Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
That does seem high. But if its a older leaky home with and older system it could be right. Remember to clean your oil nozzles before every season!
Yearly maintainence for oil systems is a must.......it more than pays for itself!

Nat gas should be every other year but keep the area clean.

FYI if you do any sheetrock work in a house over the year, get your system cleaned. Its amazing how much of the spackle dust ends up in your boiler system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:16 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Yearly maintainence for oil systems is a must.......it more than pays for itself!

Nat gas should be every other year but keep the area clean.

FYI if you do any sheetrock work in a house over the year, get your system cleaned. Its amazing how much of the spackle dust ends up in your boiler system.
How much does it cost to get a gas boiler serviced?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
It should not be more than $150. I know its also wrapped up in the service plan Keyspan offers.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Alexei...try it is almost $80 a foot thereafter. Insane!
Oh yeah....baaaaaad typo...I meant $70 a foot!

Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
As KB said there is not much to clean with gas. I know our service techs here only clena their own gas fired furnaces once every 2 to 3 years. You can find a service tech to do it on the side for $75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
How much does it cost to get a gas boiler serviced?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
In recent weeks, it's been the price strength in heating oil/diesel fuel, not so much the price strength in gasoline, that has pushed crude oil prices higher.

As of yesterday's (Thursday, May 8) close, wholesale heating was at a new market high of $3.50-98/100 a gallon, while natural gas was at $11.26-30/100 per mmBtu.

Anyone can easily monitor the wholesale heating oil, natural gas, gasoline and crude oil regular session futures prices on the New York Mercantile Exchange (because these prices are available at no charge, they come with a 30-minute delay) by going to:

Heating Oil futures prices:
futuresource.com | Futures & Commodities Custom Quotes

Natural Gas futures prices:

Gasoline futures prices:

Crude Oil futures prices:

Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Windows and doors tend not to play as big as a role as you may think in energy conservation. Alot of money for little return, other than getting a nice new door or window.
Depends on the window and doors, speaking only for my situation.

We have a huge 8x10 front window that's 80+ years old, absolutely beautiful, but only a single panes of glass. I can't get anything remotely as beautiful to replace it. I use very heavy curtains on the window to mitigate heat loss.

We replaced the two old front doors, French wood, true divided lights and the temperature difference in the rooms the doorways were in was remarkable.

Bear in mind my home is an old summer home converted to year round use; the original owners were more concerned with keeping cool than keeping warm

Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
I have two drafty windows in my bedroom, this winter I bought those sealer kits from Home Depot, where you put the plastic over the window then run the hairdryer over it. The plastic sticks to the window and keeps the drafts out. I think it really helped. Curtains covered it anyway.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I have two drafty windows in my bedroom, this winter I bought those sealer kits from Home Depot, where you put the plastic over the window then run the hairdryer over it. The plastic sticks to the window and keeps the drafts out. I think it really helped. Curtains covered it anyway.
I have used those in my other place. The way the window is built here, I would have to put the adhesive on the trim and fear damaging the finish.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 PM

100 posts, read 374,496 times
Get a wood pellet stove, they are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island