Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 09:17 PM

66 posts, read 46,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
As mentioned earlier corruption isn’t exclusive to here. My properties in Florida have seen huge tax hikes in the last 5 years. When you factor in the high cost of water, garbage and sewer not in your tax bill. And higher home insurance even though it’s miles from the water it’s no bargain. Add it all up it’s about 9k a year for 1700 sq ft of course no basement on a 80x100. I know 2 people In Texas Austin and Dallas suburb. Both are pushing 10k for 3k sq ft on a bit less than 1/2 acre. Cheaper yes some amazing bargain def not.
The house i'm going to buy doesn't even exist here as everything is old. Master planned communites don't exist
either, it's like night and day, no comparison. Zero income Tax makes it a no brainer. My wife can't wait to get a modern house with a huge eat in kitchen and a master bedroom suite that only wealthy people get here.
never saw a master bedroom suite with a private bathroom the size of my current master bedroom that includes a walk in shower, huge Tub and Dual sink vanity with another little room for the toilet until I went to Texas. Very common and affordable in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
Price isn't issue. The problem is no matter how much $ you have, everything is awful here.
Exactly!!!

Old 12-30-2020, 01:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscott462 View Post
The house i'm going to buy doesn't even exist here as everything is old. Master planned communites don't exist
either, it's like night and day, no comparison. Zero income Tax makes it a no brainer. My wife can't wait to get a modern house with a huge eat in kitchen and a master bedroom suite that only wealthy people get here.
never saw a master bedroom suite with a private bathroom the size of my current master bedroom that includes a walk in shower, huge Tub and Dual sink vanity with another little room for the toilet until I went to Texas. Very common and affordable in Texas.
They most def exist here. My master is around 650 sq ft with 2 walk ins the size of bedrooms in capes and ranches. Any new construction home has what you just mentioned. It’s def more affordable in Texas. Good luck, I can guarantee you one thing. You will love living in a new home! I’m not a contractor but I do invest in real estate. Master planned community doesn’t mean it’s a good house. Could be amazing, these guys throw up as many homes as the local gov will let them and build them as cheap as they can. They have a budget and a time frame and the goal is to be under budget and shorten the build time. I always look at baseboard trim. If the run is shorter than 16ft and it has a seam, that means they cheaped out and used scraps instead of spending $20 to get another piece. If they did this to save $100, most likely cut corners in others areas.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:59 AM

297 posts, read 196,618 times
Quote:
They most def exist here. My master is around 650 sq ft with 2 walk ins the size of bedrooms in capes and ranches. Any new construction home has what you just mentioned. It’s def more affordable in Texas. Good luck, I can guarantee you one thing. You will love living in a new home! I’m not a contractor but I do invest in real estate. Master planned community doesn’t mean it’s a good house. Could be amazing, these guys throw up as many homes as the local gov will let them and build them as cheap as they can. They have a budget and a time frame and the goal is to be under budget and shorten the build time. I always look at baseboard trim. If the run is shorter than 16ft and it has a seam, that means they cheaped out and used scraps instead of spending $20 to get another piece. If they did this to save $100, most likely cut corners in others areas.
He is probably talking about the average house. You go on any marketplace for home buying in pretty much any state outside of the northeast and you will see 2000 SQFT ranches sprawling all over the place.

What do you see when you do so in Long Island? Don't give me the "it exists. Yeah, that one house does exist here and there. I'm pretty sure we are all talking about the average quality of housing and life in long island. We have everything overpriced (ok but lets not talk about price because youll pick this statement to bother about and you will half@ss the rest), the housing stock

1. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...59581400_zpid/
2. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...32601505_zpid/
3. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...31381715_zpid/

1. WTF is this
2. WTF is this
3. Builders decided to build a house with door like 9 and three quarters station in Harry Potter, right in between 2 floors. WTF???? Who decides to build a door in the middle of two fken floors? I'll tell you who like this idea: people here, because (not every last one person, just average) average joe doesn't have a clue nor ambition to get that clue that the housing stock is abysmal, that of a Three Little Pigs fable.

