Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 01:07 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscott462 View Post
Really LOL!!!! I needed a good laugh, Thanks!!!!!

https://www.estately.com/NY/Melville
https://www.estately.com/listings/in...urnberry-ct--5

This one is fairly similar to my house, although mine is 20% bigger + finished walkout basement with 9’ ceilings on 1 acre and was custom built, not by a mass market builder - and less than half the price. My taxes are 1/3 and the schools are better ranked.

This isn’t to put down Melville or this house, but $2M with $28K taxes is a LOT of money for what you really are getting. Again, if you’re making $600K+ on Wall St you can afford it, but if you’re making less you could afford it elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 01:33 PM

855 posts, read 452,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
If "the libs" turned SF into a hellhole, it was circa 1960. So much for current references. I disagree on the "don't see that dynamic anywhere else." You actually see that dynamic anywhere there is winter. People get older, get sick of the cold, retire to cheaper, warmer locales. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Nope. The dynamic here is well above anywhere else.

Plenty of NYers move North to colder weather in retirement.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:44 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post

True. Unfortunately.
Thankfully, the majority do head south.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:30 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
This isn't entirely accurate. Maine has one of the harshest winters in the U.S., and it is one of the most popular retirement destinations in the country.
I lived there for 6 years. It's not a retirement mecca just because they built some condos in Kennebunkport. It's a beautiful place with too long winters and too short summers, weather similar to western NYS, probably better.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:36 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post

I was up by Saratoga last summer and was amazed how many new retirement communities are sprouting up there. Some adjacent to the I-87 Northway, which I cannot comprehend.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:01 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I was up by Saratoga last summer and was amazed how many new retirement communities are sprouting up there. Some adjacent to the I-87 Northway, which I cannot comprehend.
I’ve been saying it for years...
Saratoga is the new Hamptons.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:01 PM

1,107 posts, read 553,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I lived there for 6 years. It's not a retirement mecca just because they built some condos in Kennebunkport. It's a beautiful place with too long winters and too short summers, weather similar to western NYS, probably better.
There are many retirement communities throughout Maine, not just in Kennebunkport. I believe it is 5th or 6th in the list of top states that people retire to.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:30 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,143,422 times
Gaahhhhh! This thread is depressing...

I've never been to NY, but was kinda curious about Long Island and if it was a cool unique spot that would be interesting to visit. I had no idea this place was so expensive, I thought expensive was limited to the high rises of Manhattan. I was hoping there'd be charm, but it sounds like it's much more so convenience than charm that's the pull. No wonder people come to Denver and buy a crappy 3 bedroom house for $500,000 and think they are getting a deal!

I do not get the restaurant obsession. Literally everywhere in the United States has decently good food. Basically any city over 10,000 people has decent ethnic variety that's fairly good, and any metro over a million has basically everything you could want. And if I wanted to take a food vacation, Mexico City will trump anything NY has and is 1/3 the price.

It just seems weird, there's many people who make the shift from a smaller town city to the big city, but it seems like when someone's raised in a big city, living somewhere smaller is not even a consideration, even though there's big benefits. This thread makes it seem like people get stuck in a place even if it's deteriorating and they don't really know what they're missing out on in the rest of the interior of the country.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:43 PM

855 posts, read 452,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This thread makes it seem like people get stuck in a place even if it's deteriorating and they don't really know what they're missing out on in the rest of the interior of the country.
Bingo.

I'm someone who was raised young on LI, then lived both in CA and internationally. Moved back 20+ yrs later. And it's absolutely shocking how many here appear to have no concept of life outside this bubble. Back in touch with friends I went to school with many a year ago and I can't even relate to them. They maybe went to college out of state, a 3-5 hr drive away and returned, and that's the extent of their ventures away.

The proof is the social circles. Impossible to break into on LI as everyone is still surrounded by 3 generations of family and the people they went to school with. They're literally afraid of outsiders. Completely different than many other places with a more global injection of people. But most other places people are just more open and friendly in general.

Never mind the infrastructure on LI is absolutely abhorrent compared to elsewhere. There's some natural beauty here but the architectural style of commercial/retail/business buildings here is some of the worst I've seen on the planet. And every day it appears another goes vacant. Empty. Just sitting there wasting away.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:56 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Gaahhhhh! This thread is depressing...

I've never been to NY, but was kinda curious about Long Island and if it was a cool unique spot that would be interesting to visit. I had no idea this place was so expensive, I thought expensive was limited to the high rises of Manhattan. I was hoping there'd be charm, but it sounds like it's much more so convenience than charm that's the pull. No wonder people come to Denver and buy a crappy 3 bedroom house for $500,000 and think they are getting a deal!

I do not get the restaurant obsession. Literally everywhere in the United States has decently good food. Basically any city over 10,000 people has decent ethnic variety that's fairly good, and any metro over a million has basically everything you could want. And if I wanted to take a food vacation, Mexico City will trump anything NY has and is 1/3 the price.

It just seems weird, there's many people who make the shift from a smaller town city to the big city, but it seems like when someone's raised in a big city, living somewhere smaller is not even a consideration, even though there's big benefits. This thread makes it seem like people get stuck in a place even if it's deteriorating and they don't really know what they're missing out on in the rest of the interior of the country.
Don't let this forum give you the myopic view of Long Island. It's the same posters writing post after post about the same stuff. Yeah, the NYC metro area is pricey. Real estate in CA is higher and those people complain a lot too. Same in Hawaii, which also has problems despite the great weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island