Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 09:32 AM

297 posts, read 196,388 times

Advertisements

It's not just LI. It's NJ, Weschester, LI included.

I see homes in other parts of the country are almost as good as that of other countries, but here in the tri state area, specifically LI, it looks like a disaster once you realize what you can buy elsewhere.

Did they hire the wrong builders? Because when I see 90% of the homes, I just want to look away. I think "omg, who would do this" - then again, maybe its my expectations that at fault as I was appalled by what I saw in Cali, Tx, Az, and lets not get into Europe (Germany, Norway, Poland, Spain, Greece, France) - wow 10 foot basement ceilings, 2-4000 sqft flats, made from local supplies - not china material, German 3 layer windows that make Andersen look like a joke from 1930; I mean I can keep going but we get the point. Talk about being "NY Tough" - as Cuomo would put it.

Even if we had a million dollars handed down to us, we'd have to build the the right home as what I see for sale, what people fight for here, would be considered a jail cell if not worse elsewhere. Who allowed for them to build this and how are people accepting this quality?

Last edited by Punkster55; 12-15-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 3,159 times
This is why people are leaving the tri-state area in droves. Between the taxes, high cost of living, aged, overpriced, run-down inventory (or lack thereof!), the city creeping into the suburbs, the congestion, overreaching local ordinances, the traffic, the aggressive disposition of people, selfish drivers, I could go on. No place is perfect but all this for what it costs... why would I invest my life savings there.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypalms View Post
This is why people are leaving the tri-state area in droves. Between the taxes, high cost of living, aged, overpriced, run-down inventory (or lack thereof!), the city creeping into the suburbs, the congestion, overreaching local ordinances, the traffic, the aggressive disposition of people, selfish drivers, I could go on. No place is perfect but all this for what it costs... why would I invest my life savings there.
I understand high cost of living & overpriced. It's understandable or "arguable" when you have a home that is good - to pay a high-er price for it, but even if you had the money there is nothing to buy that is not atrocious.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
It's not just LI. It's NJ, Weschester, LI included.

I see homes in other parts of the country are almost as good as that of other countries, but here in the tri state area, specifically LI, it looks like a disaster once you realize what you can buy elsewhere.

Did they hire the wrong builders? Because when I see 90% of the homes, I just want to look away. I think "omg, who would do this" - then again, maybe its my expectations that at fault as I was appalled by what I saw in Cali, Tx, Az, and lets not get into Europe (Germany, Norway, Poland, Spain, Greece, France) - wow 10 foot basement ceilings, 2-4000 sqft flats, made from local supplies - not china material, German 3 layer windows that make Andersen look like a joke from 1930; I mean I can keep going but we get the point. Talk about being "NY Tough" - as Cuomo would put it.

Even if we had a million dollars handed down to us, we'd have to build the the right home as what I see for sale, what people fight for here, would be considered a jail cell if not worse elsewhere. Who allowed for them to build this and how are people accepting this quality?
I must be slumming it because I think my basement ceilings are only 9’. But that’s better than when I was on LI and my drop ceilings were short of 7’ in the basement.

You have to realize on LI that aside from Gold Coast custom houses many were seasonal or vacation properties, or built in smaller numbers with quality materials.

Post WWII there was a need for cheap and quick homes, a la Levittown, which has been called America’s First Suburb. So you get basic housing built to a price point.

Then you had more explosive growth through around 1970, at which time things slowed down. You can’t build in Nassau big developments anymore like you can elsewhere in the US.

The other challenge on LI is value. 2 years ago I bought a 20 year old custom home on 1 acre in one of the wealthiest areas of my state and paid under $100 a sq ft (which includes a completely finished basement as part of that number, otherwise around $125). You can’t build new in this area for under $150 now. On LI I doubt you can build under $200 or $250.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:01 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Yeah. Because I can’t wait to plop $700k on a total gut Reno and then pay 12k a year in taxes. Whatever it takes to live in the promise land of beaches and bagels.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yeah. Because I can’t wait to plop $700k on a total gut Reno and then pay 12k a year in taxes. Whatever it takes to live in the promise land of beaches and bagels.
Many other states and.... countries have done it, not just recently but for a long time now. So if there is something that makes LI different from the suburbs of Hong Kong, Frankfurt, Warsaw, Tuscon, Orlando, Paris different, please let me know.