Look at this in AZ. Show me ten homes like these over here that are for sale, in each town of long island. Screw that, show me one house - ranch, not these 3 level hideous monstrocities built to support a mexican family of 20. One floor, no stairs, any price, town of whatever west of islip. Show me one house for sale today that doesnt have a fundamental issue.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6.../7797488_zpid/

Don;t say it exists here because we are not looking to commute 3 hours like idiots from the no/so forks, ronkonoma and anywhere east of islip. The only houses that are good and big are in hempstead, copiague, the hood, and some parts of northport (west of wherever its too far - even northport is far).

And dont say "well herp a derp look at me I dont have to commute because quality life is bet..". I dont have to explain to everyone who is clueless, not saying you are but if you use this argument, that if there is a city nearby, people WILL commute. Who is this people? Mindless idiots that dont mind living to die and not living to live. Because of these mindless zombies, the price goes to a point where you have no food remaining, and if we are going to play the "well all i have to do is earn more income", that's putting a bigger garbage solution over a smaller garbage solution because once work from home kicks off (as it is now), people will leave this dump to pay 600/mo in TX than 3k/4k in this dying of a place where a few idiots live. I make a good income for my family to support it and dont complain about the salary, but you know what's going to happen when work from home kicks off? They will raise your taxes but they wont increase your pay because people will do YOUR job somewhere else for cheaper, and that is when your "Quality" of Life logic will go to the toilet and join whatever else you got down there. This isnt a place to live, this is a temporary place to reside it and make it to the next day; that's not living. That's survivng: long island in a nutshell.

I can't wait for this place to turn to Detroit. It's slowly starting to creep in that direction and we all know what people of this island do when there is a problem: run away. That's right, they will run away like they did from the Bronx in the 70s, except the only place to run is atlantic ocean or somewhere completely else this time.

If you have 10 tax payers, if 2 leave and the tax base doesnt get reduced, the remaining 8 will either have to be rich or too stupid to realize that their taxes will increase, because these crooks are definitely not leaving you all.

This is just housing, I can keep going. The only reason why I'm here is because of the fishing, lmao. And it's not even on long island; it's in the water. But dont worry about me, I'm just one person.

Last edited by Punkster55; 12-30-2020 at 07:09 AM..

Old 12-30-2020, 07:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times
Quote:
He is probably talking about the average house. You go on any marketplace for home buying in pretty much any state outside of the northeast and you will see 2000 SQFT ranches sprawling all over the place.

What do you see when you do so in Long Island? Don't give me the "it exists. Yeah, that one house does exist here and there. I'm pretty sure we are all talking about the average quality of housing and life in long island. We have everything overpriced (ok but lets not talk about price because youll pick this statement to bother about and you will half@ss the rest), the housing stock

1. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...59581400_zpid/
2. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...32601505_zpid/
3. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...31381715_zpid/

1. WTF is this
2. WTF is this
3. Builders decided to build a house with door like 9 and three quarters station in Harry Potter, right in between 2 floors. WTF???? Who decides to build a door in the middle of two fken floors? I'll tell you who like this idea: people here, because (not every last one person, just average) average joe doesn't have a clue nor ambition to get that clue that the housing stock is abysmal, that of a Three Little Pigs fable.

Look at this in AZ. Show me ten homes like these over here that are for sale, in each town of long island. Screw that, show me one house - ranch, not these 3 level hideous monstrocities built to support a mexican family of 20. One floor, no stairs, any price, town of whatever west of islip. Show me one house for sale today that doesnt have a fundamental issue.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6.../7797488_zpid/

Don;t say it exists here because we are not looking to commute 3 hours like idiots from the no/so forks, ronkonoma and anywhere east of islip. The only houses that are good and big are in hempstead, copiague, the hood, and some parts of northport (west of wherever its too far - even northport is far).

