Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 07:04 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,157,821 times

Advertisements

Remember, you can ASK what ever you want when you sell, actually getting what you ask may be a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 07:16 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
So a family friend of my girlfriend..... his wife and 2 kids are in the market for a house. They are coming from Queens but want to stay semi-close to the city bc he works in Manhattan and she drives to the Bronx every day for work.

They are looking at a new construction in Elmont and they sent me the Zillow link and when I saw what they were asking I almost dropped dead. A million dollars!? In Elmont!? Are these real estate agents kidding?

Elmont borders Cambria heights, Valley stream and Queens village....all not so great areas, and Elmont itself isn't great either, nor is the school district.

I told them they're nuts and there is much better areas around Elmont with better schools. Floral park, Bellerose, New hyde park, even Franklin square or West hempstead. They may not get new construction there but still......on Zillow says taxes are $7500 but that seems low for a new construction in Nassau.

What do you guys think? Worth it? Or look in a different town for maybe a fixer upper for 600k?

Here's the link:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...31183751_zpid/
Is this even true? I ask given that Elmont Memorial High having favorable academic stats and a 6 figure median household income, Cambria Heights has essentially a 6 figure median household income and Valley Stream has generally good school stats and a 6 figure median household income. Not wondering if they are perfect, but if they aren’t as bad as stated in the post or are solid.

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/profi...00000US3624273
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000049237

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/profi...00000US3676705
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000049260

Cambria Heights income information: https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...dePreview=true

Housing down there is crazy anyway. So, I’m not surprised about that.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-09-2021 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-09-2021, 10:18 AM

690 posts, read 586,451 times
IMO income has nothing to do with it. As a prior resident of FS, the area is declining rapidly. Elmont has a certain element, that tends to be undesirable. Go to the Home Depot in Elmont, and look around, the parking lot is filthy, no one speaks English, bums panhandling. Personally, I wouldn't spend a million dollars (or even close to it), and want to deal with that. Not to mention the horrific traffic in the area, that is only going to get worse with the new stadium. I'm talking 25 minutes to go a mile down Hempstead turnpike at noon on a weekday.

With all that being said, this is only my opinion. Everyone is different, and willing to tolerate, or look past different things. If a buyer is coming from downtown Brooklyn, they may think Elmont is beautiful. To each their own.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:33 AM

426 posts, read 961,278 times
This is all true, Floral park (esp Floral park village) by the train station is overwhelmingly white and I can see how an Indian or minority/ Caribbean family would feel out of place there.

New hyde park is expensive also and it has now a large Indian and Asian population which is moving in from Queens too.

Franklin Square is definitely on the decline, like the other poster said go to the Home Depot in that area (the Elmont one) and it looks like a third world country. Valley stream too....Valley stream HS is ok but has anyone been to Green Acres mall lately? Looks like a shanty town in Brazil.

They have kids and schools are important to them so I'm not sure how the Elmont SD is compared to others in the area (Franklin square, Flora park, etc).....I know New hyde park has a good district though.

Old 10-09-2021, 01:08 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,936 times
New construction built in 1951? It must be the same house, rebuilt because the taxes don't look like new construction taxes.

Driving to the Bronx from LI rang my alarm bell. This will not be an easy or pleasant scenario. I think they'd be better off moving to Southern Westchester or the Riverdale area.

Old 10-09-2021, 01:46 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,273,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
New construction built in 1951? It must be the same house, rebuilt because the taxes don't look like new construction taxes.

Driving to the Bronx from LI rang my alarm bell. This will not be an easy or pleasant scenario. I think they'd be better off moving to Southern Westchester or the Riverdale area.
I do not know the details but if you basically tear down a house you can build an almost totally new house - as long as you keep one old wall from the old house - it counts as a renovation instead of new construction. Big difference in taxes I believe. I would not even consider a new house right now on Long Island because of the taxation problem.

Did anyone else hear this about renovation or can confirm it?

Old 10-09-2021, 01:59 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,243,878 times
This was the property in 2020 from land records. https://lrv.nassaucountyny.gov/info/32720++00220/

The tax record still indicate a one story house with 1200 sq ft. of livable area.; 1 bathroom. Since the tax/assessment records still show the original one story house, I wonder if the proper permits were pulled. Nothing in the tax records indicate any renovation. However, the Fair Market Value increased from $228k in 2019 t0 $442k in 2021.

Old 10-09-2021, 02:46 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
$1M on a flip in Elmont? No thanks. If I had a mil to spend it would be on the best house I could afford in the best area. Period.

Old 10-09-2021, 02:47 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I do not know the details but if you basically tear down a house you can build an almost totally new house - as long as you keep one old wall from the old house - it counts as a renovation instead of new construction. Big difference in taxes I believe. I would not even consider a new house right now on Long Island because of the taxation problem.

Did anyone else hear this about renovation or can confirm it?
That's not true anymore. The towns caught on to that scheme. I'm guessing this flipper didn't find that out till he built this thing and hasn't closed the permit so the taxes haven't caught up.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:19 PM

1,277 posts, read 569,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
This was the property in 2020 from land records. https://lrv.nassaucountyny.gov/info/32720++00220/

The tax record still indicate a one story house with 1200 sq ft. of livable area.; 1 bathroom. Since the tax/assessment records still show the original one story house, I wonder if the proper permits were pulled. Nothing in the tax records indicate any renovation. However, the Fair Market Value increased from $228k in 2019 t0 $442k in 2021.
The tax assessment is separate from Building Permits. Town of Hempstead handles the building permits, Nassau County assesses tax levy. TOH doesn't necessarily communicate new permits to the County; they just reassess as they get around to it.

In other municipalities, the building department and tax assessment may be under the same roof, so these things would happen faster. Nassau County always has to be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island