Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 09:55 AM

63 posts, read 39,835 times

Advertisements

I saw somewhere that Sears in the Sunrise Mall has closed
Did they close for good?
Its news to me because i was just there about a week ago
The store has been going downhill recently
But there didnt seem to be any sign of the store closing soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 10:21 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,413,665 times
They just closed the store a few days ago. Eventually all the Sears stores will close as this franchise is just a shell of it's former self. Anything you could get at Sears you can get elsewhere. There was no reason for anyone to shop there anymore.

Old 10-08-2021, 03:34 PM

Yeah they must have pulled a fast one because there wasnt even any clearance signs or anything just about a week ago
The Massapequa store has been going way downhill in the past few years
There was this undercover security guard who was infamous for harassing people
Which for a struggling company like Sears was terrible for business
I was very suprised when Hicksville closed
Hicksville seemed to always be the biggest/best stocked
I thought for sure Hicksville was going to be the last Sears standing on the island

The worst thing Sears did was stop the catalog
I guess at the time they figured no one really ordered from catalogs anymore
Just a few years too little too late - little did they know almost everyone mail orders things now
Yet another thing ruined by corporate greed

Old 10-08-2021, 05:43 PM

1,184 posts, read 722,712 times
I remember the McDonald's in the Hicksville Sears? Ahh God old days

Old 10-08-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
I remember the McDonald's in the Hicksville Sears? Ahh God old days
As a DIYer - Hicksville was always my go to for appliances and tools
Their auto shop was good as well
Garden City also had a decent food court but the parking garage there was a bit of a pain at times
Leave it to a fool from Long Island to ruin a once incredible company

Old 10-08-2021, 07:41 PM

20,190 posts, read 20,975,450 times
I met Leonard Nimoy at Hicksville Sears at an autograph signing thing. Probably mid 70’s?
One of the greatest moments of my young life. I remember him smoking in the store, at the table. Along with a bunch of other people. Ah the good ole days…

Old 10-09-2021, 07:08 AM

1,773 posts, read 3,244,313 times
the Sears Hicksville store was featured in a book written in the eighties "The Big Store" , written by a former employee there.
At that time, the Hicksville store was one of the most profitable in the nation.
Nobody stays on top forever.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:54 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,413,665 times
I have fond memories of the Hicksville store with the McDonald's inside. My dad bought all of his tools from there and so did I back when I needed my own. The Craftsman brand was synonymous with American made quality. Their tool chests, lawnmowers and power equipment was also top tier. But then they did the unspeakable.

They outsourced their Craftsman tools to China. No longer were those quality tools produced here with craftsmanship. It was the same quality as the Huskey or Harbor freights Pittsburgh line. On top of that they sold their Craftsman power tool line to Black and Decker who is a bottom teir manufacturer. All because they could save money and this tarnished their reputation.

I know I've said this before but it so frustrating seeing a once proud American staple slowly sink into the ground. So many stupid decisions made by incompetent people leading the company.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I have fond memories of the Hicksville store with the McDonald's inside. My dad bought all of his tools from there and so did I back when I needed my own. The Craftsman brand was synonymous with American made quality. Their tool chests, lawnmowers and power equipment was also top tier. But then they did the unspeakable.

They outsourced their Craftsman tools to China. No longer were those quality tools produced here with craftsmanship. It was the same quality as the Huskey or Harbor freights Pittsburgh line. On top of that they sold their Craftsman power tool line to Black and Decker who is a bottom teir manufacturer. All because they could save money and this tarnished their reputation.

I know I've said this before but it so frustrating seeing a once proud American staple slowly sink into the ground. So many stupid decisions made by incompetent people leading the company.
I wouldnt go as far to say that Stanley/Black and Decker are as bad as Harbor freight
But the new Craftsman certainly isnt what Craftsman was once known for

Craftsman lawnmowers arent so bad still
They have Briggs or Honda engines

Old 10-09-2021, 01:22 PM

1,773 posts, read 3,244,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post

If you had any issue with the old Craftsman tools, Sears backed them up and did the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island