LI checks off all of the boxes in similarity as to any other suburban area around a big city yet its housing stock is that of a tribal village in Africa. Explain that to me.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:04 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
...and pizza. Don’t forget the pizza!

Old 12-15-2020, 01:10 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Many other states and.... countries have done it, not just recently but for a long time now. So if there is something that makes LI different from the suburbs of Hong Kong, Frankfurt, Warsaw, Tuscon, Orlando, Paris different, please let me know.

LI checks off all of the boxes in similarity as to any other suburban area around a big city yet its housing stock is that of a tribal village in Africa. Explain that to me.
Because people are brainwashed into believing LI is the Mecca of life, culture, and class.
So they’ll work 70 hours a week plus 24 hours of commute time a week for the suburban dream.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:24 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,145 times
Quote:

It doesn't check off any of those boxes. LI is a nimby cult capital that is anti-development of any beneficial sort. God forbid anyone improves Hempstead Tpke, that would destroy Kate Murray's "unique suburban character" (ie, white trash dump in decline). The places you referenced all want to compete. They want vibrant economies. LI will always "want to be" a bedroom community of NYC. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a bedroom community anymore. You're either growing or you're in decline. High tech could come here (actually it already left) instead of LIC, Manhattan or Arlington, but they make it easy and welcoming. We make it onerous. LI prefers decline. As long as housing prices are up and sales are brisk, we pretend the economy is growing (outside the Hamptons). LIers think the economy is good when the house price is up and interest is low so they can use it as an ATM (HELOC). High tech startups? They went to Manhattan. Then when things tank as they often do, we throw free money at any developer with a hammer and nail and give them tax incentives and abatements that make real LIers cringe for the promise of a 1/2 dozen $40k jobs (that usually don't happen). BTW, homeowners have to pick up that tax loss. Classic.

Like Ricky Bobby said, "if ya aint first, yer last."

Old 12-15-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
It doesn't check off any of those boxes. LI is a nimby cult capital that is anti-development of any beneficial sort. God forbid anyone improves Hempstead Tpke, that would destroy Kate Murray's "unique suburban character" (ie, white trash dump in decline). The places you referenced all want to compete. They want vibrant economies. LI will always "want to be" a bedroom community of NYC. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a bedroom community anymore. You're either growing or you're in decline. High tech could come here (actually it already left) instead of LIC, Manhattan or Arlington, but they make it easy and welcoming. We make it onerous. LI prefers decline. As long as housing prices are up and sales are brisk, we pretend the economy is growing (outside the Hamptons). LIers think the economy is good when the house price is up and interest is low so they can use it as an ATM (HELOC). High tech startups? They went to Manhattan. Then when things tank as they often do, we throw free money at any developer with a hammer and nail and give them tax incentives and abatements that make real LIers cringe for the promise of a 1/2 dozen $40k jobs (that usually don't happen). BTW, homeowners have to pick up that tax loss. Classic.

Like Ricky Bobby said, "if ya aint first, yer last."
When i bought my crap of a house here, I knew that this was just a pit stop. Still better than NYC, but now that I saw improvement, I was thinking maybe of improving from LI and going elsewhere, somewhere that has a future, somewhere where my kids can do well in.

LI has poor schools, poor colleges, poor job, you name it. I'd say we have worse beaches than MA and FL. MA is FL without the warmth but keeps the beauty and NY is like MA but without the beauty, but I'd argue it still better than the Carolina's.

Anywho, if I sell my house to some idiot for the market price these days, oh boy. I dont know what those folks see over here to throw 500k for a bag of garbage put over rotting 2x4's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island