Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 09:51 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Yay another one who got their medical degree from the television. Hey, when was the last time you get tested for smallpox or polio? Bonus points if it came back positive, you polio super-spreader, you!
Polio and smallpox are not the only pathogens out there, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 10:16 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Polio and smallpox are not the only pathogens out there, no?
Name another pathogen that we routinely "vaccinate" against that you can still get, transmit, be hospitalized, and die from? Only one that comes to mind is the flu, and they don't even call that a "vaccine", it's a "flu shot". We've never ever been able to successfully vaccinate (and by that, I mean a true sterilizing vaccine of the type we give to children) against corona viruses.

Team Covid has a lot of back pedaling to do, what with your narrative collapsing in real time, but we'll help you through it, don't worry. Our side isn't as vindictive as yours.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Name another pathogen that we routinely "vaccinate" against that you can still get, transmit, be hospitalized, and die from?
HPV? Nice of you to insert "you can still get" as your caveat. At one point, COVID-19 wasn't a pathogen that "you can still get".

Old 01-14-2022, 01:07 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Name another pathogen that we routinely "vaccinate" against that you can still get, transmit, be hospitalized, and die from? Only one that comes to mind is the flu, and they don't even call that a "vaccine", it's a "flu shot". We've never ever been able to successfully vaccinate (and by that, I mean a true sterilizing vaccine of the type we give to children) against corona viruses.

Team Covid has a lot of back pedaling to do, what with your narrative collapsing in real time, but we'll help you through it, don't worry. Our side isn't as vindictive as yours.
Flu shot is a coloquial term for the flu vaccination. The correct medical term is the influenza vaccination.

Other vaccines that need boosters are Tdap, MMR, Hep B series, shingles, rotovirus, shingles, and pneumonia. They all can transmit, be hospitalized, and die from although in lesser numbers than covid.

I am not sure why someone has to be on a "side" regarding the facts of the limitations of the different vaccines that are produced.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:30 PM

5,055 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Do you understand how vaccines work?
1. Well, the flu vaccine certainly allows infection and does little (obviously) to stop the spread. Ditto the Covid vaccine.

2. Beyond that, the Covid Vaccine wanes in a matter of months AND (separate and apart from #1 and the waning) is a poor match for Delta and Omicron. (We see that mismatch very frequently with the flu vaccine.)

3. The first surprise is the number of fools who blamed the unvaccinated for the spread of Covid (see #1 and #2).

4. The second surprise is the number of fools who thought the idea of a vax mandate and a vax passport was a good one (see #1 and #2)

5. The third surprise is the number of fools who thought the 'not at risk' were prime candidates for a Covid vax. (Perhaps on planet Upsidedown, not planet Earth)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-14-2022 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-14-2022, 01:33 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
1. Well, the flu vaccine certainly allows infection and does little (obviously) to stop the spread. Ditto the Covid vaccine.
CDC

What do recent vaccine effectiveness studies show?
Recent studies show flu vaccine can reduce the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well matched to the flu vaccine viruses.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-wor...cine%20viruses.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:36 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Flu shot is a coloquial term for the flu vaccination. The correct medical term is the influenza vaccination.
Other vaccines that need boosters are Tdap, MMR, Hep B series, shingles, rotovirus, shingles, and pneumonia. They all can transmit, be hospitalized, and die from although in lesser numbers than covid.

I am not sure why someone has to be on a "side" regarding the facts of the limitations of the different vaccines that are produced.[/quote]

Man, you're all over the place here.

Yes, it's a colloquial term. I wonder why that's the only vaccine with such a term? Probably because it's at best 50% effective, depending on whether they manage to guess the dominant strains correctly before the season starst.

Tdap is tetanus. It requires a booster every every 10 years or so. It's often given as DTaP which includes diphtheria and pertussis. Tetanus is not transmittable, and when is the last time we had a big problem with diphtheria or pertussis ?

MMR has two doses, both given within the first two years of life, and then you're protected pretty much forever. The only outbreaks we see of these diseases are among limits numbers of people/religious groups that oppose all vaccines, or recent refugees/illegal immigrants.

The shingles vaccines is given as two doses, 2-6 months apart. The second "dose" isn't really a "booster" it's part of the normal administration. And it's very effective. Shingles is also not transmissible, vaxxed or not, except to someone who hasn't had chicken pox (or the chicken pox vaccine).

I don't know much about rotavirus, and never heard of anyone being vaccinated against it. It's mostly a disease of the developing world, as I understand it.

