Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 02:16 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

There are some interesting housing styles on LI. You can tell what was planned and what wasn't. I grew up in Huntington, you can tell when you're looking at old beach bungalows turned family housing. No rhyme or reason architecturally. The street I grew up on, we were one of the first houses built (1933). Most of the other houses were ranches that were all exactly the same. Probably built in the late 50s or early 60s. There are sections of town where I live now that are similar. It's like driving around up north.

People from LI are just used to it. Doesn't faze them to see a house built into a hill with crazy rooflines or things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 02:21 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
No one builds with chinese material. Lumber is all USA and Canada. Most joists today are going to be Pre fab I joists since you can run 40-50 ft w/o sistering. Most osb plywood is made in the state and Canada. Triple pan windows are a massive wast of $$. Windows are the biggest waste of $$ towards efficiency. Better off with a single pan window that’s is insulated properly. For 1m you could sure as hell build a insane house. New homes don’t even use 2x4 code is 2x6 exterior.

The older homes here are going away. Got on Plainview, syosset, East Meadow, hicksville, Bellmore, Merrick. New homes every where.

Are LI schools prob overrated, sure they aren’t poor and stony Brooke is a very good school.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:27 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Default Sasie 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
It's not just LI. It's NJ, Weschester, LI included.

I see homes in other parts of the country are almost as good as that of other countries, but here in the tri state area, specifically LI, it looks like a disaster once you realize what you can buy elsewhere.

Did they hire the wrong builders? Because when I see 90% of the homes, I just want to look away. I think "omg, who would do this" - then again, maybe its my expectations that at fault as I was appalled by what I saw in Cali, Tx, Az, and lets not get into Europe (Germany, Norway, Poland, Spain, Greece, France) - wow 10 foot basement ceilings, 2-4000 sqft flats, made from local supplies - not china material, German 3 layer windows that make Andersen look like a joke from 1930; I mean I can keep going but we get the point. Talk about being "NY Tough" - as Cuomo would put it.

Even if we had a million dollars handed down to us, we'd have to build the the right home as what I see for sale, what people fight for here, would be considered a jail cell if not worse elsewhere. Who allowed for them to build this and how are people accepting this quality?
Most builders use UNDOCUMENTED workers, some of them could be very good, but not all......

Old 12-15-2020, 02:32 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
I understand high cost of living & overpriced. It's understandable or "arguable" when you have a home that is good - to pay a high-er price for it, but even if you had the money there is nothing to buy that is not atrocious.
I know the hamptons and eastern Long Island the best and many of those homes are beautiful imho. Not inexpensive, but I could find something to buy if I had a big budget. Maybe I’m not as picky.

Old 12-15-2020, 03:03 PM

66 posts, read 45,803 times
Quote:
When i bought my crap of a house here, I knew that this was just a pit stop. Still better than NYC, but now that I saw improvement, I was thinking maybe of improving from LI and going elsewhere, somewhere that has a future, somewhere where my kids can do well in.

LI has poor schools, poor colleges, poor job, you name it. I'd say we have worse beaches than MA and FL. MA is FL without the warmth but keeps the beauty and NY is like MA but without the beauty, but I'd argue it still better than the Carolina's.

Anywho, if I sell my house to some idiot for the market price these days, oh boy. I dont know what those folks see over here to throw 500k for a bag of garbage put over rotting 2x4's.

yep, I didn't realize how poor I was until I went to north texas and saw really nice master planned
communities that looked new because they were built in the 1990's. So I stopped to talk to a person
working on their front lawn and found out that the average person there has a house twice the size for half the price with property taxes one third of ours. He felt so sorry for me and made me realize that most of us
on Long Island live like dogs, it's just that some of us have bigger dog houses than others.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:12 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Hey the grass is always greener!!

Why would you stay here if you feel like LI is a total rip off? That makes no sense to me. There are a few posters on here who pulled the trigger and left and are happy. There are some who hate it and moved back. Brush up the resume and get the for sale sign up and make the move already!

Old 12-15-2020, 05:49 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
No one builds with chinese material. Lumber is all USA and Canada. Most joists today are going to be Pre fab I joists since you can run 40-50 ft w/o sistering. Most osb plywood is made in the state and Canada. Triple pan windows are a massive wast of $$. Windows are the biggest waste of $$ towards efficiency. Better off with a single pan window that’s is insulated properly. For 1m you could sure as hell build a insane house. New homes don’t even use 2x4 code is 2x6 exterior.

The older homes here are going away. Got on Plainview, syosset, East Meadow, hicksville, Bellmore, Merrick. New homes every where.

Are LI schools prob overrated, sure they aren’t poor and stony Brooke is a very good school.
Yep agreed. Same in my area, new homes are going up left and right.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:45 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yep agreed. Same in my area, new homes are going up left and right.
No such thing as a new home in my area. Always leave a few walls up so it's a "more than 50% alteration." Trying to beat the taxman! Funny but not so funny watching them turn a levitt slab w/ some sticks into a McMansion and avoid the bulk of the taxes. But def a lot of improvements going on. That's less of a sign of LI's worthiness than low interest rates and a strong stock market. I'm sure the HELOC's are flying off the shelves as usual.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:18 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
No such thing as a new home in my area. Always leave a few walls up so it's a "more than 50% alteration." Trying to beat the taxman! Funny but not so funny watching them turn a levitt slab w/ some sticks into a McMansion and avoid the bulk of the taxes. But def a lot of improvements going on. That's less of a sign of LI's worthiness than low interest rates and a strong stock market. I'm sure the HELOC's are flying off the shelves as usual.
Sometimes that’s the case by me, but lately I’ve been seeing lots of demos to a literal hole in the ground. Completely new construction by developers. Taxes on these new houses have got to be 25k +. Insane

Old 12-16-2020, 06:06 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Because people are brainwashed into believing LI is the Mecca of life, culture, and class.
The irony being that it has very little of any of those. At least not any more than most of the rest of the country (unless we define high class and culture to be cutting people off in traffic and pronouncing coffee like "cwahfee")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island