Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks13 View Post
Many Manhattanites have vacation homes on the north and south fork. I know very few Manhattanites who choose vacation homes on the Jersey shore or in Westchester or thereabouts.
Westchester is pretty but a river and trees is not the same as the ocean or Long Island Sound. The commute to NYC is easier however for families in Westchester.
True, but LI will have both Penn and GCT terminus' in the near future. That would be a plus for LI. Would love to see the downtown connection someday to WTC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:22 PM

100 posts, read 530,327 times
I grew up in Westchester so I'll offer some points:

First of all both places are great.

I've noticed with my own family members that those who who grew up in Queens eventually ended up on the Island. People who grew up in the Bronx ended up in Westchester. Not in every case, but the borders of those areas touch and in the 1950s many people migrated to what was closer to their original location.

I love LI for its beaches, Montauk, the Hamptons. Its a great place. But its a traffic nightmare and a good deal bigger then Westchester so its harder to get around. I'm a musician and a Friday night gig on the Island was always a big PITA, epescially if it was on the North Shore. Still, I always loved going out there!

The LIRR, which services Long Island Commuters, is the largest commuter rail in the country. Metro-North, which services Westchester and parts of CT is the second largest. The LIRR runs to Penn Station and the trains get very crowded. Metro-North runs out of Grand Central and its not as bad and of course you have the option of living in CT as well. One thing I noticed when riding the LIRR is that when you go home in the evening they don't tell you the track number until about two minutes before the train leaves, I guess to make it fair for everyone to get a seat since there are so many commuters (don't know if this has changed; its been a while since I've ridden on the LIRR). On a train from GCT you'll know about 1/2 an hour before and can start boarding about twenty minutes before. Even with that a train to Westchester can be SRO. Once they connect GCT to Penn (which they've been talking about for years) many new opportunities will open up for commuting.

Westchester is definitely thought of as more quaint and upperclass. It definitely has more of that old architectural look to some of its communities. The thing I loved most about it growing up there was its character.

Both are damned expensive, thats for sure.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:23 PM

87 posts, read 270,541 times
Default When will that be?

When will there be a GCT terminus?
Too bad they couldn't build a bridge or tunnel to Connecticut but I guess that will never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
True, but LI will have both Penn and GCT terminus' in the near future. That would be a plus for LI. Would love to see the downtown connection someday to WTC.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 PM

LIRR to GCT:
MTA Capital Construction - East Side Access

Proposed Tunnel to Westchester (Rye):
MTA Capital Construction - East Side Access

Old 05-16-2008, 10:48 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default Accessiblity is the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
WHile there are some middle class, nice areas like in Yonkers, I think LI is much more mixed. I like Westchester as well as Fairfield County.

The thing I'm not sure about...be it business or residence, why is LI not really mentioned as a place that NYC folk would move to. It's always Westchester, Fairfield, even JERSEY. I love the small businesses on LI, but it would be nice to have some more major companies here. .
If a business is to come to this region, then choosing Long Island is often last on the list for a few reasons. First, logistics. If you require transport, although JFK and Laguardia are here, the supply chain is much easier for any product once you are west of the Hudson. At that point in north jersey for example, you have the port, the airport and a tremendous amount of distribution points without needing to get across the bridges and tunnels that LI requires. Second, the workforce. If you select Westchester, NYC or even Jersey you have more workforce options. In Jersey for example, if you choose an area like Morristown you can draw from parts of the city (Manhattan, Bronx, even Staten Island - Southern Connecticut, Rockland, all of Central and northern jersey and PA. With a company on long island you can draw from the city and Westchester/CT up until a certain point east, then you become limited to a degree to just the workforce options on the island. Third, the expense. In order to relocate folks and/or keep them in a region LI requires significant coin without the option of somebody driving in from CT, PA or Jersey. It is mostly Long Island residency or you simply to do not work for a company based here. This limits housing options for those who might need or want the option of cheaper housing (think PA to Jersey for example).

Having conducted these mergers and relocations myself, and working now for my second large Long Island company, that has been my business experience. The solution in my opinion is to make the region more appealing from a marketing standpoint and make it into a region that talented employees would seek and want to be; then the workforce and cost issues become less of a constraint.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
If a business is to come to this region, then choosing Long Island is often last on the list for a few reasons. First, logistics. If you require transport, although JFK and Laguardia are here, the supply chain is much easier for any product once you are west of the Hudson. At that point in north jersey for example, you have the port, the airport and a tremendous amount of distribution points without needing to get across the bridges and tunnels that LI requires. Second, the workforce. If you select Westchester, NYC or even Jersey you have more workforce options. In Jersey for example, if you choose an area like Morristown you can draw from parts of the city (Manhattan, Bronx, even Staten Island - Southern Connecticut, Rockland, all of Central and northern jersey and PA. With a company on long island you can draw from the city and Westchester/CT up until a certain point east, then you become limited to a degree to just the workforce options on the island. Third, the expense. In order to relocate folks and/or keep them in a region LI requires significant coin without the option of somebody driving in from CT, PA or Jersey. It is mostly Long Island residency or you simply to do not work for a company based here. This limits housing options for those who might need or want the option of cheaper housing (think PA to Jersey for example).

Having conducted these mergers and relocations myself, and working now for my second large Long Island company, that has been my business experience. The solution in my opinion is to make the region more appealing from a marketing standpoint and make it into a region that talented employees would seek and want to be; then the workforce and cost issues become less of a constraint.

I agree. What would you suggest to make it more attractive?

Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,484 times
This is a personal decision. I like visiting W. But prefer living on LI. Keep in mind that beaches and parks are all on LI. Also people are more middle class that are much better to get along with. If you prefer not to speak to your neigbors and have plenty of time to get to beaches parks, etc than W may be better. I also have to say that if the choice is middle of Island I would pass. I happen to have lived all over both the world and NY and would rather move to NJ than W.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,664 times
I grew up on Long Island but am now planning to move to Westchester. The main reasons I chose Westchester is that overall there are better scoring schools, the train ride is faster and more scenic and driving is easier. You also can bypass NYC easier when you go on vacations. The northern portion of Westchester near the Hudson, where I am looking, has more outdoor activities. There are scenic bike trails that cross bridges over lakes and have views of the Hudson and the mountains. There are waterfalls and large parks on the river and in the foot hills. I'll miss some of the things that I can get on Long Island such as access to Fire Island and the North Fork but I think the only portion of Long Island that compares to most of Westchester is the Gold Coast.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:12 PM

85 posts, read 315,296 times
LMAO!!! WHY DO THEY MOST TO WESTCHESTER INSTEAD OF LONG ISLAND LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! Well if you wana pay $1000 a month in property taxes, have traffic everyday, nasty bitchy Long Island snobs that are so beat down finacially that there ready to snap at any second, and the most boring scenery ever come to long island. Hey the homes are only $375,000 for a piece of ****, to 1,000,000 for something decent, its a great PLACE TO GO BROKE IN AND LOOSE eVERYTHING YOU EVER OWNED!!! GREAT PLACE TO GO BANKRUPT, then when your kids grow up if you can even afford to have ONE, YOUR KIDS WILL HATE YOU CAUSE THEY WON"T BE ABLE TO AFFORD THERE OWN PLACE EVEN WITH YOUR HELP!!! LONG ISLAND IS FOR THE RICH, AND IF YOUR NOT.... well then.... U SUFFER LIKE THE REST OF THE HARD WORKING MIDDLE CLASS THAT CAN"T EVEN MAKE ENDS MEET!!! LETS LONG ISLAND DROWN IN ITS OWN SORROW, AND START A NEW LIFE UPSTATE!!! OR ANYWERE IN THE COUNTRY EXCEPT FOR NEW YORK!! THE LONGER YOU STAY IN NEW YORK THE EARLIER YOU"LL DIE!! HYPERTENSION, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, NO fiNGERNAILS, AND THE CONSTANT FEELING THAT YOU HAVE NO ****ING MONEY...... I make $600 a week take home sometimes, and I LIVE IN A ****"N BASEMENT..... Hey you can live cheap in the 5 boro's with roach's and rats everywhere and a smell that you will wana throw up, but hey its cheaper..... NEW YORK IS A SCAM IN A HALF or like a CANCER. IT GETS WORSE IF ITS NOT TREATED AND THE ONLY WAY TO TREAT NEW YORK SICKNESS IS TO MOVE OUT ASAP!!!!! UP YOURS HILLARY, UP YOURS BLOOMBERG AND THE ENTIRE NYPD WHO GIVE PARKING TICKETS LIKE THERE FREE LOLLYPOPS, and TAKE THE DAY"S PAY AWAY FROM THOUSANDS OF NEW YORKERS SO THE GOV"T CAN USE IT TO GIVE TO THERE OWN FAMILY"S AND WHATEVER ELSE THEY USE THE STOLEN MONEY FOR...... ROT IN HELL NEW YORK....

Old 09-05-2008, 03:38 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolisticMedicalCannabis View Post
LMAO!!! WHY DO THEY MOST TO WESTCHESTER INSTEAD OF LONG ISLAND LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! Well if you wana pay $1000 a month in property taxes, have traffic everyday, nasty bitchy Long Island snobs that are so beat down finacially that there ready to snap at any second, and the most boring scenery ever come to long island. Hey the homes are only $375,000 for a piece of ****, to 1,000,000 for something decent, its a great PLACE TO GO BROKE IN AND LOOSE eVERYTHING YOU EVER OWNED!!! GREAT PLACE TO GO BANKRUPT, then when your kids grow up if you can even afford to have ONE, YOUR KIDS WILL HATE YOU CAUSE THEY WON"T BE ABLE TO AFFORD THERE OWN PLACE EVEN WITH YOUR HELP!!! LONG ISLAND IS FOR THE RICH, AND IF YOUR NOT.... well then.... U SUFFER LIKE THE REST OF THE HARD WORKING MIDDLE CLASS THAT CAN"T EVEN MAKE ENDS MEET!!! LETS LONG ISLAND DROWN IN ITS OWN SORROW, AND START A NEW LIFE UPSTATE!!! OR ANYWERE IN THE COUNTRY EXCEPT FOR NEW YORK!! THE LONGER YOU STAY IN NEW YORK THE EARLIER YOU"LL DIE!! HYPERTENSION, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, NO fiNGERNAILS, AND THE CONSTANT FEELING THAT YOU HAVE NO ****ING MONEY...... I make $600 a week take home sometimes, and I LIVE IN A ****"N BASEMENT..... Hey you can live cheap in the 5 boro's with roach's and rats everywhere and a smell that you will wana throw up, but hey its cheaper..... NEW YORK IS A SCAM IN A HALF or like a CANCER. IT GETS WORSE IF ITS NOT TREATED AND THE ONLY WAY TO TREAT NEW YORK SICKNESS IS TO MOVE OUT ASAP!!!!! UP YOURS HILLARY, UP YOURS BLOOMBERG AND THE ENTIRE NYPD WHO GIVE PARKING TICKETS LIKE THERE FREE LOLLYPOPS, and TAKE THE DAY"S PAY AWAY FROM THOUSANDS OF NEW YORKERS SO THE GOV"T CAN USE IT TO GIVE TO THERE OWN FAMILY"S AND WHATEVER ELSE THEY USE THE STOLEN MONEY FOR...... ROT IN HELL NEW YORK....
Where's the "remove rep points" button when I need it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island