Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:20 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times

Advertisements

Billy could tell you it's a LI, New York state of mind.

I was born in Brooklyn and lived on LI most of my life. Lived in Manhattan for a couple of years and now 2,000 miles away in the southwest. Do the LI legitimacy police consider me a real LI'er? I still feel like one, and probably always will.

I like it fine in the SW, but faking at fitting in here in the desert. "In" Long Island still drives me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 07:38 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Billy could tell you it's a LI, New York state of mind.

I was born in Brooklyn and lived on LI most of my life. Lived in Manhattan for a couple of years and now 2,000 miles away in the southwest. Do the LI legitimacy police consider me a real LI'er? I still feel like one, and probably always will.

I like it fine in the SW, but faking at fitting in here in the desert. "In" Long Island still drives me nuts.
I want to choke slam anyone who says "in".
And it's not just the LI thing.
In general it drives me nuts.
Shows inadequate grasp of grammar and the English language.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:41 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The "in" versus "on" thing determines LI legitimacy.
Nothing more, nothing less.
If "in" pisses you off, you are a true Long Islander!

Old 09-02-2018, 08:20 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
"In" is a dead giveaway. I agree with you, but it's really nothing more than a strong pet peeve. Yes, grammatically we are correct that you can't live IN geography since LI is not an official municipal reference. But, as I have confirmed almost daily, people be dumb and there's nothing we can do about it.

It's mildly amusing to observe this debate... considering all the decades of hype about how great LI is, there is no easy answer to the prodigal son or daughter. How is it with the best schools of all time and the greatest location of all time, LI hasn't produced a US President or world class philanthropist?

Old 09-02-2018, 09:13 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I met Billy Joel once years ago at a diner in Greenport. Got his autograph. I was like 15 years old at the time. I also met Dee Snider. He's very cool and very nice. We were on the same ferry ride going to CT. Alex Baldwin is a putz, never liked him as an actor. I think Billy Joel is as much of Long Islander as anyone else. But seriously does it really matter?

Old 09-02-2018, 09:15 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood99 View Post
I am a big fan of Billy personally, and I also cover his songs. But I've never really thought of him as a Long Islander because up until I started studying him more I just knew he was born in The Bronx and nothing else. I know he grew up and has lived most of his life on LI and they insist he's LI's favorite son, but in my humble opinion, a favorite son should have been both born and raised in the area in question (like Frank Sinatra and Hoboken - a true favorite son). Not that I don't like Billy because I sure do, but for that reason I think Alec Baldwin is LI's true favorite son, not Billy, since Alec is a born AND bred product of LI.
Except Alec is an unfunny idiot.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:18 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Why? I live in Michigan sounds right. Why wouldn’t you live IN Long Island? One doesn’t live ON Rhode Island.if so, everyone lives on their location.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:07 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Why? I live in Michigan sounds right. Why wouldn’t you live IN Long Island? One doesn’t live ON Rhode Island.if so, everyone lives on their location.
This is classic flawed logic... Michigan and Rhode Island are STATES - they have accepted government recognized boundaries that you can live withIN.

"Long Island" does not meet this criteria and is a completely made up term describing a NYC suburb. You can live in Suffolk county and you can live in Garden City, but you can't live in Long Island because there is no official municipal boundary.

EDIT: To try and help, you are taxed out the arse on LI. You pay tax for the town you live in, you pay tax for the county you live in, you pay tax for the state you live in... You don't pay "Long Island" taxes because nobody lives IN LI. They live ON it.

Last edited by MikeyKid; 09-02-2018 at 11:15 AM..

Old 09-02-2018, 11:17 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
"In" is a dead giveaway. I agree with you, but it's really nothing more than a strong pet peeve. Yes, grammatically we are correct that you can't live IN geography since LI is not an official municipal reference. But, as I have confirmed almost daily, people be dumb and there's nothing we can do about it.

It's mildly amusing to observe this debate... considering all the decades of hype about how great LI is, there is no easy answer to the prodigal son or daughter. How is it with the best schools of all time and the greatest location of all time, LI hasn't produced a US President or world class philanthropist?

Teddy did summer here. Does that count?

I can think of a world class philanthropist who was raised in Great Neck and then became listed on Forbes. His name is listed on several hospital wings.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:32 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
[/b]

Teddy did summer here. Does that count?

I can think of a world class philanthropist who was raised in Great Neck and then became listed on Forbes. His name is listed on several hospital wings.
Charles Dolan?? Did not think he was a native of LI. Know he us now or is it someone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island