Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 01:03 PM

551 posts, read 1,580,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Its been on the market for nearly 5 months. Has real estate cooled down there, or is it just over priced?
There is no way the flipper is netting anything like $500-$600k on this. This was a total knockdown, and new garage.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_37617274/

Given that this was just purchased last fall, I suspect that was put on the market long before the construction was done, which is hard to sell and may be reflected in time on market.

Pricing is what it is. Perhaps the neighborhood is not for you. The listing was viewed nearly 5,000 times and saved over 200 times. But if (maybe big if) something like this is worth $800k, you can judge for yourself what the new construction is worth.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...31177052_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 06:39 PM

29 posts, read 24,522 times
This forum has gotten soft, I came here expecting a lot more racism.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:16 PM

909 posts, read 1,842,447 times
The house will sell. Close to asking price.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:25 PM

94,157 posts, read 125,007,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
My point was that Carey is in line with Elmont, which it is, when you look at graduation rates, I believe elmont is 2% less. Based off graduation rate data above, it would appear NHP is in decline as well, specifically in comparison to Herricks. That's unarguable IMO.

Again, as I said in initial post, this is all my opinion. I have zero horse in this race as well, as I no longer live anywhere on the island, where people justify the asinine taxes for "great schools". Again, tying it back to a million dollar home in Elmont, with what's most likely going to be $25k+ in taxes, for a subpar school, in a subpar, run down town.

I would also look at other sites besides NYSED. I mean, they obviously have no horse in this race either!?
In terms of NYSED, it is just the state department of education and I believe school districts can get penalized for reporting incorrect information. Other sites just create their own criteria in terms of ratings.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:47 AM

690 posts, read 589,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of NYSED, it is just the state department of education and I believe school districts can get penalized for reporting incorrect information. Other sites just create their own criteria in terms of ratings.
Sort of how Cuomo got penalized for reporting false nursing home deaths? Penalized by who? Thank you for the information, but I don't wholeheartedly trust any data coming directly from this state. No oversight or accountability whatsoever.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:42 AM

94,157 posts, read 125,007,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
Sort of how Cuomo got penalized for reporting false nursing home deaths? Penalized by who? Thank you for the information, but I don't wholeheartedly trust any data coming directly from this state. No oversight or accountability whatsoever.
It doesn’t work like that, as it is reported by the school/district. While we all can have opinions, the information has to be correct and if not, I believe there are actual repercussions for giving incorrect information. This is different from the housing price, but the fact that that Elmont Memorial HS’s information isn’t trusted is “interesting”.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It doesn’t work like that, as it is reported by the school/district. While we all can have opinions, the information has to be correct and if not, I believe there are actual repercussions for giving incorrect information. This is different from the housing price, but the fact that that Elmont Memorial HS’s information isn’t trusted is “interesting”.
Again, repercussions from whom? Who oversees this? I'm sure no numbers or statistics are ever fudged. We agree, to disagree. This does not pertain to Elmont Memorial HS specifically, but to NY state as a whole.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:20 AM

426 posts, read 962,924 times
Interesting because I always thought Floral park was a good area, esp the areas east towards Stewart manor and north by the village and train station. So I always thought the FP school district (Carey) was very good. Certainly better than Elmont and NHP but I suppose not anymore.

However since it is so close to Queens and borders some sketchy areas maybe it's changed in the last 10 years.

As for the house, the person is interested and yes they do drive to the Bronx for work but they are police officers so they go off hours. They work 3pm to 11pm so they don't hit much traffic. The wife works in Manhattan but she usually takes the train. I suppose since there is no station in Elmont she would take it from Floral park or Bellerose station?

Old 10-12-2021, 09:21 AM

8,009 posts, read 9,220,467 times
Carey is the high school for Franklin Square. Floral Park either goes to Floral Park Memorial or Sewanhaka High School.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Interesting because I always thought Floral park was a good area, esp the areas east towards Stewart manor and north by the village and train station. So I always thought the FP school district (Carey) was very good. Certainly better than Elmont and NHP but I suppose not anymore.

However since it is so close to Queens and borders some sketchy areas maybe it's changed in the last 10 years.

As for the house, the person is interested and yes they do drive to the Bronx for work but they are police officers so they go off hours. They work 3pm to 11pm so they don't hit much traffic. The wife works in Manhattan but she usually takes the train. I suppose since there is no station in Elmont she would take it from Floral park or Bellerose station?
There is a new LIRR station at Belmont, I believe it is opening shortly, if not already, and should be full time. I'm sure others on here can confirm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island