Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 09:23 AM

43 posts, read 72,614 times

Advertisements

4 Long Island Schools win Blue Ribbon one of which is South Side HS in RVC. https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.c...-ribbon-school we did house hunting in RVC before we chose GC. One thing that i found odd was that many of the homes we saw had kids in private schools through high school despite the fact that property/school taxes were 20k-30k+. it just seemed like a red flag or it was as if we were missing something. Are the schools that terrible? or is it the north side not wanting to mix with the kids from certain sections of town. anyway...this award proves otherwise..it’s good to see the public high school get recognition and as a point of reference Garden CITY HS and Herricks HS won the award last year.

Last edited by nyc555; 10-03-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc555 View Post
4 Long Island Schools win Blue Ribbon one of which is South Side HS in RVC. https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.c...-ribbon-school we did house hunting in RVC before we chose GC. One thing that i found odd was that many of the homes we saw had kids in private schools through high school despite the fact that property/school taxes were 20k-30k+. it just seemed like a red flag or it was as if we were missing something. Are the schools that terrible? or is it the north side not wanting to mix with the kids from certain sections of town. anyway...this award proves otherwise..it’s good to see the public high school get recognition and as a point of reference Garden CITY HS and Herricks HS won the award last year.
nothing odd about it. There's about 150 kids in Chaminade just from Garden City.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
nothing odd about it. There's about 150 kids in Chaminade just from Garden City.
ehh.... while i don’t dispute that there are HS boys in GC that go to chaminade, i can say that more than 50% of the houses we saw in RVC proudly displayed their Chaminade, Sacred Heart, St agnes awards. literally felt like every other house. nothing wrong with this. whereas GC we definitely saw at least 1 chaminade (out of the 7 homes we saw). seemed more prevalent in RVC speaking with the realtors.e

Old 10-03-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
ehh.... while i don’t dispute that there are HS boys in GC that go to chaminade, i can say that more than 50% of the houses we saw in RVC proudly displayed their Chaminade, Sacred Heart, St agnes awards. literally felt like every other house. nothing wrong with this. whereas GC we definitely saw at least 1 chaminade (out of the 7 homes we saw). seemed more prevalent in RVC speaking with the realtors.e
a sample size of SEVEN homes is not nearly enough to draw conclusions about which area sends more kids to private school.

Regardless, your original question about RVC schools (are the schools that terrible because so many children attend private school) remains absurd.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
a sample size of SEVEN homes is not nearly enough to draw conclusions about which area sends more kids to private school.

Regardless, your original question about RVC schools (are the schools that terrible because so many children attend private school) remains absurd.
selective reading huh..As i clearly stated.. after speaking with realtors it appeared more prevalent in RVC. If im spending 7 figuresplus 30k in taxes, you better believe I’d look for more info for than just the 7 homes. “Terrible” was not my best choice of words in my original post. And in regards to chaminade, spending $40k+to get into Binghampton, Hofstra Fairfield, and Providence leaves a lot to be desired as these places are reachable by kids from the most average districts on the island. Kind of makes one wonder what they are teaching at the old fabled HS institution . Certainly not logic

Last edited by nyc555; 10-03-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
It could be because the Diocese is located in RVC and there are a lot of practicing steady church-going Catholics in that community. Are you seeing homes where the children are attending Catholic private schools or other types of private schools? It's a community where Catholic education is pushed.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:42 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times
RVC is heavy on the Catholics. At least for now.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:46 PM

202 posts, read 165,324 times
Wherever there are white catholics, that's a good thing.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:43 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It could be because the Diocese is located in RVC and there are a lot of practicing steady church-going Catholics in that community. Are you seeing homes where the children are attending Catholic private schools or other types of private schools? It's a community where Catholic education is pushed.
This is exactly correct. If you go to the 5 towns area and ask you will probably find a large percentage attending the Yeshevia schools. Personal preference comes into play.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
selective reading huh..As i clearly stated.. after speaking with realtors it appeared more prevalent in RVC.
oooh...the REALTOR told you! It must be true!
Quote:
If im spending 7 figuresplus 30k in taxes, you better believe I’d look for more info for than just the 7 homes. “Terrible” was not my best choice of words in my original post. And in regards to chaminade, spending $40k+to get into Binghampton, Hofstra Fairfield, and Providence leaves a lot to be desired as these places are reachable by kids from the most average districts on the island. Kind of makes one wonder what they are teaching at the old fabled HS institution . Certainly not logic
you don't understand it because you lack perspective and awareness. Many parents see high school as something more than a simple stepping stone to college - and are willing to pay to give their kids a certain experience. It's certainly not for everyone, but judging people for choosing a religious education for their child says more about you than them. Also, dropping 40k for Catholic high school is simply not a big deal for many people. There's obviously many people that have no problem financing 12 years of catholic high school for multiple children. And of course there's the folks from even more expensive neighborhoods that send their children to private schools that cost 25k-30k per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island