Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 01:32 PM

622 posts, read 856,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I love the way people go harmlessly off topic in the NY forum without a mod coming around to smack them and give out points.

That said, I have seen that PSEG and other NY utility companies are sensitive to increases in usage and prices take huge leaps fairly easily.

Here in the Land of Meth, I mean Enchantment, my electric is about $35 a month, seriously. I added two chest freezers, still $35. Used the a/c all summer (a small unit), and electric jumped to $39 then $52 at the peak. Back to $35 now.

Assessing the difference between the two power companies (mine being PNM now), there seems to be a fairly decent amount of power usage slack before the power co. hikes your bill.

Also, more and more power is coming from green energy sources, and it's not costing us more. If they try to give you that, don't fear it.

SO and I left LI over 2 years ago and live out west as well. KwH charges are .14 per which means we spend much less on electric over 12 months. Those ridiculous energy supply charges are non-existent in our new locale. Funny, LIPA could never explain how those energy supply charges were calculated. Couple that with much lower nat gas rates and frankly, our energy costs have come down in a major way.

Can't understand how LI'ers have been screwed for so long with no solution in sight for high energy costs. After Sandy, Gov Fredo was so frustrated with LIPA, he brought in PSE&G. Unfortunately, it's not the Jersey PSE&G, but a rebranded LIPA PSE&G. Same bad executive management, same poor service at exorbidant rates. Gov Fredo did include a new performance bonus clause that apparently results in extra 10s of million$ in bonuses that PSE&G never seems to fail to win since they wrote the performance criteria.

I don't even want to think about National Grid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 12:29 PM

1,569 posts, read 801,388 times
Just got my pseg bill 589. Almost triple this time last year. They got their 250 dollars back in food reimbursement. What a joke.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:18 PM

72 posts, read 159,920 times
My tiny one bedroom condo during the summer with the a/c running occasionally was $190 in July and about $175 in August. I called PSEG 3 times. They said the meter reader person hasn't been to my complex in a few months so they were taking a guess on my usage. My bill in September went down to $40. I usually pay about $50 w/o the a/c running. I think they ripped me off during the summer.

Old 11-02-2020, 03:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,337,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
SO and I left LI over 2 years ago and live out west as well. KwH charges are .14 per which means we spend much less on electric over 12 months. Those ridiculous energy supply charges are non-existent in our new locale. Funny, LIPA could never explain how those energy supply charges were calculated. Couple that with much lower nat gas rates and frankly, our energy costs have come down in a major way.

Can't understand how LI'ers have been screwed for so long with no solution in sight for high energy costs. After Sandy, Gov Fredo was so frustrated with LIPA, he brought in PSE&G. Unfortunately, it's not the Jersey PSE&G, but a rebranded LIPA PSE&G. Same bad executive management, same poor service at exorbidant rates. Gov Fredo did include a new performance bonus clause that apparently results in extra 10s of million$ in bonuses that PSE&G never seems to fail to win since they wrote the performance criteria.

I don't even want to think about National Grid.
Here are my rates -

Base charge $24.85 a month - that’s everything including supply, billing, customer service, etc. no added line items.

After that - per kWh:

First 500 - $0.0767
Next 500 - $0.0736
> 1000 - June-Sept - $0.0860
> 1000 - Oct - May - $0.0540

So if I used 1000 kWh my all in actual rate would work out to around 10 cents per. I use considerably more so it works out less. I have 3x the house in a hotter climate but don’t pay that much more than I did on LI in August. That’s with 3 AC units and a heat pump, 3 of which are SEER 10. Once I replace them over time my bill will go down further.

And after the tropical storm that blew through last week my power went out for only 8 hours, just enough time to give my generator a decent workout.

You’ll never get these costs and level of service with PSEGLI/LIPA/LILCO but it’s ridiculous what people accept on LI.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:26 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,423,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

You’ll never get these costs and level of service with PSEGLI/LIPA/LILCO but it’s ridiculous what people accept on LI.
Yet here you are. Stop being jealous just because we can afford living here, and you cant.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Yet here you are. Stop being jealous just because we can afford living here, and you cant.
I have extended family and friends still on LI, so I keep tabs on things. There’s a lot to like about LI but the electric company isn’t one of them.

As to “afford”, that’s a relative term. If one makes the same coming in but has less going out, has a better QOL with less COL, I’d say that’s a reasonable decision.

Now, if I wanted what I have now as far as house/property on LI, you’re probably right. I couldn’t easily afford to pay $30-40K a year in taxes + the mortgage on top of that. That’s also a choice to make. That’s not jealousy though.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:14 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,423,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
That’s not jealousy though.
Sure sounds like it. Your missing out on all the bagels, and Pizza.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Had a great bagel over the weekend. Pizza comes close, but not 100%. Might need a trip up post-COVID. Tried some local Chicago-style for a change and fell into a carb overload coma.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:02 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,805,393 times
Quote:
No doubt that LI excels at the carby things I've cut out of my life lately. Having traveled a bit, I find the larger world is a far more interesting place than LI. I do miss JFK access and the variety of food available.

NY pizza is usually good, but not always. Turkish simit is similar, but far better than NY bagels.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:39 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,933,322 times
Quote:
Please don't tell people that affording living here is a positive. It's just sad. Who wants to be paying $15k in school taxes alone? Moderator cut: language removed

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-04-2020 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island