Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 07:46 PM

3,303 posts, read 2,387,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
The Federal minimum wage should have been adjusted yearly by the same % that SS uses. If that had been the case we would be at $14.21 today. The wage has been frozen for over 10 years. We are subsidizing small businesses at the expense of the working public. The poor just get poorer.
Not at all. A minimum wage is just that. The lowest amount of money that is legally allowed to prevent people from getting paid too little. Sorry, but if your job is to stack apples on a display, you should be getting $5 or $6/hr. That is all that job is worth. And minimum wage is never meant to support anyone. If they want to do that, they need to have experience, schooling or something today brings skilled value to the employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 08:38 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,050,561 times
Does the LI forum ever fail to deliver? I think not! Gaslight city.

I don't know if 15 is the right number, but the minimum wage should have been raised long ago. I imagine that there are some serious math nerds working this out, but that shouldn't stop crazy false equivalence and arse-inine conjecture. amirite

The man has been raising prices and making things smaller for decades... the chickens come home to roost. Pretty simple when everything has gotten exponentially more expensive since the last time the wage was touched. That part isn't hard math.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:39 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,548,890 times
Why not just universal income as our up & coming NYC Mayor Yang is suggesting? Plus thousands for each for COVID relief. I can’t wait until the “Free Healthcare for all” because everyone now has the potential of getting Covid! The government is responsible right? The path to socialized medicine in my opinion!

I love all those countries who get “Free Healthcare”. I believe Switzerland income tax is 45% But they got “Free” healthcare!

Yang:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/29/why-...-comeback.html

Old 03-02-2021, 08:50 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,592,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Speaking of completely anecdotal nonsense.....
Well, define anecdotal versus observational and then cast aspersions in my direction.

I shop in three different Targets on a regular basis; one is closest to my house and the one I visit 3-4 times per week (I prefer just-in-time shopping for our meals), one is where we do our weekly grocery shop (it keeps it's meats section stocked better than the first one) and the last is convenient to a popular outdoor shopping destination where my wife and I frequently wander to window shop and get some fresh air.

All three use a blend of cashier and self-service checkout features. Although there's the illusion that because there are multiple self-service checkout stations, that queue moves faster, my wife prefers using the cashier lines and is often through and bagged in the same or less time than if I'm on the self-service line (we finish at different times frequently, and I'd rather cash out and load the car while she finishes her shopping).

Also, walk into any Costco that offers self-service checkouts and my allegedly anecdotal comment becomes quantifiable as Costco tends to staff each station with a human to expedite the process. So clearly not a scheme to pay fewer people.

So there you have concrete examples observed in person, and multiple times over the past year. Not so anecdotal, and not second hand at all.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:03 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,548,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Well, define anecdotal versus observational and then cast aspersions in my direction.

I shop in three different Targets on a regular basis; one is closest to my house and the one I visit 3-4 times per week (I prefer just-in-time shopping for our meals), one is where we do our weekly grocery shop (it keeps it's meats section stocked better than the first one) and the last is convenient to a popular outdoor shopping destination where my wife and I frequently wander to window shop and get some fresh air.

All three use a blend of cashier and self-service checkout features. Although there's the illusion that because there are multiple self-service checkout stations, that queue moves faster, my wife prefers using the cashier lines and is often through and bagged in the same or less time than if I'm on the self-service line (we finish at different times frequently, and I'd rather cash out and load the car while she finishes her shopping).

Also, walk into any Costco that offers self-service checkouts and my allegedly anecdotal comment becomes quantifiable as Costco tends to staff each station with a human to expedite the process. So clearly not a scheme to pay fewer people.

So there you have concrete examples observed in person, and multiple times over the past year. Not so anecdotal, and not second hand at all.
People say automation will kill jobs. Well, there will always be a need for low entry level paying jobs. As far as automation taking over, we’ll think of the mid level CAREER jobs that creates. Just a few examples: computer programming, graphic design, machine repair, parts, machinery, regular maintenance, the list goes on.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:21 AM

2,476 posts, read 1,248,502 times
The real minimum wage is always zero.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:33 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,050,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Why not just universal income as our up & coming NYC Mayor Yang is suggesting? Plus thousands for each for COVID relief. I can’t wait until the “Free Healthcare for all” because everyone now has the potential of getting Covid! The government is responsible right? The path to socialized medicine in my opinion!

I love all those countries who get “Free Healthcare”. I believe Switzerland income tax is 45% But they got “Free” healthcare!

Yang:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/29/why-...-comeback.html
Tunnel vision... it's bad. We already have socialized medicine in this country. And I'm not talking just about Medi*** programs that are obviously socialized medicine. Do you pretend that those don't exist?

We could talk about safety net programs, HUD, etc, etc... the list goes on. But, let's stick strictly to medicine because you are focused there. There is a LAW in this country that hospitals cannot deny you treatment for not having insurance coverage, even in cases they KNOW you will not pay for the services you receive. People know this and use the ER as their primary doctor for everything. Guess who pays for those "Free" services, which are guaranteed by law? Shocked that rural hospitals are closing when they don't have any PAYING customers? Shocked that we get charged $63 for an aspirin when those of us who are insured actually do go to the hospital? We are subsidizing the "Free Healthcare" for the poor to use hospitals as their doctors. You either didn't know this or are intentionally being ignorant with your comments.

Healthcare in this country is BROKEN. Your comments about other countries that do not have the same issues as if they have it wrong is just pure tunnel vision where you judge everything by your pocketbook. Sure, countries with socialized medicine tax more, but they are happier and healthier overall. You think that's bad somehow because you get to pretend you have more money than someone in Switzerland. Well, sure do... UNTIL YOU OR YOUR FAMILY GET SICK. Then you are DONE in this country as you go bankrupt with doctor bills. You need to get a clue of the big picture.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:34 AM

2,476 posts, read 1,248,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

I love the way they do the lines in these stores now. One big long line that actually moves. No jockeying for position, no trying to guess who will pull out a checkbook, no sneaking on the express lines with too many items. But then why pay someone 15 bucks an hour to stand around and point people to registers.

Frankly who is the Fed Gov't to tell me how much I can sell my labor for. If I want to run around in the parking lot collecting carts for 8 bucks an hour I should be able to.

Something tells me that all the 15 dollar and hour folks, never had to worry about making payroll.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:39 AM

20,326 posts, read 21,070,057 times
It’s pandering. And continued brain melting.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:42 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,953,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
It’s all about the shareholders. You want your retirement accounts to go down 50% because labor rates went up 100% ?
Consider the 2 schools of thought re: 'shareholder value' that have existed side by side since at least the early 70s:

Making Sense Of Shareholder Value: 'The World's Dumbest Idea'

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede...h=7f2d9dcc2a7e

What are the long term effects of favoring one over the other for the past several decades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: