Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 05:53 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times

Advertisements

If people don't like their commute they should quit their job or move.
End of story. Stop being so selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
This idea is so OLD it may live forever, and I hope it does.
As one who grew up and lived almost my whole life on LI, I've gotten used to it's resurrection every twenty years, like the repetitious childhood 'brainstorm' to change the national anthem.
Both get more foolish as I mature and age.

Why?
Because if this thing was worth doing, it would and should have been done in the prime of our economic youth, not now, when so much of our wealth is in FIRE and can evaporate in a swift and terrible downturn which puts so many construction projects in the crapper, many forever.

And the cost! $100 BILLION DOLLARS figuring in the standard cost overruns due to graft, delays, foot-dragging and unforeseen engineering and ?? obstacles. And that is the rosy scenario!

Now overcome powerful local resistance, likely at both ends.

Snowball, meet Hell.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 05-23-2018 at 11:04 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 09:51 AM

49 posts, read 40,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Can anyone provide a link where CD posters in Connecticut, Westchester or any upstate location are bemoaning the challenge of getting to LI and wish the connection would be built?
No, because only Long Island simpletons believe that CityData is a good source of comparative data. Clearly a product of the phenomenal education system.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
This idea is so OLD it may live forever, and I hope it does.
As one who grew up and lived almost my whole life on LI, I've gotten used to it's resurrection every twenty years, like the repetitious childhood 'brainstorm' to change the national anthem.
Both get more foolish as I mature and age.

Why?
Because if this thing was worth doing, it would and should have been done in the prime of our economic youth, not now, when so much of our wealth is in FIRE and can evaporate in a swift and terrible downturn which puts so many construction projects in the crapper, many forever.

And the cost! $100 BILLION DOLLARS figuring in the standard cost overruns due to graft, delays, foot-dragging and unforeseen engineering and ?? obstacles. And that is the rosy scenario!

Now overcome powerful local resistance, likely at both ends.

Snowball, meet Hell.
Welcome to the real world.

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin?

LI's been doing the latter for decades.

Therein lies the point.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:55 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
People are against the tunnel because they don't like the ventilation shafts. Unbelievable. The tunnel will go way under their communities, and I'm sure they'll find a good place for these shafts.

Locals will properly get a huge property value boost due to the proximity to the mainland. Probably around the tunnel you'll see restaurants, hotel and gas station opportunities.

But... those ventilation shafts!!!

Yes that boosts home values - busy highways, gas stations, hotels next door and ventilation shafts. You sure got a solid grasp on house pricing dynamics.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Yes that boosts home values - busy highways, gas stations, hotels next door and ventilation shafts. You sure got a solid grasp on house pricing dynamics.
Agreed...Crumbling infrastructure is the way to go...

You musta went to Jericho...

Oy vey.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Wow, can't believe some responses !!
Looks like the latest fissure just opened on hawaii and is spewing out hot sarcasm left-right-center !!

Now we can say... only on LI....

My 0.02...
Eastern LI is not a business center.... I do not think anyone is trying to get there everyday from outside LI (except the unlucky few). People who want to... are already living on Long Island. Period.
However, if you do a job search from eastern LI and put a 40 mile radius, you get nassau, nyc and CT. I'm almost convinced that no one else but people on LI who are sick of traffic gives a (you know what) if a bridge/tunnel is built spanning the sound.
Also, bridge/tunnel as a evacuation route as someone pointed out is just downright ridiculous. If something that drastic did happen.... It would almost be like the Titanic - ladies and kids first.... let the music play.....

Truth be told (maybe we are getting it now after all these years) - there was no shuttle between ISP airport and Ronkonkoma stn... there was just a 5 inch perimeter fence separating the two, the road is already there. I know people are going to say, but its everywhere else you go... but things like Airtrain just makes it easy and it exudes a different confidence and attracts business. LI is just too difficult/rigid if you ask me.... I know its a great place to live and not everyone is complaining, but....

The bridge/tunnel might be good for LIers... another good option for going up north without hitting NYC. Traffic from the other side are mostly going to be people checking out the waze app and trying to go around I-95. Any guess on what the toll will be like ? $25 cash and $24.95 with EZ pass ?

Old 05-24-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Wow, can't believe some responses !!
Looks like the latest fissure just opened on hawaii and is spewing out hot sarcasm left-right-center !!

Now we can say... only on LI....

The bridge/tunnel might be good for LIers... another good option for going up north without hitting NYC. Traffic from the other side are mostly going to be people checking out the waze app and trying to go around I-95. Any guess on what the toll will be like ? $25 cash and $24.95 with EZ pass ?
Cheaper and easier than the ferry.

It's do-able.

It's practical.

More people will use it than you think. No one in CT currently looks for a job on LI...only the other way around. But don't think for a minute that won't change if this ever goes through.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:45 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
How about forgetting the LI/CT idea and just make the tunnel from Queens to the Bronx or Westchester. Another option besides the Whitestone and Throgs Neck. Because there's simply too many NIMBYs standing in the way. I don't think any connection from LI to CT will ever manifest.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-24-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How about forgetting the LI/CT idea and just make the tunnel from Queens to the Bronx or Westchester. Another option besides the Whitestone and Throgs Neck. Because there's simply too many NIMBYs standing in the way. I don't think any connection from LI to CT will ever manifest.
It's not technically CT but Rye NY...a direct link to the Bx would defeat the purpose IMO...we already have the Whitestone and Throgs Neck just minutes from the Queens County Line. This is near the Nassau/Suffolk border...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island