Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we re-open the country now?
No, remain closed for a while longer. 52 50.98%
Yes, open everything now including non-essential businesses. 50 49.02%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 07:02 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Thought there was supposed to be regional coordination.

Unless CT Gov grew a set and decided to serve his constituents and not be a slave to Cuomo.

SOunds like I'll be on a ferry at the end of May/beginning of June
I thought there was supposed to be regional coordination too but I guess CT succumb to pressure.

But maybe Cuomo will announce something similar today ...

I feel like we are never going open this is depressing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 07:24 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I thought there was supposed to be regional coordination too but I guess CT succumb to pressure.

Guess the other govs decided that Cuomos approach was wrong..

CT is controlled by the rich in the southwest so...

Old 05-01-2020, 07:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Cuomo is holding out for a federal bailout. He won’t get one. Unfortunately all the ranting about needing tends of thousands of ventilators and the fact that NY, while bad, wasn’t an apocalypse, hurts his message. Other states have realized that “flattening the curve” doesn’t mean “hide until the virus goes away”.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:36 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Cuomo is holding out for a federal bailout. He won’t get one. Unfortunately all the ranting about needing tends of thousands of ventilators and the fact that NY, while bad, wasn’t an apocalypse, hurts his message. Other states have realized that “flattening the curve” doesn’t mean “hide until the virus goes away”.

The people are already revolting (ignoring the mindless sheep that have decided to hide till ????) when the virus goes away.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:45 AM

We cant stop the virus so we have to learn to live safely among it

Old 05-01-2020, 07:45 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,946 times
The big issue on reopening is public transportation which is critical in our metro area.

You can't practice social distancing and you have huge crowds of people of all races and classes on the subway here. Will the virus spread like wildfire on the subway as many suspect it did originally. The subways are now being closed overnight for cleaning and the Gov/NYC mayor are finally paying some attention to the massive homeless problem in the subways.

Just because you may not take LIRR/NYC subway doesn't mean it doesn't impact us as a region.

The 2nd thing is what happens in all of the offices ...many of which have moved to open office models where you can't practice social distancing and workers sit in super close proximity. Firms are looking at ways to address this (alternating when staff is in the office, expanded work from home).

It is an imperfect solution for NYC.
High paying jobs are the drivers of the economy in NYC metro and many companies now a proven sample that work from home actually works. For so long old school folks in power were anti work from home since they can't micro manage workers (they are sitting home watching Netflix, etc. or that's for Google/Apple folks) People who commute 2 hours per day are working from home extensively due to the pandemic and are saying wow look at how much time I save and how much more productive I am....and companies are listening/hearing this.

Reopen too quickly and not only do you risk alienating those workers (and encouraging more work from home) but all the businesses that are dependent on those workers for their business (LIRR/delis/barbers/restaurants/coffee shops/etc). You can't possibly do effective contact tracing if you ride the LIRR and/or the subway to work.you encounter hundreds of people that you don't know....and that is why regional coordination is necessary and reopening here will take likely the longest.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
The big issue on reopening is public transportation which is critical in our metro area.

You can't practice social distancing and you have huge crowds of people of all races and classes on the subway here. Will the virus spread like wildfire on the subway as many suspect it did originally. The subways are now being closed overnight for cleaning and the Gov/NYC mayor are finally paying some attention to the massive homeless problem in the subways.

Just because you may not take LIRR/NYC subway doesn't mean it doesn't impact us as a region.

The 2nd thing is what happens in all of the offices ...many of which have moved to open office models where you can't practice social distancing and workers sit in super close proximity. Firms are looking at ways to address this (alternating when staff is in the office, expanded work from home).

High paying jobs are the drivers of the economy in NYC metro and many companies now a proven sample that work from home actually works. For so long old school folks in power were anti work from home since they can't micro manage workers (they are sitting home watching Netflix, etc. or that's for Google/Apple folks) People who commute 2 hours per day are working from home extensively due to the pandemic and are saying wow look at how much time I save and how much more productive I am....and companies are listening/hearing this.

Reopen too quickly and not only do you risk alienating those workers (and encouraging more work from home) but all the businesses that are dependent on those workers for their business (LIRR/delis/barbers/restaurants/coffee shops/etc). You can't possibly do effective contact tracing if you ride the LIRR and/or the subway to work.you encounter hundreds of people that you don't know....and that is why regional coordination is necessary and reopening here will take likely the longest.
But they can start little by little, especially here on LI.

Me driving to my local hair salon has nothing to do with the subway or the LIRR

Old 05-01-2020, 08:18 AM

158 posts, read 189,421 times
Sweden left everything open, their case fatality rate is 12.3%. US's is 5.9% (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality)

not saying what we have done is 100% perfect either but clearly the better safe than sorry approach saved lives. Hindsight is 20/20, there was no way to know in early March how bad things were or weren't going to get. Modern US society has never sniffed a global pandemic.

now we have to figure out the tricky middle ground of getting people back to work/school in a way that saves lives. not easy when you have 50 different autonomous authorities with interconnected economies.

I understand losing a job is awful. But we recovered from the 70's economic crisis, 9/11 and the '08 financial crisis / Great Recession. We'll recover from this as well. There will be pain, yes. But you can't recover from death.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
Sweden left everything open, their case fatality rate is 12.3%. US's is 5.9% (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality)

not saying what we have done is 100% perfect either but clearly the better safe than sorry approach saved lives. Hindsight is 20/20, there was no way to know in early March how bad things were or weren't going to get. Modern US society has never sniffed a global pandemic.

now we have to figure out the tricky middle ground of getting people back to work/school in a way that saves lives. not easy when you have 50 different autonomous authorities with interconnected economies.

I understand losing a job is awful. But we recovered from the 70's economic crisis, 9/11 and the '08 financial crisis / Great Recession. We'll recover from this as well. There will be pain, yes. But you can't recover from death.
Right but suicide rates are going up like crazy right now ... you cant recover from death as you said.

We cannot continue to stay closed like this. Too much is @ stake & ppl are hanging by a thread

Old 05-01-2020, 08:38 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post

My job already let some people WFH before this. They have realized paying 2m a year in rent plus utilities may not be needed. The lease is up in 6 months, as of now plan is to consolidate to our other building that is owned and walk away from the lease and let 150 people wfh 3-4 days a week and rotate into office using shared space. Of course there will be 4-5 job causalities such as front desk and security. We are one small organization with 600 or so employees. Even if 3% of NYC goes this router, its going to be damage to NYC, and the MTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island