And dont say "well herp a derp look at me I dont have to commute because quality life is bet..". I dont have to explain to everyone who is clueless, not saying you are but if you use this argument, that if there is a city nearby, people WILL commute. Who is this people? Mindless idiots that dont mind living to die and not living to live. Because of these mindless zombies, the price goes to a point where you have no food remaining, and if we are going to play the "well all i have to do is earn more income", that's putting a bigger garbage solution over a smaller garbage solution because once work from home kicks off (as it is now), people will leave this dump to pay 600/mo in TX than 3k/4k in this dying of a place where a few idiots live. I make a good income for my family to support it and dont complain about the salary, but you know what's going to happen when work from home kicks off? They will raise your taxes but they wont increase your pay because people will do YOUR job somewhere else for cheaper, and that is when your "Quality" of Life logic will go to the toilet and join whatever else you got down there. This isnt a place to live, this is a temporary place to reside it and make it to the next day; that's not living. That's survivng: long island in a nutshell.

I can't wait for this place to turn to Detroit. It's slowly starting to creep in that direction and we all know what people of this island do when there is a problem: run away. That's right, they will run away like they did from the Bronx in the 70s, except the only place to run is atlantic ocean or somewhere completely else this time.

If you have 10 tax payers, if 2 leave and the tax base doesnt get reduced, the remaining 8 will either have to be rich or too stupid to realize that their taxes will increase, because these crooks are definitely not leaving you all.

This is just housing, I can keep going. The only reason why I'm here is because of the fishing, lmao. And it's not even on long island; it's in the water. But dont worry about me, I'm just one person.
One of many large ranches not in the ghetto. These are a dime a dozen

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/4-carry-lane

Old 12-30-2020, 09:38 AM

1,107 posts, read 553,262 times
Quote:
The only reason why I'm here is because of the fishing, lmao. And it's not even on long island; it's in the water. But dont worry about me, I'm just one person.
Yeah, because everyone knows that Long Island is the only place in the country where there's fishing.

Try again.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:47 AM

1,107 posts, read 553,262 times
Quote:
I am absolutley leaving as I found a much better quality of life in Texas and will spend far less with no snow and ice.

I will be selling my 58 year old fixer upper that needs constant work with 12k in property taxes and the buyer will be thrilled because it's not a lot higher, LOL

I will be using that money to buy a 10 year old house 2 times the size for 100k less with property taxes 1/3 of
what people are paying here.

My new house will be 4 sided brick with some stone on the front in a master planned community and I will smile every day. No more unfriendly Long Islanders with attitudes. No more income taxes on my salary, no more high property taxes and best of all, no more subsidizing the welfare state of New York.
Hey, I'm happy that you found a place that better suits you and your needs/wants. I hope it ends up being everything you expect it will be. I'm not going to bad-mouth Texas or point out what I think is wrong with it.
I'm just not a Texas-type person, so it wouldn't work for me. Long Island suits me fine, and I'm happy here. We're not all going to want the same things in life, but this is a big country and there's something out there for everyone. I just don't get the need to bash someone else's choices just because they're not yours. That's all I'm saying.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
One of many large ranches not in the ghetto. These are a dime a dozen

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/4-carry-lane

Really LOL!!!! I needed a good laugh, Thanks!!!!!

https://www.estately.com/NY/Melville

Old 12-30-2020, 09:48 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,251 times
Quote:
We have been eyeing Texas for 5 years, and with fully remote work the time is now right to make a smooth
transition. After many years of visits, It has already become like a second home to us as I know my way around very well and even made some friends. I don't begrudge anyone remaining but I don't like people pretending everything is great when they know full well how the massive corruption is robbing people of their quality of life and their future. Once I have a Texas address it becomes much easier to find a Job if needed.
Texas the new hot property for the cranky set. I lived there. I liked it, but I lived in Austin and Dallas. Permian basin money has created a boom town for some, others will just get socked when it ends. Austin is so priced/taxed out only Joe Rogan and Sandra Bullock are moving there (and NYC expats who don't like the Hamptons). Toll roads, tax increases, HOA's, sprawl, hidden taxes. Get into Dallas metro now, you're almost too late. Good luck with that Texas non-corruption. Even the Attorney General was just indicted for bribery. Do your homework.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:51 AM

20,062 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Yeah, because everyone knows that Long Island is the only place in the country where there's fishing.

Try again.
So, Beaches-bagels-pizza-shopping...and...fishing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island