Pneumonia vaccine is only effective against bacterial pneumonia. Bacteria is far easier to deal with than viruses, and yet this vaccine isn't really used much outside of at-risk populations.

There are other vaccines that require courses. Rabies, malaria, yellow fever, etc. I had the yellow fever vax before traveling to South Africa some years ago, as well as those nasty pills for malaria. But these are rarely given in first world countries. HPV requires a course as well, Forest Hills, but protection extends up to 10 years by which time hopefully your daughter is no longer the town mattress.

This pandemic has taught me one thing - most people are utterly incapable of appreciating risks, or weight them vs. rewards. Comparing a "vaccine" like Pfizer's joke of a product, which has been rendered utterly ineffective against the dominant strain of the virus it's supposed to stop - INSIDE OF A YEAR - to commonly used sterilizing vaccines is just your Dunning-Kruger acting up again.

These are the same people that look at a 96+% survival rate in people over 85 years old to the 99.96% survival rate of most other groups and think it's just a few more people dying, when in fact the risk is approximately 10,000 times as high for the very old as it is the young and healthy.

The same people who drive their kids to school to avoid child molesters when those kids are far more at risk from an automobile accident.

They're mostly white women. And men with more Pfizer product in them than testosterone.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:57 PM

5,055 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
CDC

What do recent vaccine effectiveness studies show?
Recent studies show flu vaccine can reduce the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well matched to the flu vaccine viruses.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-wor...cine%20viruses.
I'm not sure if you are disagreeing or affirming but if you read the language and the quoted percentage carefully you'll see an agreement with my excerpt. Nothing CDC writes suggests the flu vaccine does not allow infection. And the numbers 40% and 60% aren't doing anything of significance to stop a spread.

Of course, given the rapid waning one would expect the Covid vaccine to fare even worse.

And, of course, as new strains occur one would expect the Covid vaccine to fare even worse.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-14-2022 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-14-2022, 02:05 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
[/quote]I am not sure why someone has to be on a "side" regarding the facts of the limitations of the different vaccines that are produced.[/quote]

Man, you're all over the place here.

Yes, it's a colloquial term. I wonder why that's the only vaccine with such a term? Probably because it's at best 50% effective, depending on whether they manage to guess the dominant strains correctly before the season starst.

Tdap is tetanus. It requires a booster every every 10 years or so. It's often given as DTaP which includes diphtheria and pertussis. Tetanus is not transmittable, and when is the last time we had a big problem with diphtheria or pertussis ?

MMR has two doses, both given within the first two years of life, and then you're protected pretty much forever. The only outbreaks we see of these diseases are among limits numbers of people/religious groups that oppose all vaccines, or recent refugees/illegal immigrants.

The shingles vaccines is given as two doses, 2-6 months apart. The second "dose" isn't really a "booster" it's part of the normal administration. And it's very effective. Shingles is also not transmissible, vaxxed or not, except to someone who hasn't had chicken pox (or the chicken pox vaccine).

I don't know much about rotavirus, and never heard of anyone being vaccinated against it. It's mostly a disease of the developing world, as I understand it.

Pneumonia vaccine is only effective against bacterial pneumonia. Bacteria is far easier to deal with than viruses, and yet this vaccine isn't really used much outside of at-risk populations.

There are other vaccines that require courses. Rabies, malaria, yellow fever, etc. I had the yellow fever vax before traveling to South Africa some years ago, as well as those nasty pills for malaria. But these are rarely given in first world countries. HPV requires a course as well, Forest Hills, but protection extends up to 10 years by which time hopefully your daughter is no longer the town mattress.

This pandemic has taught me one thing - most people are utterly incapable of appreciating risks, or weight them vs. rewards. Comparing a "vaccine" like Pfizer's joke of a product, which has been rendered utterly ineffective against the dominant strain of the virus it's supposed to stop - INSIDE OF A YEAR - to commonly used sterilizing vaccines is just your Dunning-Kruger acting up again.

These are the same people that look at a 96+% survival rate in people over 85 years old to the 99.96% survival rate of most other groups and think it's just a few more people dying, when in fact the risk is approximately 10,000 times as high for the very old as it is the young and healthy.

The same people who drive their kids to school to avoid child molesters when those kids are far more at risk from an automobile accident.

They're mostly white women. And men with more Pfizer product in them than testosterone.[/quote]

I LOL'ed

Old 01-14-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
That's the whole rebuttal to the OP. The value of the vaccine is not about "stopping the spread".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island