Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 06:26 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times

Advertisements

Of course 66 percent of people would be admitted from home as that is where most of us live.
Hospital admissions are tracked from where the patient comes from: home, nursing facility, or prison.

Sounds like someone intermixed admission data with public transportation and work.

Cuomo, like Trump, has outlived his usefulness with his daily look at me conferences. Time for them all to **** and leave the bean counters to do their job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 07:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Bellone was wondering about things like "3 day averages", etc. to try and see if Suffolk would be compliant.

But using Cuomo logic yes, you would start over again.
So LI isnt opening ever ....

Old 05-06-2020, 08:07 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So LI isnt opening ever ....
At some point Cuomo will back down. June is my prediction.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:42 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
More dumping on De Blasio, Cuomo (and Trump), today in the New York Times:

"The research indicates that a wave of infections swept from New York City through much of the country before the city began setting social distancing limits to stop the growth. That helped to fuel outbreaks in Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and as far away as the West Coast."

"During crucial weeks in March, New York’s political leaders waited to take aggressive action, even after identifying hundreds of cases, giving the virus a head start. And by mid-March, when President Trump restricted travel from Europe, the restrictions were essentially pointless, the data suggest, as the disease was already spreading widely within the country."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/u...-outbreak.html

Many now say Cuomo did too little too late at the onset - hopefully he doesn't repeat himself and do too little too late with the economy.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:45 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
66% of all new cases coming from people staying home. Yeah, this stay at home bs, is really working. Time to get back to living people. Moderator cut: (implied) language removed coumo
Well if there are people visiting their homes then they may as well go out on the street, people aren't using common sense. This virus doesn't somehow magically appear in peoples homes, someone is bringing the virus.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:47 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
Testing does absolutely nothing at this point especially somewhere like NYC. All it does is create some false sense of security.
The importance of testing is to be able to detect increases in the rate of infection in hot spots.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:35 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Contact testing can never work in our area, especially in NYC. I work in Manhattan.

Let's say I am asymptomatic and head to work.

1) Get on the LIRR.(I rarely take note of the car number). I sneeze, cough, etc.
2) Get on the subway to get to my office.

Maybe days later I get a fever or my same day my office takes my temp and it high. I then get a test and I am positive. They say let's contact trace. How in the world are they going to find all the people that were on the LIRR and subway with me??? It's impossible. Now those people I infected are also asymptomatic and continue riding the subway. How would it ever end when you can't identify/isolate those people who were exposed.

People on this forum keep forgetting just how interconnected LI and NYC are. The subway is the lifeblood of the city. LIRR is a major player. It is much easier to contact trace if you drive to and from work (as many on this forum probably do).

That is why Gov Cuomo is totally lost on this subject and he finally admitted it yesterday. They have no plan on how to handle the influx of people returning to the subway and spreading the virus. My office in Manhattan can take 1000 precautions but it doesn't matter because almost everyone in the city rides the subway or comes into contact with someone who does. This is not China where they have apps on their phone that allows the govt to track them, etc.

I don't have the answer but that's the major concern in reopening in NYC metro. The numbers are going down because everyone is home, subway ridership is down 93% ....LIRR ridership over 75%......everyone on this forum keeps cheering and saying yay we won, the curve has been flattened...time to reopen the hospitals are empty....yes of course the numbers are looking good as if everyone is home. Unlike public transit in most American cities, high income workers (whose voices/influences count) use the MTA and would be in an uproar if we reopen and its worse than the original round

And no, I don't want to stay home until a vaccine.
NYS is planning on hiring upto 17000 tracers, atleast they are trying to keep the economy going right ?

I do get your point about public transport - its tough, but looks like its happening anyway.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:27 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Guys like Cuomo are over-reliant on the eggheads that come up with plans that sound nice but are impossible to implement. Of course places like mass transit make true contact tracing impossible to implement, but also there is tons of non-compliance. We already see certain communities that are hard hit by this - poor minorities, orthodox Jews, etc., and most of them are not "essential employees" out risking their necks. They just can't or won't listen to the rules.

If they are not social distancing and following proper PPE/washing protocol now, why do we think they'd bother responding to contact tracing? Can you imagine trying to do these tests in a place like East New York or the Soundview section of the Bronx?

And then, when it inevitably ends up being a waste of time, we will all get blamed equally. The whole system works in a very passive-aggressive manner, similar to the office manager sending out an office-wide email about cleaning the microwave in the kitchen when she knows it's always Bob that leaves it a mess.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:32 AM

592 posts, read 919,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Of course 66 percent of people would be admitted from home as that is where most of us live.
Hospital admissions are tracked from where the patient comes from: home, nursing facility, or prison.

Sounds like someone intermixed admission data with public transportation and work.

Cuomo, like Trump, has outlived his usefulness with his daily look at me conferences. Time for them all to **** and leave the bean counters to do their job
This big ‘bombshell’ was him covering his tracks for not shutting subways in mid-March thereby spreading the virus all over the tri-state area. His disinfecting the subways story was the day before. Follow the story.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:43 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Guys like Cuomo are over-reliant on the eggheads that come up with plans that sound nice but are impossible to implement. Of course places like mass transit make true contact tracing impossible to implement, but also there is tons of non-compliance. We already see certain communities that are hard hit by this - poor minorities, orthodox Jews, etc., and most of them are not "essential employees" out risking their necks. They just can't or won't listen to the rules.

If they are not social distancing and following proper PPE/washing protocol now, why do we think they'd bother responding to contact tracing? Can you imagine trying to do these tests in a place like East New York or the Soundview section of the Bronx?

And then, when it inevitably ends up being a waste of time, we will all get blamed equally. The whole system works in a very passive-aggressive manner, similar to the office manager sending out an office-wide email about cleaning the microwave in the kitchen when she knows it's always Bob that leaves it a mess.
They probably also didn't buy cleaning products when they were available and can't get them now.

They may also be driving for Doordash, etc in their local communities, where again - the receivers of the good are not taking precautions to clean the deliveries or wash their hands after getting the items. Not the easiest way to transmit COVID, but it's a trickle down - if the virus is getting onto enough surfaces it will transmit.

Also, as noted these people are much more likely to head to the ER than other groups - whether they really need to or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island