Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,307 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I'm in the process of buying a property in the area Ronkonkoma. I found a property by Deer Rd. South on Motor Parkway 2 block away from North of the LIE. Any thoughts on that area? I drove around today and it looked like a decent neighborhood.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 12:06 AM

852 posts, read 969,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie718 View Post
Hey guys I'm in the process of buying a property in the area Ronkonkoma. I found a property by Deer Rd. South on Motor Parkway 2 block away from North of the LIE. Any thoughts on that area? I drove around today and it looked like a decent neighborhood.
Thanks
That's informally known as Lake Hills. It's kind of lower class. Lots of noise/activity in the streets on nights and weekends. Other than that though, not too bad. Personally though, I'd avoid that neighborhood and it's sister neighborhood on the other side of the eggspressway. I used to know a girl who lived on Deer, and several people in the immediate neighborhood. My take away was that there are a lot fo drunks in that nabe. But it's not crime-ridden or anything.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:46 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
That's informally known as Lake Hills. It's kind of lower class. Lots of noise/activity in the streets on nights and weekends. Other than that though, not too bad. Personally though, I'd avoid that neighborhood and it's sister neighborhood on the other side of the eggspressway. I used to know a girl who lived on Deer, and several people in the immediate neighborhood. My take away was that there are a lot fo drunks in that nabe. But it's not crime-ridden or anything.
Most if not all of Ronk is middle working class. Nothing special, but nothing horrible either. I've spent a lot of time in the area and never seen anything extreme. I wouldn't scare anyone away from buying in the area. Very centrally located and convenient to LIE/airport/train. If you're used to normal middle class with pockets of trashiness, it won't bother you at all. Ronk is fine.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Most if not all of Ronk is middle working class. Nothing special, but nothing horrible either. I've spent a lot of time in the area and never seen anything extreme. I wouldn't scare anyone away from buying in the area. Very centrally located and convenient to LIE/airport/train. If you're used to normal middle class with pockets of trashiness, it won't bother you at all. Ronk is fine.
Nothing wrong with blue-collar, indeed- which is most of Ronkonkoma, but Lake Hills always seemed to me to be the very bottom rung of lower working class- although it can vary from block to block. I can't understand why there are so many drunks in that neighborhood though. On some of the blocks there, the houses are really close together, and you get kind of a "Queensish" vibe. On the positive side though, it seems to be a stable neighborhood- it's pretty much the same today as it was near 40 years ago. It's just that as a former long-time resident of Ronkonkoma (and quite blue-collar myself) I've always felt that for the same price that a house in Lake Hills costs, you can get a house in a part of Ronk. which feels a little more suburban, as opposed to the crowded grid which is Lake Hills. But that's just my take on it. It's not lke it's Wyandanch or anything.... (Ironically, my best friend grew up in and lived most of his life in Lake Hills...and his parents still live there.) And there is actually a nice little pocket just west of Breeze rd[Ave.?] where it is quite nice.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,307 times
Thanks you guys for your input!!
I will be driving around to see how close the houses are.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:37 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
"Middle class" & "blue collar" are code words for "white trash" and that's racist.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
"Middle class" & "blue collar" are code words for "white trash" and that's racist.
You humans are funny! (I "identify" as a Martian this month. Talk about racism!- People are always pulling down their trousers in front of me and asking if I want to "probe" them- 'specially in Cherry Grove and Greenwich Village!)

Old 08-22-2016, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 7,093 times
I am also looking at a property on The Vale in Ronkonkoma. Is this a decent area in Ronkonkoma? I was told to stay away from the LIRR.

THanks

Old 08-23-2016, 11:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neneloco222 View Post
I am also looking at a property on The Vale in Ronkonkoma. Is this a decent area in Ronkonkoma? I was told to stay away from the LIRR.

THanks
I have an old school friend who lives a block or so from The Vale. He had his car broken into once, other than that, no trouble. He is happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island