Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:26 PM

39 posts, read 145,143 times

Advertisements

Hello, I know the story is so old, and ppl from amityville are so sick of the story, but I've always been very interested in the story and have heard so many times it's not true, although I know the movie and book was so twisted around the truth, something really did happen with the Lutzes, I do believe that much. Any thoughts at all will be appreciated. Just interested, that's all, just for fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 02:52 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
I remember Joel Martin breaking the murders at the house. A friend and I went by the house after reading the book before it was released. Talked with some neighbors in the area and nobody at that time knew of anything strange outside of the murders. After the book hit the shelf it was a bit crazy there.
I think it was all a hoax.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM

245 posts, read 298,585 times
Default Studies

I know that studies were conducted. One study looked at the heating bill for the house for the period of time in question, and found - despite claims of mysterious cold drafts - no more heating used that during other periods.

I think it is BS

Old 03-30-2008, 08:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
It had to have been a hoax. My belief is that the Lutz family deliberately capitalized on the horrible DeFeo murder when they made up their story. Without the DeFeo murder, there would be no basis for their tale.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM

244 posts, read 669,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I know that studies were conducted. One study looked at the heating bill for the house for the period of time in question, and found - despite claims of mysterious cold drafts - no more heating used that during other periods.

I think it is BS

C'mon don't you think ghosts know how to turn off the boiler? Alot of people say it's all BS but ask em if they'd go in the house and they all say the same thing - Heck no!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 AM

438 posts, read 832,034 times
I was born and raised in Amityville and remember the whole "Horror" although I was just a kid. To make a long story short-it is all phony except the actual murders. The house was never haunted. It attracted so much attention that the village police had to block off the street at Halloween which hurt our trick or treating as we used to get alot of candy on that street! My uncle, a cop, was assigned to watch the house on several occasions and he said you could hear a pin drop in the house. He scoffed at the notion of it being haunted.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 AM

244 posts, read 669,194 times
Ever since I started reading this thread, I have started to feel prickley things on the back of my neck and I keep hearing people that aren't there whispering around me.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Zero evidence that its true...but the movies still scared me (especially the original)!!!

Now, if you want something really scary on Long Island check out the Mount Misery & Sweet Hollow Road ghost stories/ legends!!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Ever since I started reading this thread, I have started to feel prickley things on the back of my neck and I keep hearing people that aren't there whispering around me.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:00 PM

438 posts, read 832,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Zero evidence that its true...but the movies still scared me (especially the original)!!!

Now, if you want something really scary on Long Island check out the Mount Misery & Sweet Hollow Road ghost stories/ legends!!
Can you recommend any books? I know John Keel ("Mothman Prophecies") discusses this area in several of his books but I wonder if there are any other books on Mt. Misery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island