Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 03:22 PM

60 posts, read 46,855 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone, I have heard of one reinfection in my town. Very mild symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 04:42 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Nearly two years of mask wearing, forced social distancing, home schooling, work from home, limited travel, etc. may have resulted in the local population being less capable of fighting off a cold.
WOW LOL - this is the same logic that one shouldn't believe in evolution because you can't see it happening... hundreds of thousands of years humans have been on earth... 2 years isn't even the tiniest blip.

It's staggering to think how many people think like this because of what they are being blasted with on social media... amazing.

Old 11-23-2021, 04:16 AM

5,831 posts, read 2,953,110 times
I know a coworkers father died even though he was vaccinated. Sporty guy too, did marathons.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:01 AM

974 posts, read 1,413,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
WOW LOL - this is the same logic that one shouldn't believe in evolution because you can't see it happening... hundreds of thousands of years humans have been on earth... 2 years isn't even the tiniest blip.

It's staggering to think how many people think like this because of what they are being blasted with on social media... amazing.
Your post doesn't make any sense.

If you limit a human being's exposure to viruses over a two year period their antibodies/immunity to these viruses will wain. Why do you think people are being urged to get the COVID booster shot? But according to you two years isn't even the tiniest blip - nothing can change. If a persons immunity cant change over a two year period, then there would be no need for a booster shot or annual flu shot.

Your body reacts the same to a vaccine as it does to a naturally caused infection/exposure. Different vaccines operate differently but the principle is consistent - expose the body to the virus (or a facsimile of one) in a harmless/controlled manner so that your body can develop antibodies/immunity to fight the virus the next time it encounters it. You body develops this ability in a mere week or two after getting the vaccine, or being naturally infected/exposed. And for respiratory viruses it loses it, to varying degrees, in a manner of months, maybe a year or so. Why do we get a new flu vaccine every year? According to you humans have been on earth for hundreds of thousands of years, so one flu vaccine would be enough. I am sure when your doctor says "hey you need the flu vaccine this year", your response is "humans have been on earth for hundreds of years, so my flu shot from 2011 is still good, this past decade is but a blip."

The bottom line is this - for the same reasons you need an annual flu shot/COVID shot, you will see diminished immunity to other respiratory viruses if you go out of your way to avoid exposures over a period as long as two years. Continuous exposures to routine, mostly harmless viruses is what keeps your immune system "in shape". It's the equivalent of getting annual vaccine shots for these lower level viruses. Please follow the science next time.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:13 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
If it seems like more and more vaccinated folks are getting infected it is not your imagination (the vaccine dramatically wanes in its ability to prevent infection and its degree and pace of waning varies from person to person):

Unvaccinated people were about five times more likely to test positive for the virus than the vaccinated in the week starting Sept. 26, down from about 15 times more likely in May, according to the latest age-adjusted data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which were updated Monday. https://news.bloombergtax.com/corona...nst-infections

So, the idea of firing unvaccinated workers because they can get infected and spread Covid should now be applied to vaccinated workers. Or, of course, we could get rid of that dingbat mandate altogether.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:49 AM

874 posts, read 729,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
If it seems like more and more vaccinated folks are getting infected it is not your imagination (the vaccine dramatically wanes in its ability to prevent infection and its degree and pace of waning varies from person to person):

Unvaccinated people were about five times more likely to test positive for the virus than the vaccinated in the week starting Sept. 26, down from about 15 times more likely in May, according to the latest age-adjusted data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which were updated Monday. https://news.bloombergtax.com/corona...nst-infections

So, the idea of firing unvaccinated workers because they can get infected and spread Covid should now be applied to vaccinated workers. Or, of course, we could get rid of that dingbat mandate altogether.

Expect to hear soon, I'm sorry your vaccination passport is expired

It's coming, actually it's already here in countries like israel and some european countries

After 6 months your vaccine expires, and your considered Unvaccinated, and they won't let you in anywhere

That will never happen here you say? Well, tell that to the 31,000 people who were fired for not getting Vaccinated.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:09 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
My brother was vaccinated over the summer and has Covid now, my 10 year old nephew also has it. My brother just ran the NYC Marathon and maybe caught it there who knows. He lives in Ohio BTW. My nephew is not vaccinated.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My brother was vaccinated over the summer and has Covid now, my 10 year old nephew also has it. My brother just ran the NYC Marathon and maybe caught it there who knows. He lives in Ohio BTW. My nephew is not vaccinated.
So sorry Lubby. I hope your brother and nephew only have relatively mild cases.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:29 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Per our family dr there is a severe Covid like cold going around right now out here. You will not test positive for Covid but this isn’t your normal 2-4 day cough and sniffle. This thing will be with you for a solid 2-3 weeks. He said he’s never seen a “cold” like this in is 35+ years of practice.

I feel it may be a weakened form of Covid that’s been passed around and around.
Before covid, I'd get a cough/slight cold almost every year that takes 2+ weeks to go away. I had it again recently and so did 1 of my kids.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:09 PM

186 posts, read 67,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Your post doesn't make any sense.

If you limit a human being's exposure to viruses over a two year period their antibodies/immunity to these viruses will wain. Why do you think people are being urged to get the COVID booster shot? But according to you two years isn't even the tiniest blip - nothing can change. If a persons immunity cant change over a two year period, then there would be no need for a booster shot or annual flu shot.

Your body reacts the same to a vaccine as it does to a naturally caused infection/exposure. Different vaccines operate differently but the principle is consistent - expose the body to the virus (or a facsimile of one) in a harmless/controlled manner so that your body can develop antibodies/immunity to fight the virus the next time it encounters it. You body develops this ability in a mere week or two after getting the vaccine, or being naturally infected/exposed. And for respiratory viruses it loses it, to varying degrees, in a manner of months, maybe a year or so. Why do we get a new flu vaccine every year? According to you humans have been on earth for hundreds of thousands of years, so one flu vaccine would be enough. I am sure when your doctor says "hey you need the flu vaccine this year", your response is "humans have been on earth for hundreds of years, so my flu shot from 2011 is still good, this past decade is but a blip."

The bottom line is this - for the same reasons you need an annual flu shot/COVID shot, you will see diminished immunity to other respiratory viruses if you go out of your way to avoid exposures over a period as long as two years. Continuous exposures to routine, mostly harmless viruses is what keeps your immune system "in shape". It's the equivalent of getting annual vaccine shots for these lower level viruses. Please follow the science next time.
Ok well let me know when people start dying in mass from the common cold then.

As far as the "science" there is no evidence that avoiding exposures weakens your immune system in the manner you suggest. Of course the psychological effects of isolation can affect the immune system but that's a separate issue.

Quote:
"There is no scientific evidence to suggest staying at home weakens your immune system because you're not getting enough exposures," Dr. Patel said. "We build up our immunity over many years, over decades, and this won't take a dramatic hit for spending a few months at home."
https://abc7news.com/immune-system-a...r-the/6194314/

Last edited by cablegeek117; 11-23-2021 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island