpage, Ronkonkoma, Garden City, Farmingdale or any other mid-island town is ever going to consider evacuating for a hurricane, and the idea that a bridge or tunnel needs to exist for that reason is patently ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 02:03 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
If there were ever a need to evacuate the entire island, uh, it would be some biblical level stuff so it would be moot anyway. Better off to just die in peace in the comfort of your own home
In that scenario the alternatives would probably be worse than death..

Old 04-27-2018, 02:24 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Florida is full of NYers

There's never been a plan to evacuate the Island in its entirety and that would never be needed. Most hurricanes impact one part of the Island, which is one reason people wait till it's too late to evacuate "it's going to make landfall over Long Beach....no, wait...Massapequa, oops, West Islip, not it's going out to sea, no whoops! It's heading straight for Lindenhurst"

No one who lives in Plainview, Bethpage, Ronkonkoma, Garden City, Farmingdale or any other mid-island town is ever going to consider evacuating for a hurricane, and the idea that a bridge or tunnel needs to exist for that reason is patently ridiculous.
I'm not arguing, I think the justification of Island Evacuation for this boondoggle makes no sense, switchable interstate lanes are cheaper to install if there was truly a need. We all know how those pesky weather events can never pick & stay on one track...

Old 04-28-2018, 08:06 AM

430 posts, read 557,489 times
https://www.lohud.com/story/news/loc...ers/558943002/

It looks like the plan is taking a step forward... heavy nimby opposition to follow.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:30 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
“The current tunnel proposal is expected to cost as much as $50 billion and take 20 years to construct. “

Double that and maybe.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:02 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
If I need to go to CT I take the ferry.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:09 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“The current tunnel proposal is expected to cost as much as $50 billion and take 20 years to construct. “

Double that and maybe.
the Hvalfjorour Tunnel was completed in two years in Iceland (1996 to 1998) at a cost of $70 million. About 3.5 miles long, current toll is about $10 USD.

Of course this planned tunnel is much longer, but it amazes me that a small country of 300,000 people in the middle of the ocean accomplished this feat twenty years ago so quickly and at such low cost.
I'm wondering why that cannot happen here on LI (sarcasm mode: on).

Old 04-28-2018, 05:50 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Given the phrasing of the following quote I am guessing the latest plan for one of the tunnel proposals is for it to essentially begin right where 135 currently ends in South Syosset and to emerge in Rye/Port Chester:

"An 18-mile tunnel from Rye or Port Chester in Westchester to Syosset on Long Island would cost an estimated $31.5 to $55.4 billion, the study found."

I recall that the opposition to the bridge many years ago was spearheaded by folks in Mill Neck on environmental grounds as the old plan was to extend 135 up through Oyster Bay and then along Shore Road to Bayville. A tunnel might forestall much of that sort of opposition. And tunnel technology is apparently quite advanced.

Of course it is rail only but the Chunnel is 31.5 miles long. 23.5 miles (37.9 km) of the Chunnel is under the English Channel, making it the world's longest undersea tunnel.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
the Hvalfjorour Tunnel was completed in two years in Iceland (1996 to 1998) at a cost of $70 million. About 3.5 miles long, current toll is about $10 USD.

Of course this planned tunnel is much longer, but it amazes me that a small country of 300,000 people in the middle of the ocean accomplished this feat twenty years ago so quickly and at such low cost.
I'm wondering why that cannot happen here on LI (sarcasm mode: on).
I do believe this is one of those rare occasions in which we may use 'in' Long Island lol

Old 04-29-2018, 07:35 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
There is no way in hell I would feel safe in a 20 or 30 mile long hamster tube at the bottom of the sound and filled with tri-state drivers.
For a number of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island