Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 05:02 PM

297 posts, read 196,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Today's building codes in NYC incorporate R-values of a building

Old houses are harder to keep warm unless they're attached or semi.
It's so easy to keep an old house warm(er)...

1. Rip off basement ceiling
2. Put rockwool on outer permitier in between beams.
3. Put foam in between rockwool and beams to fill in cracks.
4. Rip off sheetrock on 2nd floor or attick and do the same.
5. Replace american brand with european brands. Made in US but engineered elsewhere for the same price. Cant beat that.

Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 07:52 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
Ask me how I know everyone I know digs out a basement. No one wants 7 ft ceilings. There are digging tools that make life hell of a lot easier.

Newer homes are definately not better. Older homes are better and the newer ones, as hotkarl puts it, lipstick on pig.
It’s not lipstick on a pig when a foundation is poured new. And the old home is completely demolished. The homes that are flipped that got a new kitchen, bath and paint and have a 1940 foundation and a 100 amp panel sure this I agree with.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
It’s not lipstick on a pig when a foundation is poured new. And the old home is completely demolished. The homes that are flipped that got a new kitchen, bath and paint and have a 1940 foundation and a 100 amp panel sure this I agree with.
Depends on who does the new foundation. If you'd ask me to build or design it, I'd build it to civil expectations, not this "buy for 200k slap paint sell for 500k" crap that I see all over.

There was a guy who flipped a house in under 1 month and is asking a spread of 250k over last bought price. Can you believe that?

Old 12-17-2020, 07:26 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
It's so easy to keep an old house warm(er)...

1. Rip off basement ceiling
2. Put rockwool on outer permitier in between beams.
3. Put foam in between rockwool and beams to fill in cracks.
4. Rip off sheetrock on 2nd floor or attick and do the same.
5. Replace american brand with european brands. Made in US but engineered elsewhere for the same price. Cant beat that.

Bingo.
Can you provide sources for #5?

Old 12-17-2020, 07:30 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Depends on who does the new foundation. If you'd ask me to build or design it, I'd build it to civil expectations, not this "buy for 200k slap paint sell for 500k" crap that I see all over.

There was a guy who flipped a house in under 1 month and is asking a spread of 250k over last bought price. Can you believe that?
That’s not indicative of value, that’s just a flipper trying to make a profit.

A house across the street from me is in a similar situation. A flipper bought it as a foreclosure property in the $400’s, maybe put $50-100K tops into it and is trying to sell for high $700’s which is the typical selling price (these are 1 acre+ lots with 5000+ sq ft homes in a gated HOA community).

A lot of activity but no sale yet, despite other house selling quickly at much higher prices. Why? Poor design choices in the original house plus a cheap flip. Had the investor gutted and redone the bathrooms I think it would have easily sold in the $800’s by now.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Can you provide sources for #5?
There's too many to list.

KÖMMERLING 76
VEKA
NEUFFER

Plus a lot of small other brands, all at or lower price than garbo Andersen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island