Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 09:06 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,902,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
We have open borders now, so plenty of illegals for business owners to exploit and pay off the books sub-minimal wage.
I know you don’t deal with Central American illegals but, their day rates went through the roof during the last 4 years. These guys are making $25/hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 09:15 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,565,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I know you don’t deal with Central American illegals but, their day rates went through the roof during the last 4 years. These guys are making $25/hr.

Capitalism at work.
It should not be up to the federal government to decide.
But I'm assuming even $25/hr is exploitation compared to employing a legal worker.
I'm assuming you are in contracting so big demand.
But those illegal bus boys will not be making $15/hr.

And the great economy in the past 4 years due to Trump, trickling down to everyone even exploited illegals.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:28 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,468,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommutinJoe View Post
Why not? They can actually start meaningful savings for college. Taxpayers won’t have to entertain a bailout of $50k per student. An hour of labor is an hour of labor regardless of who is performing it. $7.25 minimum wage is a joke and the burden falls on taxpayers, not the employers, to make up for it with food stamps, subsidies, student debt relief, etc. Determined college students can spend more time earning a decent wage than partying if they want to be debt free. Those that don’t want to work can carry the debt they incurred.
The prob with raising the minimum wage is that the more comfortable it makes someone be able to live on, the more they’re willing to stay put. There’s nothing wrong with these type jobs but there’s not a whole lot of incentive for ppl to “better themselves” if they are living just fine.

Im not wishing for ppl to struggle, but struggling a bit would force more ppl to maybe seek out a better education or higher paying job.

Im not talking so much about a high schooler but more like adults who do these jobs.

If someone is comfortable and doing just fine the way they are why would they leave?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Capitalism at work.
It should not be up to the federal government to decide.
But I'm assuming even $25/hr is exploitation compared to employing a legal worker.
I'm assuming you are in contracting so big demand.
But those illegal bus boys will not be making $15/hr.

And the great economy in the past 4 years due to Trump, trickling down to everyone even exploited illegals.
I was hoping to go to Home Depot and it not looking like a place to pick up illegal workers. I was hoping that the American worker would get a fat increase in pay. What I got was price gouged on materials and unemployment numbers that make Obama look godly. At least rich doctors got to keep more of their money but, many have to fear for their lives due to a huge spike in hate crimes toward Asians.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:45 AM

20,321 posts, read 21,152,916 times
Quote:
Plus lunch!
They got some racket going on.
They’re like a mini-mafia.
Price fixing and such.
If they want $25/hour and one dude takes something for less, he is cancelled.
Quite literally.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The prob with raising the minimum wage is that the more comfortable it makes someone be able to live on, the more they’re willing to stay put. There’s nothing wrong with these type jobs but there’s not a whole lot of incentive for ppl to “better themselves” if they are living just fine.

Im not wishing for ppl to struggle, but struggling a bit would force more ppl to maybe seek out a better education or higher paying job.

Im not talking so much about a high schooler but more like adults who do these jobs.

If someone is comfortable and doing just fine the way they are why would they leave?
Wouldn’t that benefit business owners who have good employees?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:48 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,565,140 times
Quote:
I was hoping to go to Home Depot and it not looking like a place to pick up illegal workers. I was hoping that the American worker would get a fat increase in pay. What I got was price gouged on materials and unemployment numbers that make Obama look godly. At least rich doctors got to keep more of their money but, many have to fear for their lives due to a huge spike in hate crimes toward Asians.

Well, at least you get to continue to personally profit by exploiting your illegal day workers.

No meth head native long islander is going to put shingles on a roof for $25/hr.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Plus lunch!
They got some racket going on.
They’re like a mini-mafia.
Price fixing and such.
If they want $25/hour and one dude takes something for less, he is cancelled.
Quite literally.
Cash money that mostly goes back to the homeland.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Well, at least you get to continue to personally profit by exploiting your illegal day workers.

No meth head native long islander is going to put shingles on a roof for $25/hr.
I have a union job. I don’t condone all these contractors, mostly republicans, using illegals as their workforce. It’s bad news. Is there a lot of meth use on LI, doc?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:54 AM

20,321 posts, read 21,152,916 times
Quote:
Cash money that mostly goes back to the homeland.
100% fact
I’ve worked with hundreds of these guys over the years.
Every last one of them sent money “home”.
Or, save every penny they can and go “home” with big American dollars and live like a king in their homeland.
People are cheap and selfish, they’ll hire these guys “on the side” for cash at a cheaper rate than paying a legit business. Then these guys just ferret the cash. They don’t pay tax or claim a single penny of it. But they’ll sure make good use of whatever tax payer funded program they can, and even though they’re “undocumented” this stupid country still takes care of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: