Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 09:57 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
One of many large ranches not in the ghetto. These are a dime a dozen

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/4-carry-lane
As much as I hate agreeing with the ding dongers here, comparing LI housing stock to Central Texas is ludicrous, unless you are talking about 2 or 3 specific urban centers like Austin and Houston. LI has the most tired, outdated, weak infrastructure, toxic plumes, housing market I've ever seen. Only coming from the city does this look at all attractive. What I can get here for $400k (ugh, what I OWN HERE FOR $500lk) would cost $250k there, with decent schools (not great), nice new infrastructure, better weather and a growing job/industrial base. BUT, we are in decline and they are nearing the top of their growth...in 10 years, Kscott will be on the Dallas-Ft Worth forums screaming about the corruption and lack of value and taxes and traffic (already bad), blah blah blah. They've been doing it in Austin for 15 years now. In fact covid will bring more LA/NYC money to Austin which will send Austinites to Dallas which will drive up your costs. Wherever you go, there you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 10:00 AM

66 posts, read 46,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Hey, I'm happy that you found a place that better suits you and your needs/wants. I hope it ends up being everything you expect it will be. I'm not going to bad-mouth Texas or point out what I think is wrong with it.
I'm just not a Texas-type person, so it wouldn't work for me. Long Island suits me fine, and I'm happy here. We're not all going to want the same things in life, but this is a big country and there's something out there for everyone. I just don't get the need to bash someone else's choices just because they're not yours. That's all I'm saying.
Thanks!!!

Old 12-30-2020, 10:16 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
As much as I hate agreeing with the ding dongers here, comparing LI housing stock to Central Texas is ludicrous, unless you are talking about 2 or 3 specific urban centers like Austin and Houston. LI has the most tired, outdated, weak infrastructure, toxic plumes, housing market I've ever seen. Only coming from the city does this look at all attractive. What I can get here for $400k (ugh, what I OWN HERE FOR $500lk) would cost $250k there, with decent schools (not great), nice new infrastructure, better weather and a growing job/industrial base. BUT, we are in decline and they are nearing the top of their growth...in 10 years, Kscott will be on the Dallas-Ft Worth forums screaming about the corruption and lack of value and taxes and traffic (already bad), blah blah blah. They've been doing it in Austin for 15 years now. In fact covid will bring more LA/NYC money to Austin which will send Austinites to Dallas which will drive up your costs. Wherever you go, there you are!
I agree, the markets aren’t comparable. the point was in response to him that 2k sq ft ranches don’t exist, the realty is they are all over the place East of islip. I looked at maybe 10 3k+ sq ft ranches in Dix hills, melville, csh, and Northport. They are pretty common. They are generally more $$ as they sit on 1+ acre lots.

Our housing stock is trending newer due to tall the tear downs and repurposing of farms, golf courses etc. these homes are all in the close to 1m range. People are buying them and that’s all that matters.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I agree, the markets aren’t comparable. the point was in response to him that 2k sq ft ranches don’t exist, the realty is they are all over the place East of islip. I looked at maybe 10 3k+ sq ft ranches in Dix hills, melville, csh, and Northport. They are pretty common. They are generally more $$ as they sit on 1+ acre lots.

Our housing stock is trending newer due to tall the tear downs and repurposing of farms, golf courses etc. these homes are all in the close to 1m range. People are buying them and that’s all that matters.
True, but it would matter more if some actual businesses/industry came along for the ride. Without that, it's just another housing bubble and tax hike.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:36 AM

297 posts, read 196,657 times
Quote:
True, but it would matter more if some actual businesses/industry came along for the ride. Without that, it's just another housing bubble and tax hike.
Old ranch + 100k in reno materials -> 500k ish
New ranch + tear down of inside because todays constructoin is garbo (100k)+20k town trash -> 1million.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:08 PM

855 posts, read 452,283 times
I don't know anyone with the means who still lives on LI after retirement, or anyone who hopefully will have the means who isn't planning on moving off LI when they retire. You don't really see that dynamic anywhere else.

Even in the SF Bay Area where I lived for many years and there is an exodus, as the liberals have turned SF into a hellhole, many living in the surrounding suburbs still plan on trying to make it work long term given the infrastructure is modern, improving/expanding and there's more natural beauty.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
I don't know anyone with the means who still lives on LI after retirement, or anyone who hopefully will have the means who isn't planning on moving off LI when they retire. You don't really see that dynamic anywhere else.

Even in the SF Bay Area where I lived for many years and there is an exodus, as the liberals have turned SF into a hellhole, many living in the surrounding suburbs still plan on trying to make it work long term given the infrastructure is modern, improving/expanding and there's more natural beauty.
If "the libs" turned SF into a hellhole, it was circa 1960. So much for current references. I disagree on the "don't see that dynamic anywhere else." You actually see that dynamic anywhere there is winter. People get older, get sick of the cold, retire to cheaper, warmer locales. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:56 PM

1,107 posts, read 553,422 times
Just because you don't know anyone who retires on LI, doesn't mean they don't exist. I have the means to retire anywhere I like, yet I plan on staying here. I was going to move to Florida, but changed my mind when I realized how much I'd miss about this place. One of my closest friends retired to Florida and now wants to come back. Another friend moved to Georgia and plans on returning. I have quite a few friends here who plan on staying put when they retire.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:57 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
This right here is spot on advice. If you know 100% you will never make a solid income in the NYC metro area then I would def start looking into cheaper col areas. Life’s to short to struggle and be miserable.
I have a cousin on the south shore making around $100K between her and her husband and they’re doing “ok”. Many times they’ve been tempted to leave but her friends keep them rooted there, which I can totally understand.

But it’s sad to see that they’re overpaying for everything and not able to save a ton for retirement or their kids’ education, plus their house is pretty small. My wife told her we use Alexa as an intercom to call the kids down for dinner and she didn’t understand why it would be needed.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:00 PM

1,107 posts, read 553,422 times
Quote:
If "the libs" turned SF into a hellhole, it was circa 1960. So much for current references. I disagree on the "don't see that dynamic anywhere else." You actually see that dynamic anywhere there is winter. People get older, get sick of the cold, retire to cheaper, warmer locales. Wash, rinse, repeat.
This isn't entirely accurate. Maine has one of the harshest winters in the U.S., and it is one of the most popular retirement destinations in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island